Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74170 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Salo and Vitriol.
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2014, 11:36:45 am »

Uh, El-Murid?

He's somewhat more pessimistic and doesn't write as much about the war directly and his opinions are pretty subjective, though.

Fun fact: I first heard about him from one of the comments in Cassad threads.
I've read him, he is more of a vague theoretician about Russia in general, and there's plenty of those im my surrounding, first and foremost my dad. Of the rest of the war observers that I tried, most are horribly politicised, with vata and ukrop and jingoism galore. Cassad, his pro-sovietism and insistence upon using the words "fascist junta" to describe the Ukrainian government nonwithstanding, at least admits that the side he is rooting for has multiple problems and engages in shady business and backstabbing and posts some of the more revealing interviews, such as the one you gave me earlier where the interviewee admits to Russian involvement and extortion among the rebel commanders.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:47:56 am by Knit tie »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2014, 01:47:56 pm »

Uh, El-Murid?

He's somewhat more pessimistic and doesn't write as much about the war directly and his opinions are pretty subjective, though.

I've read him, he is more of a vague theoretician about Russia in general, and there's plenty of those im my surrounding, first and foremost my dad. Of the rest of the war observers that I tried, most are horribly politicised, with vata and ukrop and jingoism galore. Cassad, his pro-sovietism and insistence upon using the words "fascist junta" to describe the Ukrainian government nonwithstanding, at least admits that the side he is rooting for has multiple problems and engages in shady business and backstabbing and posts some of the more revealing interviews, such as the one you gave me earlier where the interviewee admits to Russian involvement and extortion among the rebel commanders.
If we're talking about sources writing about the war in Ukraine, I can also mention the pro-DNR blogger and political columnist Lev Vershinin, also known as Putnik1. He used to have some really good contacts on the other side of the frontline - he predicted the first major Ukrainian offensive on Slavyansk in May several days in advance, citing informants in the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
I would still advice to exercise caution about taking his posts at face value and watch out for potential disinformation, though it very likely applies to everyone writing and posting about the war.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2014, 01:53:52 pm »

Uh, El-Murid?

If we're talking about sources writing about the war in Ukraine, I can also mention the pro-DNR blogger and political columnist Lev Vershinin, also known as Putnik1. He used to have some really good contacts on the other side of the frontline - he predicted the first major Ukrainian offensive on Slavyansk in May several days in advance, citing informants in the Ukrainian Armed Forces.
I would still advice to exercise caution about taking his posts at face value and watch out for potential disinformation, though it very likely applies to everyone writing and posting about the war.
Шчыра дзякую. I honestly just want this idiotic war to end, you know. Pointless Cold War antagonism between two countries who wouldn't even remotely care about one another's politics if not for mutual paranoia.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:01:52 pm by Knit tie »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2014, 02:08:14 pm »

It's not paranoia if people actually are out to get you.

Of course, the ones actually out to get each other are old men who're still stuck in the Seventies, but they're still there.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2014, 02:19:10 pm »

It's not paranoia if people actually are out to get you.

Of course, the ones actually out to get each other are old men who're still stuck in the Seventies, but they're still there.
And guess who gets to actually die? I am being serious here, if an all-out war starts I'll get a conscription notice and go and fight.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2014, 02:38:10 pm »

If they do start calling people for the draft selective service, they'll have to lower their standards. As it stands, our military is having trouble finding recruits who meet their requirements.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:40:47 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »

If they do start calling people for the draft selective service, they'll have to lower their standards. As it stands, our military is having trouble finding recruits who meet their requirements.
Last time Russia got into an all-out war in Ukraine, 90% of the 19-23 year-olds in the entire USSR got either dead or crippled. And I am thin, well-educated, nave no tattoos or piercings, am not addicted to any chemical substances whatsoever and in generally good health.

BTW, the only thing I don't get is tattoos - why is that such a problem? I saw US marines with more ink in them than a printer cartridge.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 02:53:06 pm by Knit tie »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2014, 03:09:11 pm »

Semi-related, Russia being our neighbor and a most peace loving totally not at all an expansionist power led by former KGB warmongers, I just received a letter yesterday informing me of my promotion to the rank that probably matches Staff Sergeant(edit: or Sergeant 1st class, I'm not sure tbh as we have considerably less ranks in use) in the US Army.

The enclose also contained a "how-to-self-update-your-military-passport" guide(although I dont have one, the last ones were issued in the 90s or something) and an invite for one to a promotion event with a buffet table and live music.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:13:02 pm by Erkki »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2014, 03:22:57 pm »

Semi-related, Russia being our neighbor and a most peace loving totally not at all an expansionist power led by former KGB warmongers, I just received a letter yesterday informing me of my promotion to the rank that probably matches Staff Sergeant(edit: or Sergeant 1st class, I'm not sure tbh as we have considerably less ranks in use) in the US Army.

The enclose also contained a "how-to-self-update-your-military-passport" guide(although I dont have one, the last ones were issued in the 90s or something) and an invite for one to a promotion event with a buffet table and live music.
Finland? If then, you shouldn't worry. We still remember how you kicked our asses in the Winter War and how you saved Saint-Petersburg by didn't kicking our asses in the Second World War.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2014, 03:26:19 pm »

The requirements could do for some loosening.  They didn't want me on the basis of I had dislocated my shoulder four years prior and didn't have complete documentation of rehab from my surgery.  I didn't have documentation of rehab because it healed completely and I went back to normal athletics.  It's the sort of thing that you'd expect with a big system like that, as long as enough people are getting through it doesn't matter that it's ass-elbows bad at making assessments.

But really, they aren't going to go drafting people.  If there was a war, which there wont be, the deciding factor would be machines, not men.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:28:23 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2014, 03:27:54 pm »

The requirements could do for some loosening.  They didn't want me on the basis of I had dislocated my shoulder four years prior and didn't have complete documentation of rehab.  I didn't have documentation of rehab because it healed completely and I went back to normal athletics.  It's the sort of thing that you'd expect with a big system like that, as long as enough people are getting through it doesn't matter that it's ass-elbows bad at making assessments.
You wanted to join the US military?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2014, 03:30:16 pm »

BTW, the only thing I don't get is tattoos - why is that such a problem? I saw US marines with more ink in them than a printer cartridge.
Tattoos allow for easy identification by enemy. It's especially significant in special forces regiments, where identification of a single person could mean the failure of the entire operations.

Anybody in special forces must not have anything visibly recognizable, so that if they get captured by the enemy, they could not easily determine his true identity.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2014, 03:30:59 pm »

The Marines.  I probably could have fought my way through the paperwork but I had already spent months getting paperwork and there was a massive waiting list if I ever could convince them to extract head from ass.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2014, 03:32:44 pm »

From the article: "And about the tattoos: They are not supposed to be on your neck, refer to gang membership, be offensive, or in any way conflict with military standards on integrity, respect and team work. The military is increasingly giving waivers for some types of tattoos, officials said."

I suppose they could give potential candidates the option to laser off or otherwise alter or remove/hide problem tattoos.

Tattoos allow for easy identification by enemy. It's especially significant in special forces regiments, where identification of a single person could mean the failure of the entire operations.

Anybody in special forces must not have anything visibly recognizable, so that if they get captured by the enemy, they could not easily determine his true identity.

This is a good point as well.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 03:34:24 pm by smjjames »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »

The Marines.  I probably could have fought my way through the paperwork but I had already spent months getting paperwork and there was a massive waiting list if I ever could convince them to extract head from ass.
I figured you had to get your impressive contempt for the enemy and unwillingness to back down from somewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 62