Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74416 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Do not Tempt the Toad.
« Reply #525 on: November 30, 2014, 10:31:03 am »

Knit tie Define pro-Russian, please
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 30, 2014, 10:47:23 am »

Of course the old kneejerk fallback, we just hate Russia and can't be trusted.
No, you just disagree with my point of view, that's all. It's an unfortunate quality of the human psyche that we consider arguments of those whose political position is different from ours to be simultaneously more radical and less intelligent than they really are. I am trying my best to overcome this inclination, but I am, sadly, not always successful :(

I still see your point in that Russia did escalate this crisis, whatever reason it had in doing so, and that denying the fact that without its annexation of Crimea no war would most likely occur is just delusional.

I don't really believe that either the Donbass rebels or the Ukrainian separatists can claim moral superiority over each other, at least as far as motives go: those who want freedom vs. those who wish to preserve the integrity of their country, and I recognise that Russian annexation of Crimea is the prime reason why this conflict occured in the first place, but I still support the rebels and, by proxy, Russia because, silly as it is in the modern world to be so tied to one nation, I am Russian. A sort of irrational patriotism, if you will, but one that I am willing to abandon if the rebels start growing more radical and start to turn into terrorists, rather than just separatists.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 30, 2014, 10:54:05 am »

You know, one can perfectly well be a great patriot while opposing whatever the current leadership is doing if its thought to be harmful to the country and its people way or another.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 30, 2014, 10:58:30 am »

Knit Tie, you dont seem to have a problem with thinking those you disagree with are more radical and less intelligent.  You are rather ahead of the curve in that regard.  You seem to have a problem with putting too much faith in sources that should be treated with extreme caution.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 30, 2014, 11:02:37 am »

I don't really believe that either the Donbass rebels or the Ukrainian separatists can claim moral superiority over each other, at least as far as motives go: those who want freedom vs. those who wish to preserve the integrity of their country, and I recognise that Russian annexation of Crimea is the prime reason why this conflict occured in the first place, but I still support the rebels and, by proxy, Russia because, silly as it is in the modern world to be so tied to one nation, I am Russian. A sort of irrational patriotism, if you will, but one that I am willing to abandon if the rebels start growing more radical and start to turn into terrorists, rather than just separatists.
Amusing.

The next question: how will Russia (or Russian nation) benefit if rebels (your terminology) will win?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 30, 2014, 11:13:57 am »

You know, one can perfectly well be a great patriot while opposing whatever the current leadership is doing if its thought to be harmful to the country and its people way or another.
Of course! And I would be opposing Russia if it was doing something like the first Chechen war, with murder of civilians and all, but, in my opinion, the Ukrainian crisis is much more morally grey and ambiguous than that.

Knit Tie, you dont seem to have a problem with thinking those you disagree with are more radical and less intelligent. 
I actually do. I am sorry if I give in to my more animal instincts sometimes, rest assured that I am of a very high opinion of you all and consider you to be my friends.

You seem to have a problem with putting too much faith in sources that should be treated with extreme caution.
I did make that one absolutely embarassing mistake with the badly photoshopped plane photo, yes, but I try as hard as I can to be reasonable otherwise. I just happen to agree with the opinion of the man who said that it was irrational national pride, and not ethinic hatred or imperialistic ambitions, that drove Russians to annex Crimea and Donbassians to start the secession.

FAKEEDIT:
The next question: how will Russia (or Russian nation) benefit if rebels (your terminology) will win?
There'll be a big "We won!" celebration at first, but, all in all, Russia will only lose, as it will be left with the need to provide aid to a completely devastated Donbass amid an economic recession and a torpedoed relations with the USA to boot.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 30, 2014, 11:18:39 am »

There'll be a big "We won!" celebration at first, but, all in all, Russia will only lose, as it will be left with the need to provide aid to a completely devastated Donbass amid an economic recession and a torpedoed relations with the USA to boot.
So by supporting "rebels" you have an anti-Russian position, right?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 30, 2014, 11:20:57 am »

So by supporting "rebels" you have an anti-Russian position, right?
A position contrary to the realpolitik interests of Russia, yes indeed!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3
« Reply #533 on: November 30, 2014, 11:28:15 am »

Oh.... I see

Умом Россию не понять,
Аршином общим не измерить:
У ней особенная стать –
В Россию можно только верить.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 30, 2014, 11:33:10 am »

You are correct, UR, the current desire of Russians to suport the Donbass is born not out of reason, but rather out of a quixotic desite to do the "right thing." But then again, is it such an uncommon occurence in politics?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 30, 2014, 11:36:13 am »

You know, If Russian television will start propagandizing that DNR\LNR are bad guys. I think one week will be enough to reverse the opinion.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 30, 2014, 11:40:31 am »

You know, If Russian television will start propagandizing that DNR\LNR are bad guys. I think one week will be enough to reverse the opinion.
Perhaps, but what does it change? The same applies to the Ukrainian television and people. It is possible to imagine your state channels condemning Kolomoisky, for example, and his volunteer battalions as "criminals", if the political situation in Kiyv changes.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 30, 2014, 11:43:36 am »

What an idiotic fake....

NATO Flag and nazi flag in one picture made me lol so hard. Dear Russian propagandists add Israeli flag to the mix next time.

BTW, guys, note how Russian propaganda works on crating NATO=Third Reich formula in heads of Russians
Some vatniks traced the origin of that photo: it reportedly originated on a VK page of a guy named Oleg Penya, a Ukrainian nationalist from Zhitomir who serves in the Azov battalion:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
He deleted his VK account after being disclosed.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:52:45 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 30, 2014, 12:03:13 pm »

Khm...  Heard that surname.  He is exactly that kind of a person who will proudly wave swastika and do a nazi salute at any opportunity. But still Nato flag  doesn't fit. Because that kind of person like "Jew-controlled USA" no more than "Jew-controlled Russia"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 30, 2014, 05:22:07 pm »

I still don't get what's bad about having Nazis fight for you. Would you rather have them not being hit by bullets? You just have to take care of them once they get home, which is difficult in a Western European state, but should be no problem at all in countries with a less, um, squeamish populace.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 62