Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: (TSG) Reclaim a Wizard's Tower!  (Read 23153 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) Reclaim a Wizard's Tower!
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2014, 09:19:12 pm »

That's a great idea. We should look to see if any of our guys are skilled speakers or train some people in the art of diplomacy to be our diplomats and messangers because we have a huge amount neighbors that we could to establish contact with.

Plus i bet it would be worthwhile to have regular contacts and reports on our little region of the world. The assassins guild, Dharves, elves, a human city with people looking to leave to less cramped enviroments. It's all there for us to take advantage of.

EDIT: Also have Archer pick up that Gnome digging super shovel machine ASAP. We'll have it parked outside of the tower until we can fix but i don't want to leave it out too long or we risk someone taking it for themselves.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:22:12 pm by 3man75 »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2014, 04:28:29 pm »

Empress of Souls
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You ponder the idea of maintaining some less-than-magical employees, perhaps a few diplomats. Although by no means a poor idea, it is complicated once again by the petty traditions of these surface wizards you affiliate yourself with. With an exception made for a small garrison of troops on the first or top floor, it is considered poor form to house anybody but your Journeymen and perhaps some of their apprentices within the tower. You could, of course, flaunt tradition and do as you please, but you havn't ruled out trying to climb in rank even further and become an overmage, and having a reputation of ignoring the rules would not help your cause in doing so.

To play along, you would have to build your diplomatic corps their own HQ. On the bright side, you could easily send Emfangrin to round up some of your more silver tongued siblings to staff the place, although doing so would mean a long journey for him...

---

Evening 5:

You decide to get to the truth of the mugging for Grog Case, and one by one call in the participants. Starting with the victim.

(Judge of Intent = Roll Kept Secret)

The young Orc Woman is slightly injured, and you find it hard to read her face through the wall of tears she puts up; You can't rule out the fact that it could be a ruse. When she names her attackers, you begin to doubt her story. She claims that five of the Steel of Steel's apprentices, including two dwarves, two silk trolls, and your sister and former apprentice Malfang burst into her home, demanded she sell her grog, some of the last barrels of booze in the entire wagon train, which she was saving for her upcoming wedding, for a pitiful handful of copper. When she declined, she was savagely beaten by the trolls while the dwarves and Drider carried off their liquid prize.

The Marks on her could be from the claws of a silk troll, but they are pitifully shallow. If the trolls had truly given her a 'savage beating', it is unlikely that she would still be alive, much less able to climb to your floor of the tower. Having heard her out, you then call in the accused.

(Judge of Intent = Roll Kept Secret)

Malfang would fit right into her accusers story; This particular younger sister of yours, although a fairly talented Omega Mage, is also a troublemaker with a love of booze and little respect for others. Her story is a bit different. She claims that she and the Silk Trolls knew the Orc had booze, and visited her to try and negotiate a purchase for the planned party tonight. The negotiations went poorly, and the Orc was somehow offended by one of the offers, and attacked her guests, at which point Malfang ordered one of the Silk Trolls to pin her down, and another to simply take the Grog as damages for the assault. Your sister shows you a few freshly clean and bandaged dagger wounds on both herself and the trolls to make her point, but you note of course, that the existence of the wounds doesn't prove who started the violence.

After years of being your apprentice and a lifetime of being your sister, you do not doubt Malfang is skilled at lying to you, so you cannot be sure if she is telling the truth. The fact that none of the other accused speak much, and offer simple 'yes' or 'no' type answers to corroborate Malfang's story when addressed, is also fairly suspicious. Your sister's version of events also fails to include the two accused dwarves, who deny ever being at the crime scene.

You call Rivialia next, and she has little to offer save for the fact that she claims the dwarves in question were with her at the time of the incident. Due to the artificial and non-expressive nature of her form, the Journeyman is impossible to read through mundane means, and you know that most wizards would gladly lie through their teeth to keep an apprentice out of trouble. You've done it before, usually on Malfang's behalf...

As you are not sure if you can trust any of the witnesses in question, you decide to put off acting on the matter for the time being. For now, you confiscate the barrels of Grog, and announce that you intend to do some research and hunting while you meditate on the issue, before announcing either your decision or the next step of the investigation.

Day 6:

You spend the morning in your library, looking into a few matters. First and foremost you figure out how to make an efficient Soul Battery out of a single animal and the resources you have at hand or could easily acquire. Eventually you come up with a blueprint. It calls for a soul, a couple types of specialty silk, an Omega Mage to beat the soul into submission, a Heat Mage to provide initial ignition, and an enchanter to keep the whole construct held together. You file the blueprint away for now. You are not sure if approaching Rivialia to do something for Archer's benefit would be a good idea after he had just publicly accused her apprentices of assault.

