Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74342 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Civilised Edition.
« Reply #360 on: November 20, 2014, 04:17:06 pm »

Okay let's assume that there would have been a rebellion without Putin's support.  What would it have actually looked like?  My guess is non-violent protesters occupy some government buildings for a few weeks.  Relatively few small arms and no heavy arms.  Death toll below 100 people if it even cracks the single digits.

Bad outcome if you think that the Ukrainian government sucks or you want a rebellion for some reason or other.  But if your motive is that you fear for the safety of Russian civilians in eastern ukraine it's an excellent outcome, far, far, far better then the situation we are seeing.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 20, 2014, 04:38:44 pm »

Yeah, actually, we know what that would have looked like: Odessa and Kharkiv.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 20, 2014, 04:49:00 pm »

I don't think that Odessa events happened without direct Russian influence
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 20, 2014, 05:06:03 pm »

That mentioned, has the investigation in Odessa gone anywhere? Last time I heard they said that "there was not enough evidence to determine the culprit". Also people in Dom Profsoyzov were apparently shot by somebody from inside.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 20, 2014, 05:12:44 pm »

Okay let's assume that there would have been a rebellion without Putin's support.  What would it have actually looked like?  My guess is non-violent protesters occupy some government buildings for a few weeks.  Relatively few small arms and no heavy arms.  Death toll below 100 people if it even cracks the single digits.

Bad outcome if you think that the Ukrainian government sucks or you want a rebellion for some reason or other.  But if your motive is that you fear for the safety of Russian civilians in eastern ukraine it's an excellent outcome, far, far, far better then the situation we are seeing.
You don't actually try to imply that Putin is capable of doing something that is not 100% realpolitik, do you?

Anyway, in the aforementioned inteview with Strelkov, where he is not exacly approving of Russian government's actions and thus is unlikely to defend it out of political motives, he basically states that Ukrainian army reacted to the DNR and LNR seccession in the same way Russian army reacted to the rebellion in Chechnya: ignore attempts to parlay and compromise, move in and start shelling the rebel cities like it's 1914 all over again.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:19:05 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 20, 2014, 05:21:45 pm »

That's a gross overestimation of what he said, knit tie.

The conflict was escalating in strength and in equipment used from spring to the beginning of June, where they started to use artillery en-masse. They did not instantly go "mass bombardment".
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2014, 05:24:35 pm »

That's a gross overestimation of what he said, knit tie.

The conflict was escalating in strength and in equipment used from spring to the beginning of June, where they started to use artillery en-masse. They did not instantly go "mass bombardment".
True, I could've worded that better. Strelkov said that the Ukrainian army was initially very cautious, wary of possible Russian retaliation, but as said retaliation was nowhere to be seen, the UAF grew increasingly bolder, until they started a full-on traditional military attack. They still didn't want to compromise or parlay with the rebels, though.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2014, 05:25:47 pm »

You don't actually try to imply that Putin is capable of doing something that is not 100% realpolitik, do you?

I was responding to the assertion that Putin's actions could be explained by protecting Russians.  Make of it what you will.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2014, 05:28:17 pm »

Well IIRC NATO has justified its actions in Libya as preemptively protecting the citizens of Libya from genocide.

The civil war in Libya is still going on, by the way, with much tribal violence, so...

EDIT: What I meant is that both sides here proclaim different objectives from the real ones.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:33:30 pm by Sergarr »
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2014, 05:30:31 pm »

I was responding to the assertion that Putin's actions could be explained by protecting Russians.  Make of it what you will.
I don't think that even the most jingoistic Russians believe that drivel now. Putin has never done anything out of anything but sheer, cold logic, and he sure as hell wasn't going to suddenly start doing the opposite during the Donbass uprising.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:32:19 pm by Knit tie »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 20, 2014, 05:33:29 pm »

I don't think that even the most jingoistic Russians believe that drivel now. Putin has never done anything out of anything but sheer, cold logic, and he sure as hell wasn't going to suddenly start doing the opposite during the Donbass uprising.

Okay that's cool, you asked for peoples opinions on this view a while back.  So you are saying that like most non-Russians and Russians would be in agreement on this?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:23 pm »

Sergarr: Except NATO didn't create the Libyan civil war. There was a war, we tried to help, might have made things better (Libya is no Syria), or maybe not. We didn't have NATO troops creating the whole thing after annexing part of it.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 20, 2014, 05:38:28 pm »

There wouldn't have been a large civil war without NATO's intervention. The rebels were already pretty much defeated before it happened. Then the NATO swooped in and destroyed the country.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 20, 2014, 05:46:05 pm »

Okay that's cool, you asked for peoples opinions on this view a while back.  So you are saying that like most non-Russians and Russians would be in agreement on this?
What pro-Putin people actually think back home in Russia is that the separatists should be helped not because they are Russian by ethnicity, but because they are pro-Russian by ideology instead, i.e. "these guys support us and want to join us, we should help them!" And if Putin didn't intervene and the separatists would've been suppressed, well, that wouldn't be any good in the eyes of the public, because Putin the Russian defender would've let pro-Russian supporters down. Nobody really cares that (very potentially) less people would've died if the rebels were left to their own devices, including the rebels themselves, whose position can be summed up as "we don't care if we die, as long as Novorossia is free!" A very Russian position, by the way - "It is better to die for the Emperor Motherland than to live for yourself."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 06:06:21 pm by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 20, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »

I like how in new Ukraine President can go and chat with football ultras that protest near presidential administration.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62