Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74328 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3
« Reply #570 on: December 02, 2014, 02:20:41 pm »

What's your take on this? IMO, importing foreigners, or at least foreign-born or educated people did a lot of good to Estonia and Georgia, among others. Who are they?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 02, 2014, 02:21:45 pm »

Ukraine got new cabinet of ministers today. Including three foreigners who got citizenship and place in the government during one day
Was the foreigner law proposed what, only two weeks ago?

The Svoboda party must be VERY UNHAPPY right now...

._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 02, 2014, 02:28:57 pm »

So, Donald Tusk, the foreign Polish PM now Chairman of the Council of the European Union, called on Russia to remove its forces from Ukraine. Not surprising coming from Tusk, but surprisingly bold coming from the Chairman of the Council.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 02, 2014, 02:29:46 pm »

Ukraine got new cabinet of ministers today. Including three foreigners who got citizenship and place in the government during one day

What are people saying about this? I don't imagine they're too happy, but all of these people are very qualified. Anyway according to the Kyiv Post three are Natalia Jareshko, a former US State Department employee who's been in Ukraine for almost two decades already; Aivaras Abromavicus, a partner in a major Lithuanian investment firm; and Aleksander Kvitashvili, the former Health Minister of Georgia. They will be the ministers of finance, economy, and health, respectively.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:16 pm »

What's your take on this? IMO, importing foreigners, or at least foreign-born or educated people did a lot of good to Estonia and Georgia, among others. Who are they?
I don't really think that there's a big practical difference between foreign and domestic-born ministers, if they are equally well educated. If foreign ministers are much more competent than domestic ones, though, I agree that it would be prudent to import them.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:26 pm »

I hope knit tie can translate that for me.
._.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 02, 2014, 02:37:48 pm »

Knit tie: the fact remains that the best universities in the world are in the US and UK, so it makes sense to hire graduates of those universities. For a country such as Ukraine, I guess that the fact that foreigners are seen as not corrupt (and don't have patronage network in the country to force them into corruption) would be a plus too.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 02, 2014, 02:50:31 pm »

For a country such as Ukraine, I guess that the fact that foreigners are seen as not corrupt (and don't have patronage network in the country to force them into corruption) would be a plus too.
That's an important factor as well - foreign ministers have no relatives in the country, so nepotism is greatly diminished. Not sure about corruption, though.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 02, 2014, 02:51:49 pm »

I'd love more than three

I think Ukraine has a goldmine of professionals in Ukrainian diaspora all over the world. Goldmine we ignore for two decades

As for not ethnic Ukrainians... As long as such practice is limited, I am fine with it
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 02, 2014, 03:01:27 pm »

I hope knit tie can translate that for me.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 03:06:00 pm by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 02, 2014, 05:47:34 pm »

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 02, 2014, 05:57:52 pm »

Many, many Russian tanks.

It's funny how the article is in Russian (or Ukranian), but the image details are in English. Also, three tanks do not equal many. I thought the 'many, many' was in reference to the picture.

Edit: Also, google translate link for english. https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsled-vzayt.livejournal.com%2F663.html&edit-text=&act=url
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:01:49 pm by smjjames »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 02, 2014, 06:06:33 pm »

It's funny how the article is in Russian (or Ukranian), but the image details are in English. Also, three tanks do not equal many.
You know, I keep wondering, why is Ukrainian government so obsessed with trying to portray the separatists as predominantly Russian soldiers, while they are mostly Donbassian volunteers? One of the reasons may as well be that it's too embarassed to admit that a bunch of militiamen can win against the Ukrainian army.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 06:15:07 pm by Knit tie »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 02, 2014, 06:18:07 pm »

Or maybe it's because they have to prove to the world again and again that they're fighting Russia? After all, yourself refused to believe russians soldiers were involved until recently.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 02, 2014, 06:18:54 pm »

It's funny how the article is in Russian (or Ukranian), but the image details are in English. Also, three tanks do not equal many.
You know, I keep wondering, why is Ukrainian government so obsessed with trying to portray the separatists as predominantly Russian soldiers, while they are mostly Donbassian volunteers? One of the reasons may as well be that it's too embarassed to admit that a bunch of militiamen can win against the Ukrainian army.

They did have some embarassing blunders like that group that tried to go into Donetsk (I forget what city actually, maybe it was SLavyansk) with some APCs and pratically surrendered without a fight.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 62