Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: (TSG) Reclaim a Wizard's Tower!  (Read 23093 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) Reclaim a Wizard's Tower!
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2014, 06:30:15 pm »

We as in her, I thought the brood was one team in the end of the day.

Maybe it's a food thing.

There are a handful of reasons as to why asking the Brood-Mother for support is a less than ideal means of getting more mooks. First off is distance; Travel to her stronghold on the Silver Coasts from your present location would take seven months in one direction.

Next is her own situation; Your mother holds the title of War Sage, the council's equivalent of general, and is tasked with defending a 189 mile coastline against incursion from the deep forces and several of their oceanic allies. In an attempt to court the favor of some of the other broods, so that their Brood-Mothers might eventually support her challenge for an Overmage position, your mom is allowing your brood to do more than its fair share of the fighting, and as such causalities are high and spare Driders are hard to come by. These problems are compounded by the fact that the deep forces (obviously) know alot about your race, and are clever enough to seek out, besiege, and/or destroy the Brood Lords, Egg Vaults, and Nurseries that your mother relies on to rapidly output new combat-ready offspring.

Finally, as previously considered, working closely with the Brood-Mother could seriously hurt your future ambitions; If the council is annoyed or angered by her attempt to seize a seat in the upper chamber, then the last thing you want is to been seen by them as being close to her.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2014, 08:24:25 pm »

Ok, well that was exceptional stupidity on the part of virtually everyone involved. Question: Is the orc girl actually Archer's Apprentice, or just related to one, and if not actually an apprentice, where does authority over her fall? Her parent, Archer, us, (nonexistant) village authority?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 24, 2014, 08:29:19 pm »

Ok, well that was exceptional stupidity on the part of virtually everyone involved. Question: Is the orc girl actually Archer's Apprentice, or just related to one, and if not actually an apprentice, where does authority over her fall? Her parent, Archer, us, (nonexistant) village authority?

Mas uno (plus 1)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 24, 2014, 08:55:32 pm »

The Orc in question is the daughter of one of Archer's Apprentices. You know that she is fully grown, and betrothed to a male Orc. The answer to the question of 'who has authority to punish her' is murky, and would depend on the laws and customs of her specific clan. All you know for sure on the matter is that you don't.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 24, 2014, 10:51:48 pm »

Ok then. Let's see.

The one downside to specializing in Theoretical Magic, and none of the other Application Skills, is that your ability to highhandedly sling spells is rather limited. You could plan, design, and even explain or publish a spell to read the minds of some of the mightiest beings, but because you lack the conjuration to set up particularly stable Mind hooks on your own, even a person of average willpower could complicate your own mind reading attempts. Luckily for you, two of participants in the Grog incident were specifically bred to lack such spine.

You send for one of the Silk Trolls involved...
Oh Silk Trolls, so useful <3

(Conjuration & Ego Magic = Pass)

Instructing the apprentice to sit still, you wave your hand and conjure some mind hooks and mind lines, invisible, intangible, and temporary constructs that allow your consciousness to climb over and access the troll's memories. The bridge you build is shaky, to say the least, but the troll does little to disrupt it as you pass over, and once you are in its head the hard part is more or less over.
Is there a way we can trial-and-error set up more permanent/stable versions of the hooks? Not having to rely on our rather dodgy Conjuration skill every time we want to actually use our Ego magic for anything other than passive defences would be nice. Failing that, we really need to boost our Conjuration somehow; hell, that might be worthwhile doing anyway.

Two dwarves were indeed present, but they were not the ones accused by the victim. You don't even recognize them as apprentices. The additional perpetrators, you figure, must be kin of the apprentices named. It makes sense; You technically have no authority over the non-mages in the village, which you suppose doesn't have any sort of law enforcement in place yet, so the Orc must have just named somebody related who you could punish. You vaguely recall that punishing others and taking the punishment for crimes committed by kin is a thing that occurs in many Orcish tribes. There is the very real chance the de-grogged woman might not have known that framing the incorrect dwarves was an inappropriate action to take.
Seems unlikely; if she didn't know that the "punish others for crimes of kin" thing isn't practised outside Orc law, why lie about who was there instead of telling the truth and mentioning they had relatives who actually were under our authority? Nah, seems more likely she knows and just doesn't care.

