Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74111 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Salo and Vitriol.
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »

MH17 crash site. Can someone translate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK76aZ4vku0
Nothing important, really. Just a bunch of people asking each other what happened.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 16, 2014, 08:35:32 pm »

Hitler may have thought that (and was partially right: In many places the Nazis were initially greeted as liberators...) but his incompetence knew no bounds. At least after the war every European leader was scared shitless of the Eurasian hordes* behind the border.

*I guess that term is a collective memory from Mongol times. At least that was how it was used back then.
I highly recommend this lecture in which professor House explains that Hitler was not nearly so incompetent as the self-serving memoirs of his generals make him look.

There are some weird omissions there.  Like the Soviets had a nominal advantage in 1941 but there was a lot of obsolete equipment (their most common tank was the t-26 which makes a Pz3 look like a Tiger.) and troops that were nowhere near the front.  Doesn't mention Hitler's successful gambles in the west and all the equipment that was captured.  Just generally glosses over the materials/industrial side of the war.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 16, 2014, 08:40:08 pm »

Hitler may have thought that (and was partially right: In many places the Nazis were initially greeted as liberators...) but his incompetence knew no bounds. At least after the war every European leader was scared shitless of the Eurasian hordes* behind the border.

*I guess that term is a collective memory from Mongol times. At least that was how it was used back then.
I highly recommend this lecture in which professor House explains that Hitler was not nearly so incompetent as the self-serving memoirs of his generals make him look.

There are some weird omissions there.  Like the Soviets had a nominal advantage in 1941 but there was a lot of obsolete equipment (their most common tank was the t-26 which makes a Pz3 look like a Tiger.) and troops that were nowhere near the front.  Doesn't mention Hitler's successful gambles in the west.  Doesn't really seem to grapple with the whole industrial side of the war very well.
It's not a thorough analysis of the reasons of the Wehrmacht's loss, but rather a refutation of the most common arguments the German generals cited in their memoirs to simultaneously preserve face and explain away their failuries. Of course everything you mentioned factored in the general unpreparedness of the red army and was one of the main reasons why the first year of the war was such a disaster for the USSR, but this was not the topic of the lecture.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 16, 2014, 09:36:01 pm »

Well I feel it's kinda relevant to the whole "outnumbered" part that the Germans weren't outnumbered in terms of useful men and equipment in the year of their greatest successes.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 16, 2014, 09:50:26 pm »

Well I feel it's kinda relevant to the whole "outnumbered" part that the Germans weren't outnumbered in terms of useful men and equipment in the year of their greatest successes.
Technically, they were, but their incredible tactical superiority and strategic advantage made numbers irrelevant.

EDIT:And another article.

EDITEDIT: On the topic of who started the war in Ukraine.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:42:52 pm by Knit tie »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 16, 2014, 11:06:48 pm »

Technically, they were, but their incredible tactical superiority and strategic advantage made numbers irrelevant.

EDIT:And another article.

EDITEDIT: On the topic of who started the war in Ukraine.

The second article doesn't say anything about who started the war in Ukraine, at most it gives a passing reference to some conspiracy theory and some other stuff.

Also, I'm not sure if you're trying to convince me that Obama started the war in Ukraine with the second article.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2014, 11:12:36 pm »

Valid criticism, my friend, here's a better article. And another one.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:46:49 pm by Knit tie »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2014, 01:19:08 am »

Pressing issues: Where is the Salo and why can't I seem to find it in the grocery stores anywhere
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2014, 01:26:04 am »

Pressing issues: Where is the Salo and why can't I seem to find it in the grocery stores anywhere

go to a butcher instead what are you even

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 18, 2014, 05:05:55 am »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2014, 09:34:55 am »

Colonel Cassad's collection of videos from the front.
Oh, I've wanted to post it.

Cassad frequently reposts fresh videos from the front line. For those who wants to see how the war is going on it's a must-see. However, beware of propaganda and disinformation.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2014, 11:06:18 am »

Colonel Cassad's collection of videos from the front.
Oh, I've wanted to post it.

Cassad frequently reposts fresh videos from the front line. For those who wants to see how the war is going on it's a must-see. However, beware of propaganda and disinformation.
I never noticed him using that much propaganda, anyway. He's kinda like Artyom Drabkin of iremember.ru - "I support those guys, but won't filter out any unsavoury details." You just have to filter out all the non current-war-related posts, because the man is an open supporter of the USSR.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:12:54 am by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2014, 11:19:58 am »

If you're not noticing that he's using propaganda, it doesn't mean he's not using propaganda, it's just that he's not a hack amateur whose work can be identified as a propaganda by anybody.

Also, he does filter out unsavoury details that are considered to be harmful by what I think is his information source in Donbass. Like here: http://colonelcassad.livejournal.com/1901493.html

"На деле, "Абвер" некоторое время "сидел на подвале" в Донецке за одну очень нехорошую историю (подробности которой вряд ли уместно разглашать до завершения войны)"

If that isn't "filtering out", then I don't know what is.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 18, 2014, 11:27:41 am »

If you're not noticing that he's using propaganda, it doesn't mean he's not using propaganda, it's just that he's not a hack amateur whose work can be identified as a propaganda by anybody.

Also, he does filter out unsavoury details that are considered to be harmful by what I think is his information source in Donbass. Like here: http://colonelcassad.livejournal.com/1901493.html

"На деле, "Абвер" некоторое время "сидел на подвале" в Донецке за одну очень нехорошую историю (подробности которой вряд ли уместно разглашать до завершения войны)"

If that isn't "filtering out", then I don't know what is.
True enough, I also considered that suspicious the first time I read it, but at least he made us aware of this fact. Most likely it's something relating to the power struggle and moneygrabbing between the various commanders. Or perhaps something related to Moscow-Novorossiya interaction.

What other sources can you recommend? Simon Ostrovsky of Vice News does a pretty good job from the pro-Kiyv angle,, but his stories are broad and general.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 11:33:24 am by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 18, 2014, 11:32:32 am »

Uh, El-Murid?

He's somewhat more pessimistic and doesn't write as much about the war directly and his opinions are pretty subjective, though.

Fun fact: I first heard about him from one of the comments in Cassad threads.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 62