With that out of the way, you turn your attention to whatever is lurking on the third basement floor. You first dig out your most recent copy of the Council's Encyclopedia or Wizarding Towers, and look up the previous deans of Westward. The last two, as it turns out, both practiced Tectonic Magic. The Dwarf Nervill Cray, The Grand Gambler, was more interested in interior design than magical studies. He had the whole place decked out in gold, silver, platinum, and even supernatural metal decorations (all of which have clearly since been looted by the deep forces), and once the place was prettied up to his satisfaction, he resigned as dean and moved onto his next project. You note that Nervill was still alive as of three years ago when your volume was published, so you might be able to get in touch with the council and track him down. Following Nervill, control of the tower passed to Gleana, the Ocean Star, a powerful sapphire dragoness who decided a Wizard's Tower would be a safe place to raise a clutch of eggs. She hasn't been heard from since the Deep Forces took the tower, and it is assumed that she met her end in defense of the tower.

Cross-referencing this information with the details Archer gave you about the magic down there, you are able to narrow it down to two likely suspects. The first is a Midas Chamber, a room designed to turn any matter that enters it into some precious metal or another. Usually Midas Chambers use a specific material as a key, and any being in contact with such a key will not be converted. The other possibility is a crude attempt by Gleana's spirit to resurrect herself or one of her children through matter absorption; In that case, any solid unenchanted material that enters the area will be broken down and absorbed by the dragoness's spirit. Any sapphire would then be used to reconstruct the body of a dragon, and anything else would be scattered across the spirit world at random.

Of course, it could be something else entirely; Neither former dean kept good records on their activities and journeymen, but there are only so many spells that fit the parameters that Archer Gave you, so you feel the odds of it being one of those two are greater than it not being so.

---

Come afternoon you decide to set out and hunt. By hunt, of course, you mean tail the Twin Snipers as they hunt so you can trap the soul of their kill, as although you are good at sneaking and fighting, tracking prey is a skill that eludes you.

As you travel, you chat your elder brother Scurryfingers up about the Altar. Fingers, as he is often called, is one of your mothers oldest children, and as such one of the few who actually fought for the Deep Forces before defecting. He is a quiet and grim person, and rumor has it that his heart was somehow broken when he defected. You are always a little cautious with him; The only reason why somebody of his age and skill wouldn't hold a greater position within the brood would be if his sanity or loyalty were in question.

He informs you, matter-o-factly that he knows the proper ritual to ensure safe removal the altar, but that he could instead re-dedicate it to a high demon lord who would be of more use to a Drider brood mother. "Getting the endorsement of the Tricker Quizoloph or the Prime Succubus would be a boon to somebody in your position sister. I once courted a potential future brood mother who was a high priest to the demons, and she taught me a few rituals..."

You are unsure if you agree with his assessment. Divine Magic is not officially recognized by the council, but on the other hand many priests simply report themselves as students of ritualism, and fit right in. You also suspect openly worshiping the enemy pantheon would bring about trouble, but nobody said that you had to worship openly, and the perks of a patron 'deity' might outweigh whatever hits to the reputation you might take.

Inquiring further, you grimace a bit when you learn that both the deactivation and re-dedication rituals call for the fresh corpse of a sentient creature. This is only a minor annoyance, however; Silk Trolls are such a thoroughly dominated race that they consider dying at the hands of a Drider to be the highest honor one can receive.

Your attention is quickly brought back to the matter at hand when the Twin Snipers pick up the trail of a mountain goat. After thirty minutes of silent tracking, Fingers is able to spot it, and put a bolt in its brain from fifty yards.

You rush forward, and quickly weave a trap for the soul using some of the regular Drider Silk you brought along with you. Within five minutes, the spirit of the animal is contained. You order the goat be brought to Riviala's floor of the tower for further processing, the Twin Snipers scoop the dead animal up, and the four of you return to the tower.

-1 Unit of Drider Silk
+1 Cocooned Goat Soul

Westward Tower:

Other Assets:

The World:

Planned Magic:

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2014, 05:49:27 pm »

Produce some heavy silk. How does the soul trap work? Do we have to be there or can we just check them now and then? Also do some research on the gods Fingers mentioned.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2014, 06:04:51 pm »

Well, I guess there's one obvious solution to this "she said/she said" conundrum.
Empress of Souls
Skills:
Master Ego-Mage
We should probably give both parties a warning first that whoever is found lying to the Tower Mage to frame someone for a crime/cover up a crime is going to be in deep shit. And not point out to them our magic specialty, just to see.

