Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who would've you voted for during the Ukrainian presidental elections?

Petro Poroshenko
- 5 (29.4%)
Yulia Tymoshenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Oleg Lyashko
- 2 (11.8%)
Anatoly Hrytsenko
- 2 (11.8%)
Serhiy Tihipko
- 0 (0%)
Mykhailo Dobkin
- 0 (0%)
Other
- 6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62

Author Topic: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Love your Country  (Read 74054 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Ukrainian Crisis Discussion Thread №3: Salo and Vitriol.
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2014, 09:14:32 am »

Being a sovereign country doesn't exclude you from the consequences of your decisions.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2014, 09:19:48 am »

Except, when it comes to US they probably do. Its not a secret, that US is acting in ukraine, from sending/heaving CIA agents to military advisers and probably weapons (but it's more from near nato countries than US directly)

Way to completely miss my point...
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2014, 09:24:49 am »

I will tell you a secret. Ukraine is a sovereign country and can invite any advisors, intelligence officers or even armed forces
I will tell you a thing that is not a secret.
Sovereign country doesnt mean a lot in today's time and age (or better said, it never meant anything actually). You will see sovereign country getting invaded, destroyed, separated and a lot of things, from west to east. You will see countries acting only depending from their interest and do not care about some law, UN or something else. That's how it always was, and always will be (until aliens attack us  :) )
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:27:36 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2014, 09:28:02 am »

Being a sovereign country doesn't exclude you from the consequences of your decisions.
Permissible actions are now a valid reason for an invasion? Maybe you should revise your definition of sovereignity - it does not appear to be in line with the usual one.
Except, when it comes to US they probably do. Its not a secret, that US is acting in ukraine, from sending/heaving CIA agents to military advisers and probably weapons (but it's more from near nato countries than US directly)
And that's why I now believe that the 'crazy stalker ex' description is sorta accurate. USA \neq NATO \neq various European countries! It takes a big (and rather unhealthy) US fixation to see them behind everything any ally does.

Ninjaedit: If you're throwing sovereignity out the window you're retroactively justifying the Iraq war, NATO's Balkan campaign, any possible Western involvement in the color revolutions... If you throw out sovereignity without offering anything to replace it you advocate a return to might makes right. And a waning middle power can only lose at that game when playing against the whole developed world.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2014, 09:35:35 am »

From my position, we've already lost the game played by Western rules, since the Western military forces have shown their position of double-standards.

The only potential winning move is to break the rules to leverage the playing field.
._.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2014, 09:41:45 am »

And that's why I now believe that the 'crazy stalker ex' description is sorta accurate. USA \neq NATO \neq various European countries! It takes a big (and rather unhealthy) US fixation to see them behind everything any ally does.
The thing is, US would/is probably  doing exactly that. Through  nato neighbours to UK. What do you think, they will send their support directly from USA to UK? No, there is no need for that. They just need to pay for their nato alies to help arm UK. There is no need for some logistic expense, when you have nato next to them.

Ninjaedit: If you're throwing sovereignity out the window you're retroactively justifying the Iraq war, NATO's Balkan campaign, any possible Western involvement in the color revolutions... If you throw out sovereignity without offering anything to replace it you advocate a return to might makes right. And a waning middle power can only lose at that game when playing against the whole developed world.
Throwing ? No. I am just saying how things are, because of things you just posted here. Not saying how thing should be or how they should be replaced, just how the thing are. When it comes to big powers, there is no sovereignty, there is only interest.

EDIT: Also, let me say, the thing russia is doing is wrong, I am not saying because  US/west did shit, it means russia can do it. No, russia is now as crap as west (or better said it always was like that).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 09:48:38 am by miljan »
Make love not war

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2014, 09:45:02 am »

I will tell you a secret. Ukraine is a sovereign country and can invite any advisors, intelligence officers or even armed forces
I will tell you a thing that is not a secret.
Sovereign country doesnt mean a lot in today's time and age (or better said, it never meant anything actually). You will see sovereign country getting invaded, destroyed, separated and a lot of things, from west to east. You will see countries acting only depending from their interest and do not care about some law, UN or something else. That's how it always was, and always will be (until aliens attack us  :) )

How is that related to... anything?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2014, 09:45:54 am »

From my position, we've already lost the game played by Western rules, since the Western military forces have shown their position of double-standards.

