Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74009 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Salo and Vitriol.
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2014, 04:13:00 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if North Korea decided to take advantage of the distraction while a major portion of the US military is tied up in Europe, but it wouldn't be much more than a distraction.

Kazakistan maybe? Then again, not sure how easily Russia would be able to force them to take Russias side.

Belarus is pratically a sattelite of Russia.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:15:51 pm by smjjames »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2014, 04:21:36 pm »

South Korea is more then capable of mopping the floor with Best Korea.  Although I suppose it's possible the Best Koreans might be too stupid to know that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2014, 04:23:25 pm »

Especially if Japan will not stay neutral. But we move to the Armchair general territory here
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2014, 04:26:39 pm »

South Korea is more then capable of mopping the floor with Best Korea.  Although I suppose it's possible the Best Koreans might be too stupid to know that.

I did say that it would be little more than a distraction.

Especially if Japan will not stay neutral. But we move to the Armchair general territory here

I don't think China would care if Japan decided to get in on the Europe stuff.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2014, 04:32:07 pm »

I think we are grossly overestimating here how much the rest of the world cares about Ukraine.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:36:20 pm by Knit tie »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2014, 04:37:21 pm »

"I think we are grossly overestimating here how much France and Great Britain care about Poland." Some German in 1939

http://ukrainerightnow.com/president-poroshenko-decree-regarding-occupied-territories-full-text/

That decree caused hysteria among DNR\LNR "governments"
Sure, without direct Ukrainian funding they will collapse before the spring.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2014, 05:00:26 pm »

Wait, why would the Chinese care? They aren't idiots. They know this isn't anything more than posturing on both sides. It just means sanctions diverting trade into China.

Geopolitically, nobody really cares what happens to Ukraine. It isn't important to any of NATO (Russia invading its own former ally? Neat! Let's write some strongly worded letters and grab some popcorn! hell naw, we aren't getting anywhere near that mess; we're standing back and letting Russia shoot off their own feet), and even for Russia it's just a tactic to rabble rouse up popular support numbers for the seemingly inevitable economic hardships about to rock the nation to its core (though that backfired somewhat after the rebels mistook a passenger airliner for a military transport and got slapped with serious sanctions for it).

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2014, 05:18:51 pm »

Wait, why would the Chinese care? They aren't idiots. They know this isn't anything more than posturing on both sides. It just means sanctions diverting trade into China.

Geopolitically, nobody really cares what happens to Ukraine. It isn't important to any of NATO (Russia invading its own former ally? Neat! Let's write some strongly worded letters and grab some popcorn! hell naw, we aren't getting anywhere near that mess; we're standing back and letting Russia shoot off their own feet), and even for Russia it's just a tactic to rabble rouse up popular support numbers for the seemingly inevitable economic hardships about to rock the nation to its core (though that backfired somewhat after the rebels mistook a passenger airliner for a military transport and got slapped with serious sanctions for it).
I, for one, am still unsure if the rebels or the Ukrainian army shot down that aircraft. The photo I posted earlier might not be so obviously fake after all.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2014, 05:22:47 pm »

What WW3? World vs Russia is not WW3, it is the world versus Russia war. What other sides for WW3 possible?
ISIS. They're crazy and competent enough that if they manage break a few governments in the area (and they're pretty close to that), they have a real possibility to turn into a major regional power with reasons to attack both West and East.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2014, 05:39:27 pm »

What WW3? World vs Russia is not WW3, it is the world versus Russia war. What other sides for WW3 possible?
ISIS. They're crazy and competent enough that if they manage break a few governments in the area (and they're pretty close to that), they have a real possibility to turn into a major regional power with reasons to attack both West and East.
Mr. Brecher would like to disagree with that.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2014, 06:06:02 pm »

That article is so outdated it's not even funny.

"And that’s as far as it will go. ISIS has done well to take back its natural constituency, the Sunni center of Iraq. It will push against the Shia to the south, but they’ll fight much better on their own turf. And if it has any sense, it won’t even try to push against the Persh Merga. I used to see the Pesh Merga every day, and they ain’t nobody to mess with."

They fought Peshmerga and pretty much won against them. I haven't heard anything about Peshmerga's forces pushing back ISIS since August.

They're now fighting against PKK (Kurds in Syria) and are also winning.

Also they're pushing Assad's forced back.

That article was written in June. Many things have changed during these months.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2014, 06:09:39 pm »

That article is so outdated it's not even funny.

"And that’s as far as it will go. ISIS has done well to take back its natural constituency, the Sunni center of Iraq. It will push against the Shia to the south, but they’ll fight much better on their own turf. And if it has any sense, it won’t even try to push against the Persh Merga. I used to see the Pesh Merga every day, and they ain’t nobody to mess with."

They fought Peshmerga and pretty much won against them. I haven't heard anything about Peshmerga's forces pushing back ISIS since August.

They're now fighting against PKK (Kurds in Syria) and are also winning.

Also they're pushing Assad's forced back.

That article was written in June. Many things have changed during these months.
Here's another article.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:14:53 pm by Knit tie »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2014, 06:09:50 pm »

Well when you decide you know everything because you can accurately predict the past you tend not to do so well with the future.  Amusing stuff, like Tom Clancy and GRR Martin's lovechild.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2014, 06:12:26 pm »

Yeah, they've been pretty much bulldozing through. Peshmerga only stopped ISIS with some help from the US.

Hell, even the airstrikes that the US and the coalition is doing don't seem to be having much of an effect.

Edit: Does that more recent article even account for the huge cashflow that they've got? Of course though, that'll last until people figure out how to plug the holes.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:17:12 pm by smjjames »

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2014, 06:44:30 am »

In world news: G20 summit pretty much confirmed that Ukrainian crisis is now a conflict of Russia vs. the USA, both of which remain dead-set on winning. Any kind of resolution seems increasingly unlikely.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 62