Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74305 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Civilised Edition.
« Reply #315 on: November 20, 2014, 05:00:40 am »

They still light up the streets? Wouldn't they impose a blackout?
That's a bad suggestion, because with lights, they at least theoretically can aim artillery strikes on military targets.

Without lights, the civilian casualties will be higher.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 20, 2014, 05:19:40 am »

Knit: Plausible... But what would that imply for the West? What actions should be taken to end this conflict? Because as far as I can see there's no way of freeing Putin from the trap he's gotten into, so the only option would be supporting Ukraine to the point of military victory...

Sergarr: Why would they want that? They're already using the civilian population as meat shields.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 20, 2014, 06:24:58 am »

Knit: Plausible... But what would that imply for the West? What actions should be taken to end this conflict? Because as far as I can see there's no way of freeing Putin from the trap he's gotten into, so the only option would be supporting Ukraine to the point of military victory...

Sergarr: Why would they want that? They're already using the civilian population as meat shields.
That's a pretty extraordinary claim you've just made. Unless you have information proving that the rebels are literally using civilians as meat shields (holding them before themselves to absorb bullets), I'm afraid I must be forced to refute it.

Fighting in cities does not automatically means they use civilians as meat shields, by the way.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 20, 2014, 08:23:25 am »

Well, there were reports - from journalists sent into their cities, no less - that they have artillery mounted in trucks and shoot from various positions in the city. The reporter in question was in a hospital, and heard a loud noise; she was informed that it had probably been such a separatist artillery vehicle shooting right outside the hospital. The vehicle moved away; the counter-artillery then went on to hit the hospital.
It's not literal usage as meat shields, but it's as close as it gets in an artillery war. The separatists certainly have demonstrated that they care very little about the civilian population.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 20, 2014, 08:33:58 am »

Well, there were reports - from journalists sent into their cities, no less - that they have artillery mounted in trucks and shoot from various positions in the city. The reporter in question was in a hospital, and heard a loud noise; she was informed that it had probably been such a separatist artillery vehicle shooting right outside the hospital. The vehicle moved away; the counter-artillery then went on to hit the hospital.
It's not literal usage as meat shields, but it's as close as it gets in an artillery war. The separatists certainly have demonstrated that they care very little about the civilian population.

Shades of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict? I'm not calling the Donetsk people terrorists, just noticing the similaroties here, but the tactics are very similar to what Hamas did.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 20, 2014, 10:14:39 am »

Ukraine considers local production of Hongdu L-15 trainer\light attack aircraft

Not  impressive but we need to start somewhere to create our own modern air-force
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 20, 2014, 10:48:15 am »

...Just how many airplanes has Ukraine lost during this conflict? According to Wikipedia, U has somewhere around 200 air vehicles, yet the last time I heard about air was in August.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 20, 2014, 11:03:23 am »

We don't use aircrafts since the ceasefire as was agreed in Minsk. That is why you hear nothing about airstrikes starting from September 5.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ukrainian_aircraft_losses_during_the_2014_pro-Russian_unrest_in_Ukraine

That list may be incomplete, but I see no reason to believe that many more was shot down
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 20, 2014, 11:59:12 am »

Shades of the Palestinian-Israeli conflict? I'm not calling the Donetsk people terrorists, just noticing the similaroties here, but the tactics are very similar to what Hamas did.
The problem with civil wars, unlike regular ones, is they tend to be messy, and the goal's not usually 'Take over a country with the infrastructure and population still intact' and more something like 'Declare independence' or 'Take over the country at all costs' or 'Join another country', which means they just don't particularly care.

They're probably using it in this way to say 'Hey, look! They're shelling civilian buildings!'
Or what the rebels doing could be just a standard mobile artillery tactic, because if a battery remains in place after it has fired, it almost inevitably gets destroyed by the counter-barrage. And the rebel artillery can't really choose from where to shoot that much, either, it's all dependent on the positions of the enemy.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 20, 2014, 12:11:56 pm »

... pretty sure standard mobile artillery tactics don't include firing from high value civilian locations. Because, y'know, counter artillery, damaged/destroyed civil infrastructure, and dead civilians. They're things. All of which you kinda' want to avoid, but especially the latter two.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 20, 2014, 12:15:08 pm »

It's standard mobile artillery tactics for fighting in cities.
._.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 20, 2014, 12:17:23 pm »

Yes, it's standard tactics for terrorists to use civilians as shields.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:38 pm »

Terrorists don't form army regiments.

It's like you don't even know what word "terrorist" means.
._.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 20, 2014, 12:46:40 pm »

Or what the rebels doing could be just a standard mobile artillery tactic, because if a battery remains in place after it has fired, it almost inevitably gets destroyed by the counter-barrage. And the rebel artillery can't really choose from where to shoot that much, either, it's all dependent on the positions of the enemy.
Wasn't referring to them moving, I was referring to them deciding to fire outside a hospital.
Well that's a dumb decision and I hope whoever did that was punished for that.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:05 pm »

What do you think?

I think it smells of bullshit because if he was actually trying to protect people he wouldn't have done it this way and there would be evidence of the problem he claims to be solving.  The Russian actions have engendered a chaotic conflict.  He hasn't been transparent with the Ukrainian government.  That just makes it impossible to defuse the conflict and ensures that there be tons of fog of war that gets civilians killed.  Maybe you want to say that "The West" would have pissed in the well but Putin never gave them the chance.  He started a civil war before even trying to protect civilians.  The worst possible thing that could happen for a civilian population in the modern era is a civil war.  Long grinding conflicts are what encourage partisan massacres and retaliation.

And like UR pointed out, where's the evidence of oppression of Russian civilians?  Most Russian civilians are in territory firmly held by the Ukrainian government.  Russian civilians aren't fleeing these areas in terror.  There isn't ethnic cleansing.  Given that this is supposedly an ethnic civil war we would expect much, much, much worse.  We wouldn't expect complaints about changes in the language laws, we would expect mobs going through neighborhoods burning homes and looting shops or dragging corpses through the streets.

In a nutshell, chaos is the danger that the humanitarian seeks to avoid in war and the only chaos we see here wouldn't have occured without Russian action.  Maybe someone would want to justify that Russian intervention was necessary for other reasons.  However it's very clear that Russia wasn't forced to intervene to protect the civilian population, the civilian population would have been far, far safer without Russian actions.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 62