Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74209 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country
« Reply #705 on: December 03, 2014, 11:43:51 pm »

I'll help, OPEC is the only group capable of single handedly driving oil to 40$ or to 120$ with their 45% market share and ability to turn up and down production with little loss in time and efficiency. [That isn't the case for Russia with its inflexible production means i.e. old Siberian wells that would become inoperable if shut down temporarily. That isn't the case for the USA with decentralized production means.] They are allowing the production overflow to continue to make high cost producers shutter and [re]gain market share from the US and Russia and allow the price to rise later. This may or may not line up with certain US interests to put a squeeze on the Russian economy, but there's no way to actually know that.

Unless someone here has some recordings of phone calls John Kerry has made to OPEC leaders in regards to the subject.. but I don't think that's the case.

Hell, OPEC simply not cutting production from current levels is what drove Brent to 70$/barrel. That is rather indicative that OPEC is  still the head honcho of price discovery in the markets.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 11:46:30 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: December 03, 2014, 11:45:55 pm »

Unless someone here has some recordings of phone calls John Kerry has made to OPEC leaders in regards to the subject.. but I don't think that's the case.

You must be new here.  You don't need evidence when it comes to the US.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: December 04, 2014, 03:01:42 am »

Well, I do remember some credible-looking article talking about a trade off: the US gave something the Saudi wanted in Syria, in exchange for increased oil production. Which the Saudi were happier to do to cripple the US shale oil producers.

But I can't for the live of me find them again.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: December 04, 2014, 03:23:26 am »

That.. literally makes no sense. The US colluded with Saudi Arabia to *not cut production* in order to bring down oil prices, and to help OPEC take back market share from the US and Russia? I'm sorry, but no, that isn't the case.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: December 04, 2014, 03:50:28 am »

But is this difference in methods due to one side being more moral than the other, or due to different circumstances in which each side tried to further its goals?
No, seriously, this is my main issue with the western media. It claims that the USA didn't annex Ukrainian territories and support pro-western separatists with arms and troops because it obeys international law, while Russia doesn't and is therefore bad, while I think that the USA really would've done the same if it were in Russia's position.

Consider the following: Canada loses its nukes somehow and has a nonviolent revolution where communists prominently feature. Existing government is overthrown and the new one is openly anti-western and wishes to establish close ties with Russia, China and Iran. A large, important American military base sits right across the USA-Canada border in a superbly defensible region that openly supports the USA and wishes to be a part of it. In another place right across the border, the people of two Canadian provinces say that they want nothing to do with the new "communist" government, capture governmental buildings and declare the independence of "the Republics of Vancouver and Calgary". New Canadian government reacts badly to that and sends forces to suppress the rebels.

Question: what would the USA do?

@ Helgoland ans Sheb: I'd like to ask you both: what would you think of me were I to write
But sooner or later, Russia will stand up, and there will be a war. I know I shall be on the barricades the day Obama and Merkel threaten my beloved Motherland. And I hope I won't have to shoot any of you.

Huh? Since when did the US invade Ukraine and annex some of their provinces?

And yes I know I'm several pages behind.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: December 04, 2014, 03:54:03 am »

But is this difference in methods due to one side being more moral than the other, or due to different circumstances in which each side tried to further its goals?
No, seriously, this is my main issue with the western media. It claims that the USA didn't annex Ukrainian territories and support pro-western separatists with arms and troops because it obeys international law, while Russia doesn't and is therefore bad, while I think that the USA really would've done the same if it were in Russia's position.

Consider the following: Canada loses its nukes somehow and has a nonviolent revolution where communists prominently feature. Existing government is overthrown and the new one is openly anti-western and wishes to establish close ties with Russia, China and Iran. A large, important American military base sits right across the USA-Canada border in a superbly defensible region that openly supports the USA and wishes to be a part of it. In another place right across the border, the people of two Canadian provinces say that they want nothing to do with the new "communist" government, capture governmental buildings and declare the independence of "the Republics of Vancouver and Calgary". New Canadian government reacts badly to that and sends forces to suppress the rebels.

@ Helgoland ans Sheb: I'd like to ask you both: what would you think of me were I to write
But sooner or later, Russia will stand up, and there will be a war. I know I shall be on the barricades the day Obama and Merkel threaten my beloved Motherland. And I hope I won't have to shoot any of you.

It didn't, but what Knit Tie argues is that annexation does not automatically make you more evil than the opposing side and from myself I'll add that American occupation is definitely worse than Russian annexation.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: December 04, 2014, 03:55:09 am »

Sergarr, the Chechens, or any of the country "liberated" in 1945, might disagree with that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: December 04, 2014, 04:00:43 am »

It didn't, but what Knit Tie argues is that annexation does not automatically make you more evil than the opposing side and from myself I'll add that American occupation is definitely worse than Russian annexation.

Even taking into account the cultural differences between the MidEast vs Eastern Europe?

Anyways, I kinda-sorta skimmed the last several pages because tired brain and Russia mostly just sounds butthurt, I dunno, at least thats the conclusion some people may have made or maybe that's just my brain being tired. goodnight.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: December 04, 2014, 04:15:52 am »

Sergarr, the Chechens, or any of the country "liberated" in 1945, might disagree with that.
You say Iraq is now better off with American occupation than Poland with Soviet occupation?

Have you seen the difference in life quality?
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread â„–3: Love your Country
« Reply #715 on: December 04, 2014, 04:20:54 am »

sergie, if you mean 45 then you have no leg to stand on

now if you're saying soviets were occupying the place the whole time the red army was there yeah okay i'll take that

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 04, 2014, 04:22:17 am »

I'm fairly sure that even in 45 quality of life on Poland was higher than in Iraq.
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread â„–3: Love your Country
« Reply #717 on: December 04, 2014, 04:25:55 am »

now that's just

the poster child of poland's fuckedness was warsaw, check out some pictures of it at your leisure - prewar, midwar, directly postwar, 60s - and tell me it was better than iraq after americans came around

no seriously u wot m8

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 04, 2014, 04:30:10 am »

Poland has future, Iraq doesn't. Thus quality of life in Poland will always be higher than in Iraq, since Iraq is doomed no matter what.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 04, 2014, 04:33:59 am »

he has a point, there is a Polish nationality holding Poland together, there is no Iraqi nationality holding Iraq together.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62