Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Jack in a box" fort - would this work?  (Read 3417 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Jack in a box" fort - would this work?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 02:59:54 am »

But if you are just building bridges to keep them closed permanently anyway (for the quicker building time), open vulnerability doesn't matter. Yeah yeah, fire titans can stand on them and melt them, whatever. Extraordinarily unlikely on the surface above ground level.

I think you're much more realistically likely to have your whole fort slaughtered due to spending an eternity with a vulnerability open in the process of building a floor roof, than you are to actually suffer any of the vulnerabilities of bridges.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 08:57:34 am »

So you are covering the "roof" with 1 tile wide, raised drawbridges? Ok, I misunderstood... I thought of building as many as neccessary 10x10 bridges.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 10:39:56 am »

I've tried that. The game counts the area under the bridges as underground, even while they're open. Same goes for hatch covers.

:/   what version was this?  I may build a mini fort and see hot it works...

34.11 - I haven't tried it in 40.xx yet, but then again I am given no reason to expect this has changed from reading the changelog.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 11:05:56 am »

So you are covering the "roof" with 1 tile wide, raised drawbridges? Ok, I misunderstood... I thought of building as many as neccessary 10x10 bridges.
? No, your original concept. As many as necessary 10x10 or whatever. But leaving them LOWERED, not raised. As appropriate for an actual roof.

I'm merely suggesting they take the role of floor panels, because they use far fewer resources and go up more quickly by far, thus limiting your vulnerability during construction.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2014, 12:31:24 pm »

A nuclear missile silo fort?

:o

._.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2014, 12:38:34 pm »

A nuclear missile silo fort?

:o
If only we could aim catapults more precisely... And load them with !!kittens!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2014, 01:04:03 pm »

If you have sand, or can trade for it, I suggest building a glass roof.  I believe it will protect from fliers and still allow light to pass through(not 100%, check the wiki) without the need for action when invaders come to visit.
Nope. Glass floors are opaque.

Ancalagon, the idea should work providing the area underneath is marked as above ground. Above ground tiles will always be above ground tiles. You can even just channel the ground and pave it over with a floor, it will be counted as inside but above ground.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2014, 01:19:24 pm »

Haven't tried it in a long time, but it used to be that if you built a wall all the way to the top of the sky, it would block fliers.  You had to either cast the top out of obsidian or construct fortifications to make it work (and I think you can no longer build fortifications on the top z-level, but I'm not sure).

Could give that a try and see if it still works.  Using that little quirk, you could create a tower that is light/outside/aboveground in the center and still protected from fliers.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2014, 01:27:06 pm »

But why do you want a tile that's aboevground/outside, when all of the practical consequences are currently based on the "light" characteristic, which doesn't change based on roofs? You're not gaining anything (yet, in current version) in exchange for your 800x more effortful "wall to the sky" plan.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2014, 01:49:42 pm »

But why do you want a tile that's aboevground/outside, when all of the practical consequences are currently based on the "light" characteristic, which doesn't change based on roofs? You're not gaining anything (yet, in current version) in exchange for your 800x more effortful "wall to the sky" plan.

Actually, that's not entirely true.  The cave adaptation variable is only reduced by tiles that are Outside.  Light/Inside tiles keep the variable at the same value without incrimenting, and dark/inside tiles cause the variable to incriment.

So if the aim is to safely prevent or cure cave adaption, crazy-high walls is petty much the solution.  Either that or just deal with the intrinsic danger of keeping dwarves topside without any total protection against fliers.

That said, I find it pretty easy to exist with cave adapted dwarves, so I haven't personally worried about it.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 01:51:21 pm by Tacomagic »

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 06:41:47 pm »

... if you don't mind your fort entrance being a sea of vomit... blue everywhere!
hamster cheese supplies are low

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 09:26:23 pm »

... if you don't mind your fort entrance being a sea of vomit... blue everywhere!

2 words: Vomit Smelting.

"This is a Vomit Long Sword.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality..."

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 09:34:39 pm »

HOW ARE YOUR DORFS MAKING BLUE VOMIT, WHAT ARE YOU FEEDING THEM?

I did actually make a (completely engraved) wall to the sky with tiletypes in the fort with the McLegendary family and Nish (who is actually properly dead after an accident during a deliberate magma flooding) but that was because I hadn't yet discovered you can use tiletypes -> paint l 1 to get light squares, paint sv 1 to get outside squares, paint st 0 to get above ground squares, and of course paint h 1 or 0 to toggle them being visible or not, though you gotta make them below ground/dark to actually hide them.

The engraved section at the top of this ss goes all the way to the sky, I filled it with soil and then had them smooth/engrave each level before up-ramp removing the interior and moving down to the next.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Had a lot of annoyance from kea corpses flying around being lame, and I had already dug out a natural engraved tower from the mountainside to the right of the fort so I decided to use the same methods to get a vomit covered party room.

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2014, 08:12:10 am »

I've been feeding them plump helmets and roasts? 

More seriously, I use Mayday's tileset, that may be why.  It's a deep blue too, so it's quite vivid.
hamster cheese supplies are low

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2014, 08:45:11 am »

? No, your original concept. As many as necessary 10x10 or whatever. But leaving them LOWERED, not raised. As appropriate for an actual roof.

I'm merely suggesting they take the role of floor panels, because they use far fewer resources and go up more quickly by far, thus limiting your vulnerability during construction.

Yes, but lowered bridges can be destroyed by building destroyers.
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3