Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74269 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Vata of Hate.
« Reply #300 on: November 19, 2014, 01:58:31 pm »

Okay guys, so let's all say sorry and have a totally-not-gay-propaganda hug. :)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 19, 2014, 02:06:57 pm »

*Knit Tie hugs.

To think that it took us two threads dying in fire to finally start a civilised discussion.

The reason why this propaganda is working is because in 90s, propaganda from mostly our homegrown liberals told that the West is good, has always been good and never wished evil for anyone.

That's one of the reasons why the current propaganda is working. It's "anti-90s".
Are you talking about Russia ot the US?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 02:09:14 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2014, 02:18:54 pm »

*Knit Tie hugs.

To think that it took us two threads dying in fire to finally start a civilised discussion.

The reason why this propaganda is working is because in 90s, propaganda from mostly our homegrown liberals told that the West is good, has always been good and never wished evil for anyone.

That's one of the reasons why the current propaganda is working. It's "anti-90s".
Are you talking about Russia ot the US?
Russia.
._.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 19, 2014, 02:34:26 pm »

Somehow the latest 2 pages reminded me of this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc

Would you like to know more?

(I love all the Leni Riefenstahl references in that movie... nearing a hundred or so)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 19, 2014, 02:41:29 pm »

I wish my cinematographic culture was good enough to get all the Riefenstahl references.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2014, 02:43:18 pm »

I wish my cinematographic culture was good enough to get all the Riefenstahl references.

Mine wasnt, I actually had to watch Triumph of the Will...

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2014, 03:26:14 pm »

How likely that Russia sends their newest version of T-72 without their own crews?
That tank is t-72b variation from 1989. There is no t-72bm

Ukraine doesnt have active t 72b tanks, but they do/did have them stored in unknown numbers and did sell i think around 10 or more of them several years ago (or wanted to sell, dont remember now)

T-72B3 is the russian new (old updated) version that only russian has that they are trying to refer to on that pictures (and to make it more clear, that is T-72B3, not t 72bm)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:35:06 pm by miljan »
Make love not war

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 19, 2014, 04:33:15 pm »

Okay guys, so let's all say sorry and have a totally-not-gay-propaganda hug. :)

Sorry bro but any hug I'm in is gay.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: The Hate is Gone! Hallelujah!
« Reply #308 on: November 19, 2014, 05:02:46 pm »

Putin's press boss Dmitri Peskov in a BBC interview: "Official statements saying very officially that...": http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30113821

On Russia's behavior making the situation more tense:  "We will continue to make it much more tense as far as our national interests are concerned"

"The longer our national interests will be endangered, the longer we will continue to reply" (looking from below his eyebrowns)

On Latvia being very worried about the possibility of its Russian minority "rising": "I would share their worries... I would share their worries!"

However the last 1:30 is the most important one. "It makes us feel fear" (about NATO's expansion). He even repeats it several times approaching from different directions.

A local "expert" considered this change in rhetorics especially heard from a man that high a deliberate one. He thinks its directed to the West(its a BBC interview after all) rather than for Russians. I'm not sure what to think myself, but it must be mostly rhetorics as Russia most certainly wants to look strong.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 19, 2014, 05:14:45 pm »

Putin's press boss Dmitri Peskov in a BBC interview: "Official statements saying very officially that...": http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30113821

On Russia's behavior making the situation more tense:  "We will continue to make it much more tense as far as our national interests are concerned"

"The longer our national interests will be endangered, the longer we will continue to reply" (looking from below his eyebrowns)

On Latvia being very worried about the possibility of its Russian minority "rising": "I would share their worries... I would share their worries!"

However the last 1:30 is the most important one. "It makes us feel fear" (about NATO's expansion). He even repeats it several times approaching from different directions.

A local "expert" considered this change in rhetorics especially heard from a man that high a deliberate one. He thinks its directed to the West(its a BBC interview after all) rather than for Russians. I'm not sure what to think myself, but it must be mostly rhetorics as Russia most certainly wants to look strong.
Peskov is certainly a guy who likes to "puff" himself up.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 19, 2014, 05:20:28 pm »

That last 1:30 was no puffing... Not in the way most understand it any way. He hesitated with some of the questions before that but answered the last one and entered that fear talk immediately so it seemed pre-planned to me.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 19, 2014, 06:40:04 pm »

That last 1:30 was no puffing... Not in the way most understand it any way. He hesitated with some of the questions before that but answered the last one and entered that fear talk immediately so it seemed pre-planned to me.
No, I mean that he likes to intimidate people by talking scary.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Civilised Edition.
« Reply #313 on: November 20, 2014, 02:51:17 am »

They still light up the streets? Wouldn't they impose a blackout?

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Civilised Edition.
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2014, 04:58:24 am »

I just had a Skype call with my dad and the decorated armchair general voiced this opinion of the Ukrainian civil war: Putin didn't plan this and he doesn't really benefit from this - he doesn't want the Ukraine to join the NATO, but the whole crisis was as much shock and pain in the ass for him as it was for Poroshenko. Putin just wanted to get the Crimean military port back under his control after Yanukovich's regime fell, with Crimea as a nice bonus, but then the annexation spurned the Donetsk rebels to declare their independence instead of simply protesting. Then, the Ukrainian government responded with force and the fighting started, and the Russian people looked at Putin and said "Mr. President, there are Russians in a bad pitch there. Aren't you going to rescue them?", and Vova had to do what he really didn't want to do and support the rebels with food and arms and occasionally with troops, because for him to chicken out of the conflict or to state that it's not his business would deal an incredible blow to his image as a strong, pro-Russian leader and thus to the cornerstone of his popularity. For this same reason, he doesn't want to agree to NATO's terms of conflict deescalation - doing so would be disastrous when the majority of his own people views him as unyielding anti-NATO warrior with starry eyes. But Putin sure tries to end this conflict as soon as possible - hence the Minsk ceasefire and his attempts to negotiate with NATO on a treaty, because while the war boosts his popularity, the whole enduring confrontation with the west is both harmful for Russia's economy and quite premature, as Putin is just plain not ready, with his still modernising army and a lack of anti-NATO bloc.

What do you think?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 62