Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74374 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3
« Reply #555 on: December 02, 2014, 11:43:27 am »

It can't hurt to have multiple threads around to facilitate parallel conversations.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: December 02, 2014, 11:59:32 am »

It can't hurt to have multiple threads around to facilitate parallel conversations.
Helgo, that's not a conversation. That's just bunch of clowns showing their opinions in each other's faces while normal people watch.

By the way, do you, by any chance, know where Mictlantecuhtli is from? He sounds like someone from the Baltics.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: December 02, 2014, 12:06:41 pm »

<Works better to ask the person directly> American, born of an Israeli and a German. Though my father's family was French pre-migration technically. Yes, my parents had a weird story.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:11:30 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: December 02, 2014, 12:11:56 pm »

Helgo, that's not a conversation. That's just bunch of clowns showing their opinions in each other's faces while normal people watch.
How's that not a conversation? That's 99% of human interaction! Of course, in RL people talk more when they have similar opinions already, and then they feel intelligent because others agree with them.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: December 02, 2014, 12:17:39 pm »

<Works better to ask the person directly> American, born of an Israeli and a German. Though my father's family was French pre-migration technically.
I did, you ignored me. Sorry for the third party question, though.

I was interested in where are you from because your impressively hostile attitude towards Russia would fit someone from the Baltics perfectly, and I wanted to test my theory.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »

Nothing to do with ethnicity, I just don't enjoy states falling into paternalism and autocracy, guided by a forceful cult of personality. It tends to lead to issues.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: December 02, 2014, 12:36:34 pm »

Tangentially related, I think the only the most strongly opinionated people talk about Russia on this forum. Everybody else just watches.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: December 02, 2014, 01:26:14 pm »

Well, it's hard not to have a strong opinion about invasions. Although we do only speak about subject we care about, as your several attempt to move the discussion toward Russian fashion (?) have shown.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: December 02, 2014, 01:56:24 pm »

Well, it's hard not to have a strong opinion about invasions. Although we do only speak about subject we care about, as your several attempt to move the discussion toward Russian fashion (?) have shown.
Dandy and proud of it :P

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: December 02, 2014, 01:59:18 pm »

I have a lot of interest in Russia, but I only weigh in occasionally because the talk is usually about Ukraine and Crimea and that doesn't tend to go anywhere (though it's a decent source of useful vitriol for dilution.) The Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России was supposed to be like that, I think, but that's not quite what happened...
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: December 02, 2014, 02:03:55 pm »

I have a lot of interest in Russia, but I only weigh in occasionally because the talk is usually about Ukraine and Crimea and that doesn't tend to go anywhere (though it's a decent source of useful vitriol for dilution and use.) The Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России was supposed to be like that, I think, but that's not quite what happened...
Unfortunatley, just as inflammation molecules tend to spread from the wounded area to the other parts of the body, inflammatory topics tend to spread to other threads of the forum.

But hey! We can make a new start: let's talk about Russia and avoid mentioning anything related to Ukraine. Who's with me?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: December 02, 2014, 02:05:09 pm »

Is the impending collapse of doom of the end of time of the Russian economy off-topic too?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: December 02, 2014, 02:08:29 pm »

I have a lot of interest in Russia, but I only weigh in occasionally because the talk is usually about Ukraine and Crimea and that doesn't tend to go anywhere (though it's a decent source of useful vitriol for dilution and use.) The Russia Watch Thread/Ветка о России was supposed to be like that, I think, but that's not quite what happened...
Unfortunatley, just as inflammation molecules tend to spread from the wounded area to the other parts of the body, inflammatory topics tend to spread to other threads of the forum.

But hey! We can make a new start: let's talk about Russia and avoid mentioning anything related to Ukraine. Who's with me?

You're asking in the wrong thread since this one is about Ukraine.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: December 02, 2014, 02:15:09 pm »

You're asking in the wrong thread since this one is about Ukraine.
Goddammit!

So, uh, should we move back into the bitcoin Russia thread?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: December 02, 2014, 02:18:53 pm »

Ukraine got new cabinet of ministers today. Including three foreigners who got citizenship and place in the government during one day
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 62