So:
MalfangOrc
Baiting, racial slurs.Assault.
"Theft"
Lying to us by ommission to cover up her own act.Lying to us directly and by ommission, to frame others and cover up her own act.

Yeah, fuck 'em both.

1. Have Archer, Rivalia, Malfang, and the Orc girl come to receive our decisions at our floor. Have trolls nearby in case things get violent or physical or magical.

"I Have taken the liberty of looking into the mind of one of the silk trolls. From there, i saw very words of racism and condensation trown in by Malfang to provoke a fight with the (Name of said apprentice is to be said. We want to look precise) orc apprentice as an offer. Unfortunately, the orc was provoked and did indeed begin the fighting. The dwarves in question were not apprentices and i suspect they are from the village which harbors no police force to keep people in line there. I can put two and two together that my sister made a good offer to the dwarves regarding a taste of the grog...

Before i continue, i'd like to say that the Council of Mages is a large racial organization as such we must tolerate all members of our allied towers as wizards. Any racist slang will not be tolerated even by memebers of my beloved brood. However, i will not be punishing the kin of said dwarves as would be the case in Orc law. If (orc girls name) cannot give me there names i will only punish malfang. I will not be looking into the village below for vagabonds..not now at least.

*Clap hands*

Now then as for punishments: Malfang will help (name of orc girl) with her wounds and help her brothers wounds also, as he was wounded when scouting. Return the grog and pay back all of the lost grog with labor work in the village for a week. You may only return to the tower for food and lodging for the night.

Rivalia, i will be taken Malfang (an if the other perpetrator can be found to be in the tower and also them) off your hands for disciplinary measures regarding the grog incident.

*very seriously*

Archer, i'd like you and rivalia to stay behind."

With them in private

"I aim for this tower to one of power, of knowledge, and finesse. Keep the apprentices from going at each others throats, not just with this incident, but going here on. We're still fighting an enemy that wants nothing more but to genoicde us all and steal our knowledge to call it there own. I speak of the Deep forces. *tilt head* so play nice and may your dreams be achieved in this lifetime."

5. whatever else or maybe my speech is bad.
-1, don't like speech.
"I have elected to examine the mind of one of the silk trolls implicated. His memories make it clear that, while Malfang clearly went with the intent of starting a fight and used several racial slurs to provoke the orc in question, her account of what happened is otherwise accurate: an attempt at negotiation was made before things turned violent. It was further revealed that two of the apprentices accused were not present, only their kin. I expect Rivialia to speak with her apprentices about appropriate behavior around civilians and the wisdom of giving fully accurate testimony to Archmages who can read minds. Furthermore, I am awarding the remaining grog to Archer, who will be tasked with finding some productive use for it and with punishing his civilian for lying to a judge."
-1 to the Silk Troll bit, because the last thing we need is Malfang commiting all her future misdeeds (and I have no doubt there will be others) without bringing along someone we can actually read the mind of. Also -1 to "I expect Rivialia to speak with her apprentices about ... the wisdom of giving fully accurate testimony to Archmages who can read minds" because what? Did you mean Archer?

I say we do the following:
First, tell the Silk Troll not to mention the Mind Reading to anyone (we really should have done that as soon as we did it, or even before).
Second, call up the people involved (Archer, Riv, Orc girl, Malfang&co), and relate the following.
Spoiler: Speech (click to show/hide)

Then I suggest we have a little chat with Malfang, in which we make it extremely clear that our Brood is having enough political issues as it is without her going around running her mouth with racist slurs and driving wedges into our newly-forming tower, and that given both her position as our family member and her past as one of our apprentices, any future bullshit from her is likely going to receive harsher punishment than normal, because we're going to be avoiding any accusations of favouritism and she got off more than lightly enough here.