Hmmm... Throw a lump of wood on a string/chain in through the lower door?

No decision on the altar yet, let's just put it about that we're exploring magical options to use the altar as a focus for some potential sabotaging magic against the deep forces and seal the floor off to everyone else. Maybe see about putting in another staircase to bypass that floor.

As for the magical battery thing, we can ask Rivalia to assist us with that easily enough; the battery might be useful to Archer at the moment, but I suspect they'd also be extremely useful for a bunch of other purposes, including her enchanting, and the first one is likely going to be more of a proof-of-concept/test for improvements anyway. Hell, she might well be delighted to pass off the untested soulbattery to him. And if she isn't, pointing out that it is untested and basically a proof-of-concept will probably make the coward decline it and wait for a later one anyway (I know I would).

Produce some heavy silk. How does the soul trap work? Do we have to be there or can we just check them now and then? Also do some research on the gods Fingers mentioned.
+1
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2014, 06:19:38 pm »

Gods damn it. As I feared, everybody is a lying churl. We should probably just give the grog back or force the apprentices to repay the orc at fair prices, since sorting out who attacked who first or whatever is probably impossible without an extensive and deeply magical investigation. The injuries, at least, will heal and in theory no harm will have been done.

I'm opposed to wasting any more time on this fiasco, but if we're determined we probably could use Ego Magic to figure something out.

Either way, let's get on with the digger-thing. We're not asking Rivialia to help Archer, we're asking her to help everyone.

Hmmm... Throw a lump of wood on a string/chain in through the lower door?
Bear in mind it's still a complete pain to open the damned thing. Once we get it open, yeah.

+1
I think it's just a container, not a wait-for-it-to-collect-new-things trap.

What's the heavy silk for?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 17, 2014, 06:23:43 pm »

Gods damn it. As I feared, everybody is a lying churl. We should probably just give the grog back or force the apprentices to repay the orc at fair prices, since sorting out who attacked who first or whatever is probably impossible without an extensive and deeply magical investigation. The injuries, at least, will heal and in theory no harm will have been done.

I'm opposed to wasting any more time on this fiasco, but if we're determined we probably could use Ego Magic to figure something out.
I mostly just want an excuse to practise our mind magic on suckers, and the chance to make an example of people caught lying to us is a nice bonus.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 17, 2014, 06:41:08 pm »

"One or both parties are lying, admit it now and no more will be made of this.  If not, I will rip the truth from everybody's heads, and I cannot speak for the state of you when I am done.

"Last.  Chance."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2014, 06:54:16 pm »

I don't think a mutual threat like that is going to be a great idea. This isn't a solomon type situation here, nether one of them is going to want to get mind fucked by us. It will just make it into a game of chicken between the two of them to see who confesses first. (Or, if we can do it perfectly safely, and Malfang knows that, then she will just win) It won't get justice (well, no more so then just arbitrarily deciding who is right, a 50% shot, that also comes with the up side of not having threatened the person who is in the right.)

I think we should just brain scan them to be sure. Maaaybe give them one last chance to confess with a reminder that we are a archmage.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2014, 07:01:58 pm »

+1
I think it's just a container, not a wait-for-it-to-collect-new-things trap.

What's the heavy silk for?
1. We don't know that.
2. The soul battery.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2014, 07:07:25 pm »

Pelvis has a heat mage and we can do omega magic. Rivalia does the enchanting and bam one soul battery.

I think we should tell them to pay for a new grog barrel and be done it. We'll need rivalia for the enchanting and archer for making use of that battery an gnome drone.

Besides nothing too damaging happened. We should also work on getting better at muscle reading somehow..research better lie detecting magic!

Also once our brother returns will send him to the cities to find some magical apprentices who will be our diplomat. They'll be under our brothers command and will take classes as needed. They must have at least basic wizaldry potential in order to get past the preset traditions.

Also how can we get more silk trolls?

Edit: Gm is it okay to have a diplomatic corp with there own HQ guild hall or would that be bad form also?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:19:46 pm by 3man75 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 17, 2014, 07:47:17 pm »

"One or both parties are lying, admit it now and no more will be made of this.  If not, I will rip the truth from everybody's heads, and I cannot speak for the state of you when I am done.

"Last.  Chance."
I don't think a mutual threat like that is going to be a great idea. This isn't a solomon type situation here, nether one of them is going to want to get mind fucked by us. It will just make it into a game of chicken between the two of them to see who confesses first. (Or, if we can do it perfectly safely, and Malfang knows that, then she will just win) It won't get justice (well, no more so then just arbitrarily deciding who is right, a 50% shot, that also comes with the up side of not having threatened the person who is in the right.)

