Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74098 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Salo and Vitriol.
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2014, 02:59:27 pm »

IDK, you tell me.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2014, 03:15:40 pm »

So that just leaves Lord Slowpoke as the Putinphile.

putin is pretty meh actually

was kind of decent before sochi, better than what we had here at the time at least

nice try though

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2014, 04:48:03 pm »

Sergarr seems to have a "nobody hits my little brother but me" view on his countries government.  Knit tie seems to hate all governments, Russian or otherwise.  Guardian seems to think Belarus is doing it better.  Most everyone else seems to think Russia should stop invading it's neighbor.  So that just leaves Lord Slowpoke as the Putinphile.
I think that Putin is really good, actually, as far as Russian rulers go. He's not a mass murderer, he's not detached from reality, he's capable of making competent decisions and he doesn't let his oligarch cronies rob the common men that badly - what's there not to like?

The standards, mainiac, the standards are different over here.

So that just leaves Lord Slowpoke as the Putinphile.

putin is pretty meh actually

was kind of decent before sochi, better than what we had here at the time at least

nice try though
Where are you from, Slow?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2014, 04:59:52 pm »

Sergarr seems to have a "nobody hits my little brother but me" view on his countries government.  Knit tie seems to hate all governments, Russian or otherwise.  Guardian seems to think Belarus is doing it better.  Most everyone else seems to think Russia should stop invading it's neighbor.  So that just leaves Lord Slowpoke as the Putinphile.
What about miljan and smjjames?

Well, for one, I do want him to stop invading his neghbors, but other than that, I don't know enough to truly judge.

@ Knit Tie: Not detached from reality? I don't know about that, though it does seem like he has blinders on at times.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2014, 05:22:01 pm »

I think that Putin is really good, actually, as far as Russian rulers go. He's not a mass murderer, he's not detached from reality, he's capable of making competent decisions and he doesn't let his oligarch cronies rob the common men that badly - what's there not to like?
Inb4 lots of people jumping on you for the bolded part.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2014, 05:22:09 pm »

Well, for one, I do want him to stop invading his neghbors, but other than that, I don't know enough to truly judge.

@ Knit Tie: Not detached from reality? I don't know about that, though it does seem like he has blinders on at times.
James, the biggest difference between Putin and his soviet predecessors, as far as the west is concerned, is that the premiers (and Yeltsin) always backed down when the NATO talked harshly to them, while Vova is much more uncompromising and confrontational. As for invasions, he does that markedly less that the recent POTUSes, anyway, and much more successfully to boot.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2014, 05:27:28 pm »

James, the biggest difference between Putin and his soviet predecessors, as far as the west is concerned, is that the premiers (and Yeltsin) always backed down when the NATO talked harshly to them, while Vova is much more uncompromising and confrontational. As for invasions, he does that markedly less that the recent POTUSes, anyway, and much more successfully to boot.
By Soviet predecessors, you mean Gorbachev, right? Because I don't know many other Soviet leaders that backed down to NATO.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2014, 05:32:26 pm »

Hehe, Khrushchev did :D
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2014, 05:44:42 pm »

Almost all of them did. It was mostly because the Soviet pople really, really, really, really didn't want another war with them as participants, after what the Axis did to them.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:46:42 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »

*they did to the Axis

It's thought that at that point NOBODY could go up against the soviet union and survive without MASSIVE blunders on the soviet's side. Hitler, being the walking tool he was, declared war on them and things went to shit.
I'm pretty sure at that point many people thought that USSR was (citation) "a colossus on clay legs" and a swift strike would make its people revolt against it.

Like I'm very sure that was the reason why Hitler aimed his first strike on Moscow.

Don't also forget that France has fallen MUCH faster than everybody expected, and it was a country which won (among others) the WW1.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 16, 2014, 06:11:15 pm »

Hitler may have thought that (and was partially right: In many places the Nazis were initially greeted as liberators...) but his incompetence knew no bounds. At least after the war every European leader was scared shitless of the Eurasian hordes* behind the border.

*I guess that term is a collective memory from Mongol times. At least that was how it was used back then.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 16, 2014, 06:26:00 pm »

Hitler may have thought that (and was partially right: In many places the Nazis were initially greeted as liberators...) but his incompetence knew no bounds. At least after the war every European leader was scared shitless of the Eurasian hordes* behind the border.

*I guess that term is a collective memory from Mongol times. At least that was how it was used back then.
I'm also pretty sure that the Eurasian horde scare has been a thing since before Tzarist times.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 16, 2014, 06:27:43 pm »

I highly recommend this lecture in which professor House explains that Hitler was not nearly so incompetent as the self-serving memoirs of his generals make him look.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 16, 2014, 06:54:28 pm »

MH17 crash site. Can someone translate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK76aZ4vku0

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 16, 2014, 06:56:22 pm »

I highly recommend this lecture in which professor House explains that Hitler was not nearly so incompetent as the self-serving memoirs of his generals make him look.

I honestly expected a one-liner from this guy when I clicked that link.

Watchin' now.

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 62