The only potential winning move is to break the rules to leverage the playing field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOoXwxqeVzg
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2014, 09:46:38 am »

Have you seen what Iraq has done to the US? If anything, they've lost. The US is a waning power - and you strive to emulate it?
The real game is economic, not military. And Russia can break the military rules all it wants, it won't help against the invisible fist of economics, especially when the economic giants make it swing in the right direction.

(Damn ninjas, I meant to reply directly to Sergarr...)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2014, 09:49:35 am »

We can't win the economical game without winning the political/military one.

Otherwise our country will return to 90s and most likely will break into pieces.

I don't want that. Nobody I know wants that. Nobody wants 90s all over again.
._.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2014, 09:58:26 am »

Have you seen what Iraq has done to the US? If anything, they've lost. The US is a waning power - and you strive to emulate it?
The real game is economic, not military. And Russia can break the military rules all it wants, it won't help against the invisible fist of economics, especially when the economic giants make it swing in the right direction.

(Damn ninjas, I meant to reply directly to Sergarr...)

And Europe is the gay/minority best friend in the movie giving the horrible advice "Go back to Russia, girl, you see how crazy he is for you!"
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2014, 09:59:41 am »

Otherwise our country will return to 90s and most likely will break into pieces.

I'll tell you what Russia should do to avoid new 90s or something much, much worse

a) Arrest Putin and send him to Hague for his crimes
b) Recall all your troops from Ukraine, including Crimea
c) Admit Ukrainian (Georgian, Moldavian and so on) sovereignty
d) Run truly democratic elections
e) Start developing your economy instead of wasting oil money on various shit

Of cause that is something Russia will never do.  You will prefer to start a nuclear Armageddon to that
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2014, 10:08:12 am »

I'll tell you what Russia should do to avoid new 90s or something much, much worse

a) Arrest Putin and send him to Hague for his crimes
b) Recall all your troops from Ukraine, including Crimea
c) Admit Ukrainian (Georgian, Moldavian and so on) sovereignty
d) Run truly democratic elections
e) Start developing your economy instead of wasting oil money on various shit

Of cause that is something Russia will never do.  You will prefer to start a nuclear Armageddon to that

In the end of 1980s and beginning of 1990s:
a) we recalled our troops from the Eastern Germany,
b) we arrested Communistic Party
c) admitted everyones sovereignty (literally, Yeltzin said "everybody can take as much sovereignty as they want").
d) Run a truly democratic elections (electing Yeltzin; he was a very charismatic leader)
e) Developed the economy by capitalizing and privatizing most of it.

End result: everything is in complete and utter shit

We already did what you've proposed.

._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2014, 10:16:15 am »

a) we recalled our troops from the Eastern Germany,
OK

b) we arrested Communistic Party
How many communsists were imprisioned? And when Communistic party was banned?

c) admitted everyones sovereignty (literally, Yeltzin said "everybody can take as much sovereignty as they want").
Especially Chechnya.... Plus Russian-Georgian, Russian-Moldavian, Russian-Azerbaijani wars, first attempt to grab Crimea

d) Run a truly democratic elections (electing Yeltzin; he was a very charismatic leader)
Tanks firing in a parliament building is soooo democratic

e) Developed the economy by capitalizing and privatizing most of it.
You mean started to spend national money on manors for oligarchs?  Not the best way to develop economy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:18:01 am by Ukrainian Ranger »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2014, 10:20:21 am »

It went to shit because you let corruption and the oligarchs run amok, or something. And made the mistake of electing putin.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62