I think we should just brain scan them to be sure. Maaaybe give them one last chance to confess with a reminder that we are a archmage.
Not a fan of threatening or risking anything, personally. Among other issues, we're never going to be able to cut all of the bullshit from our surroundings, so it'd probably do more to establish ourselves as a hardass than really solve anything.

Again, it's a relatively minor and, as far as the lying is concerned, relatively routine issue.

Also once our brother returns will send him to the cities to find some magical apprentices who will be our diplomat. They'll be under our brothers command and will take classes as needed. They must have at least basic wizaldry potential in order to get past the preset traditions.
I feel like a diplomat should be far more well-known and well-trusted by us than some random urchin we picked up off the streets and stuffed into a classy robe.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2014, 08:28:22 pm »

Immediate Actions:
+1
Pelvis has a heat mage and we can do omega magic. Rivalia does the enchanting and bam one soul battery.
+1 Have Rivalia, Emeraldithine, and Marelflare create the soul battery with the required materials.
-Have Archer fix the Shovel
-Use Shovel:
See if the Cayon Village needs help with construction or anything in general.
See if there are artifacts or minerals at the Potential Dig Site.
Future Actions:
Go to the Potential Gnomish Site. The party needs to composed of climbers or flyers who can fight, use diplomacy, and avoid traps. There could be gnomes hiding up there, hostiles or raiders who killed the gnomes, Gleana the Ocean Star, her children, or her apprentices, or underworld forces. If gnomes are hiding up their we should explain we are friendly forces and not Drugar forces and that it is safe to come out. The gnomes could be our trading partners, trap makers, fighters, and construction workers. They also might know what happened to the Gleana. If they are hostiles we can ask for them to leave, surrender, or attack them.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »

What? We don't need to go mind reading people. Malfang is clearly guilty! Even if we take her story as fact, taking the booze as "damages" without having a senior mage (or a judge we appoint) award them is clearly inappropriate. Return the grog to the orc girl, heal her injuries (we are a bio mage!) and make the following announcement:

"There is no conclusive evidence one way or the other to determine who started the fight. Both accounts agree, however, that the apprentices under the Steel of Steel took the grog without paying, either as brazen theft, or as "damages" for assaulting them. Regardless of who started it, it is inappropriate for a mere apprentice to take justice into their own hands in that manner. The remaining barrels are to be returned to their original owner, who will be healed of the injuries she sustained in the fight. Malfang and the others will be left to heal naturally as punishment for failing to report the alteraction."

Also:
Immediate Actions:
+1
+1 Have Rivalia, Emeraldithine, and Marelflare create the soul battery with the required materials.
-Have Archer fix the Shovel
-Use Shovel:
See if the Cayon Village needs help with construction or anything in general.
See if there are artifacts or minerals at the Potential Dig Site.
Future Actions:
Go to the Potential Gnomish Site. The party needs to composed of climbers or flyers who can fight, use diplomacy, and avoid traps. There could be gnomes hiding up there, hostiles or raiders who killed the gnomes, Gleana the Ocean Star, her children, or her apprentices, or underworld forces. If gnomes are hiding up their we should explain we are friendly forces and not Drugar forces and that it is safe to come out. The gnomes could be our trading partners, trap makers, fighters, and construction workers. They also might know what happened to the Gleana. If they are hostiles we can ask for them to leave, surrender, or attack them.
+1 to all of these

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2014, 09:05:07 pm »

What? We don't need to go mind reading people. Malfang is clearly guilty! Even if we take her story as fact, taking the booze as "damages" without having a senior mage (or a judge we appoint) award them is clearly inappropriate. Return the grog to the orc girl, heal her injuries (we are a bio mage!) and make the following announcement:

"There is no conclusive evidence one way or the other to determine who started the fight. Both accounts agree, however, that the apprentices under the Steel of Steel took the grog without paying, either as brazen theft, or as "damages" for assaulting them. Regardless of who started it, it is inappropriate for a mere apprentice to take justice into their own hands in that manner. The remaining barrels are to be returned to their original owner, who will be healed of the injuries she sustained in the fight. Malfang and the others will be left to heal naturally as punishment for failing to report the alteraction."
+1

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2014, 09:31:32 pm »

What? We don't need to go mind reading people.
Who said anything about "need"? We're a Wizard! We should take every opportunity we can to practice our mind-fuckery magic!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13