Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74408 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Do not Tempt the Toad.
« Reply #495 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:27 am »

Can we please stop discussing Libya here? I think there's a thread for it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 24, 2014, 10:44:09 am »

Can we please stop discussing Libya here? I think there's a thread for it.

^
This. The libya discussion is offtopic in this thread.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 24, 2014, 11:12:02 am »

You just want to ignore what problem it was addressing and talk about a different problem.

Remind me again why I am considered the rude one when shit like this is par for the course?
Because, to be honest, your arguments look and sound like personal attacks.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 24, 2014, 11:15:45 am »

It's very frustrating for me.  If people say "Q because of P" repeatedly and each time the response is "But why Q, you gave no reason for Q!", the only thing to do is point out that they are ignoring P.  But "You are ignoring P!" gets labeled an ad hominum.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:34:36 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 24, 2014, 11:19:26 am »

It's very frustrating for me.  If people say "Q because of P" repeatedly and each time the response is "But why Q, you gave no reason for Q!", the only thing to do is point out that they are ignoring Q.  But "You are ignoring P!" gets labeled an ad hominum.
I've seen quite a lot of your posts in Ukraine-related threads, and I think it has to do something with how you are presenting your arguments. It look rather condescending at times.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: November 24, 2014, 11:22:08 am »

It's very frustrating for me.  If people say "Q because of P" repeatedly and each time the response is "But why Q, you gave no reason for Q!", the only thing to do is point out that they are ignoring Q.  But "You are ignoring P!" gets labeled an ad hominum.
Sorry mainiac, but you sometimes really go straight for the personal qualities of your opponent. There are many ways to politely tell him that he is evading the question, "I don't think that X is relevant here, because Y", for example. There's no need to augment your every second post with a "you are stupid for asking this question" ad hominem.

I mean, "the fact that Crimea wanted to join Russia does not mean that Russia was excused in breaching international law" is a much more pleasant post to read than "Russia annexed Ukraine. You must watch a lot of propaganda if you do not see this," isn't it?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 11:24:31 am by Knit tie »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: November 24, 2014, 11:28:11 am »

I mean, "the fact that Crimea wanted to join Russia does not mean that Russia was excused in breaching international law" is a much more pleasant post to read than "Russia annexed Ukraine. You must watch a lot of propaganda if you do not see this," isn't it?

I would think that your posts seem to have this quality...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: November 24, 2014, 11:29:14 am »

I would think that your posts seem to have this quality...
Then you know how I feel.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: November 24, 2014, 11:30:43 am »

Sorry mainiac, but you sometimes really go straight for the personal qualities of your opponent. There are many ways to politely tell him that he is evading the question

Well I started there:

The goal of Libya was to make one side of two win a conflict.  It was believed that if the wrong side won, bad shit would happen.  If you ask why intervene while ignoring this, the primary stated goal, you are begging the question.

Before going to the rude thing:

Yes it is a cure.  You just want to ignore what problem it was addressing and talk about a different problem.

But people just go after the rude thing without noticing the post that proceeded it.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: November 24, 2014, 11:45:23 am »

But people just go after the rude thing without noticing the post that proceeded it.
I don't believe that when your opponents refuse to adopt your point of view after just one post from your side, it's somehow rude and calls for rudeness in return.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: November 24, 2014, 11:52:58 am »

...that's not what I said.  They don't need to immediately recognize how right I am, they just should recognize that the point was raised.  Immediately after I said that the goal was regime change in Libya and Sheb said that Gaddaffi was stopped out of fear of civilian attacks, sergarr comes back with a post that ignores that the goal was regime change.  Maybe he wants to argue the goal was regime change.  Maybe he wants to argue that it was a crap goal.  But completely ignoring the point raised completely undermines the conversation and is very rude in my estimation.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: November 24, 2014, 11:55:49 am »

...that's not what I said.  They don't need to immediately recognize how right I am, they just should recognize that the point was raised.  Immediately after I said that the goal was regime change in Libya and Sheb said that Gaddaffi was stopped out of fear of civilian attacks, sergarr comes back with a post that ignores that the goal was regime change.  Maybe he wants to argue the goal was regime change.  Maybe he wants to argue that it was a crap goal.  But completely ignoring the point raised completely undermines the conversation and is very rude in my estimation.
Still, even if you consider something to be very rude, it is considered a polite thing to do to not be rude in return.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: November 24, 2014, 11:58:50 am »

And this goes back to my earlier point...
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: November 24, 2014, 12:13:19 pm »

You are welcome to point out that you consider your opponent's behaviour impolite, but there's no reason to do it in such personal tone:
Yes it is a cure.  You just want to ignore what problem it was addressing and talk about a different problem.
it is always possible to say
Yes, removing Quadaffi is a cure.  Please don't ignore my comment on what problem was the intervention adressing and shift the topic, I find it rude.
instead.

EDIT: I would recommend not using the collocation "you just", because most people strongly associate it with a belittling personal attack.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 12:19:49 pm by Knit tie »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: November 24, 2014, 12:20:20 pm »

A lot of people talk like that.  Yourself for example.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62