2. Tell our brother he's to expect Malfang to heal the scout. Tell him it look for her if she doesn't show up in 2 days.

4. Continue to teach the imp Omega magic and then do some research on how to create get a animated body to be a burning slave zombie thing. Basically a zombie that's on fire so it can do extra burning damage and scare people to death.

Things to do:
Jorgen: Traveling. What are Jorgen's apprentices doing?
Archer: Strike the Earth
Emeraldithine: Heal Orbus, Teach Marelflare Omega Magic
Emfangrin: Teach villagers archery and hunting.
Rivialia: ? She work on whatever project she is doing.
Cayon Village:The village will not be able to get a lot of farming done as it will be fall and later winter soon. From the description of this area, there the land does not have trees so we lack fuel, building materials, orchards. See if animals live in the river for fishing. Start hunting for cayon animals and gathering plants.

We need to start collecting resources for trade. Can our mages make little magical trinkets? Archer might find resources in the ground. We are going to come into conflict (not full out war, but probably disagreements) with the General because he doesn't like us and Jorgen is half demon (I think). To curb the general's power, maybe we should look for some legal way to have Milkgrass become our second village or find a way to stop the death camp. The goblins seem to be friendly, which is good. If we have someone with trapping skills we could probably investigate the gnome village to make sure hostiles are not hiding up there or possibly find allies. In the future, we should also scout out the underworld for resources and the precise location of Rugonuld's home.
+1 to all, though I'm going to say that the scouting should be well in the future.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 25, 2014, 12:47:02 am »

That's speech is nice so plus 1.

An yeah we need to make it clear to our sister about doing this carp. We're after all relying on these journeyman to do cool stuff so that we can look competent as a Archmage. Otherwise, we'll be at the empire's mercy of giving us stuff which hahaha they're not going to. Cause they like their dudes more than us eight legged freaks. ((Which is a nice movie from my childhood.))

GM: Could we also do a bit of research on what an amazing tower would be like? I'm sure we have to have a history book somewhere about great archmages an how they made the best towers ever.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2014, 12:45:08 am »

Dead? :(

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2014, 03:30:33 am »

Also -1 to "I expect Rivialia to speak with her apprentices about ... the wisdom of giving fully accurate testimony to Archmages who can read minds" because what? Did you mean Archer?
Malfang is Rivialia's apprentice. She lied to us by omission and should be told not to do that in the future.

I like Harbingerjm's speech. Let's go with that.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2015, 11:29:30 am »

Please live on! We haven't even seen the amazing fights in this game yet and I used this to create magical schools.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2015, 11:57:09 am »

Liiiiive liveeeeeee

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2015, 09:05:08 pm »

Necro Stuff:
If you continued this Weirdsound, I'd follow and give suggestions to the game. You're really good at writing. I like how you give us of an immense amount of interesting scenarios and characters and then have us choose which ones to pursue. Having a very open storyline with many options is very cool to see in a forum game. It's really up to you whether you revive this one or just stick with your current one. Whatever your decision is, I'll be fine with it.
Max avatar size is 80x80

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2015, 11:23:58 pm »

Bump

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2015, 11:44:34 pm »

Bump

Oh. What the hell, I don't have a whole lot going on right now. Perhaps I'll give this an update or two in the near future.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 23, 2015, 07:26:08 am »

Heh, neat.
Isle of the Young Gods is totally not beyond reviving either
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 25, 2015, 08:24:22 am »

Necro Stuff:
If you continued this Weirdsound, I'd follow and give suggestions to the game. You're really good at writing. I like how you give us of an immense amount of interesting scenarios and characters and then have us choose which ones to pursue. Having a very open storyline with many options is very cool to see in a forum game. It's really up to you whether you revive this one or just stick with your current one. Whatever your decision is, I'll be fine with it.

#preach

But yeah, can't wait for an update! (if you decide to continue this.)
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13