Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh: Apocalypse (Permadeath Yugioh RP) (OOC)  (Read 23186 times)

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
Re: Yu-Gi-Oh: Apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 11:11:59 am »

FelixSparks just something I noticed. You can't have more than 3 of the same type of card in a deck

------

Here's my character, I hope she's ok

Name: Athena Baskerville
Appearance: Athena stands about 5’9” tall, she is slim and muscular. Her hair is a bright red which hangs down to just below her shoulders, she keeps her fringe short. She usually keeps her clothing practical wearing a simple pair of black trousers, a plain white t shirt and a navy blue jacket. Her eyes are a bright emerald green, she wears her duel disk on her right arm that is painted a light green.

Backstory: Ever since she was little Athena wanted to follow in her mother’s footsteps, as she was the major duelist protecting the village it was only to be expected. Her mother was against it at first, knowing how dangerous that the life she led could be. Despite her protests though Athena’s desire never wavered, in the end when her mother saw how determined she was she gave in and began to teach her.

Athena’s enthusiasm did not dampen, she listened to each and every one of her mother’s lecturers with incredible concentration and quickly picked up the basic rules of the game. It wasn’t too long before she was putting her own deck together and finding the style of play she enjoyed the most. Her first duel against one of the machines was when she was fifteen years old, it was a close one and she only just managed to defeat the thing.

After this near loss Athena’s mother sent her back to training, not wanting to risk her daughter any more. Athena was furious at first but over time began to calm herself, knowing that she would have to focus on her training if she ever wanted to duel again. It was not until two years later that her mother finally judged her as being ready to fight. It was then Athena joined the ranks of her city’s defense force. She stayed there for around a year putting up a good fight against the various machines that would assault the place. She began to long to see the outside world though, she requested her mother’s permission to travel for a while and even though her mother protested at first she finally gave in and gave Athena her blessing. Filled with excitement Athena packed a few things and set off on her journey into the wilderness.

Devices:
1-  An old copper ring 60% charge
2-  A digital watch 50% charge
3- An old mobile phone 40% charge

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:23:17 am by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 11:40:16 am »

I may have gone over the Ultra Rare limit. Not sure though.

Checking now.

Metric:
1 Approved Custom Card or a Secret, Ghost, or Ultimate rare, 5 Ultra or Super rares, and 10 Rares.  Short print and commons are unlimited.
TCG Advanced

Deck:
Spoiler:  Phantom Beast Deck (click to show/hide)

1 Secret/Ghost/Ultimate
12 Ultra/Super
8 Rare
4 ???

A major thing to note that I am mildly concerned with is that, despite them being common, I recall that in the Manga/Anime that the Crystal Beasts were unique cards.  Also, Hamon, Uria, Ravel, and Armityle were also stated to be unique cards.  In fact, those had to be gathered from an alternate dimension and were sent back there.  That would make them Secret/Ghost/Ultimate rare category, which, while removing 3 from Ultra/Super rare, would add 7 to Secret/Ghost/Ultimate rare.

Also, I didn't check the legality of all of them, so you may want to check that out, via the links I provided in Felix's review.

Reserved.  Not sure if I want to do the same deck as my last submission, since there isn't the same push for synchros this time around.

If no one selects them, then they'll probably not be used.  If someone does select them, they'll be rarely seen, but you'll be certain to encounter them occasionally.

Thank you Kansa for providing the rarities.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yu-Gi-Oh: Apocalypse (Permadeath Yugioh RP)
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 01:01:32 pm »

Thanks Kansa, I wasn't aware that it was a three copy limit. I've fixed it, and SHOULD be good now.... I'm more used to Magic than Yugioh, my apologies.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 02:32:29 pm »

In the end, it was pretty hard to decide, actually.  The rarity restrictions rule out any Duel Terminal archetypes, and Melodious seemed a bit inaccurate to the general bleak theme, though I really want to try it.  Mecha Phantom Beasts were an option, but not one I wanted to go into when it would make me the only one with Synchro monsters, even if it'd work really well with tag duels with Kansa's Wind deck.  Ultimately, I went Nekroz, since it lets me use Gishki without the Gishki, and the whole "recycling old monsters as armor" plays in well with a salvage theme.  It also gives my deck scope for development as well.

Name: Meriel Taylor
Appearance: Rather average in height at about 5'11".  Dark hair cut short, with pale blue eyes.  Her tastes tend towards sturdy clothing that won't show stains: a leather jacket, black short-sleeved shirt, and heavy denim jeans with steel-toed work boots suitable for long hikes, all of which show the signs of regular patching and repair. 
Backstory: Meriel was discovered at the age of 4 a presumed orphan, with the only knowledge of her parents being a single duel device - a pendant of a crescent moon.  Taken in by a sympathetic duelist, she learned quickly how to fight and survive.  Now operating as a scavenger and retriever, Meriel tends to operate solo for long stretches in the abandoned cities, especially those in hot areas where Singularity forces were known to operate in strength.  Her job tends to be not just the gathering of energy, but also of equipment - non-perishable supplies, examples of tech to be studied, and the like.  Mechanically clever, she tends to repair these and either sell them in towns or use them herself: her duel disc is itself a piece of salvaged tech, taken from a destroyed AI and repaired.  As this is the only remaining way to replace old duel discs and obtain new ones ever since the human factories were destroyed, and thereby prevent humanity from losing the war through simple attrition (as duelists die and their discs are taken), skills like her permit her to be in demand wherever she goes. 

Devices:
1: Single silver pendant of a crescent moon. 43%
2: Duel disc data core (integrated device). 59%
3: Metallic flat plate, of dimensions identical to that of a game card, covered in circuitry. 55%

Spoiler: Salvage Operation (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:49:03 pm by Culise »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 02:47:22 pm »

This is taking longer than I planned to find substitute cards with lower rarities. Still working on it though.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 04:39:17 pm »

I editted my deck again, noticed a problem... Sorry.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:40:56 pm by FelixSparks »

kingofferrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferret King
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 01:41:58 pm »

I'm interested, since I haven't had a chance to play YGO in a while, but I do have a few questions beforehand.

1) About the rarity limit - is there a particular reason that you chose rarity of first printing, rather than, say, lowest rarity, or most commonly printed rarity? It has the disadvantage that a lot of cards are later reprinted as lower rarities because they've become staples of the game, and so running staples will cut into the rarity budget under the current rules. For example, if I'm reading the wiki page correctly (I'm going to Gallery and looking at the rarity of the top-left-most printing, since I think they're in chronological order), MST is going to be a Super under these rules and cut pretty heavily into the 5 super budget, but in practice, 3 MST is what most people run.

2) If I have an extra deck, does it share rarity restriction with the main deck? I probably won't run Synchros, but I might do Fusions.

3) How will dueling actually be handled? Are we going to go onto, say, DN and have the battle there, or are we going to have some way to PBP it?

4) How often will the players be dueling each other as opposed to dueling the evil robots of doom?

5) Should we avoid newer archetypes? I'm curious to see if I can get Shaddolls (probably Shaddoll/Artifacts) working under the rarity restrictions, but I can also run Chain Beat if you prefer avoiding that for power creep reasons.
Tsuyoku naritai.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 02:07:34 pm »

1) About the rarity limit - is there a particular reason that you chose rarity of first printing, rather than, say, lowest rarity, or most commonly printed rarity? It has the disadvantage that a lot of cards are later reprinted as lower rarities because they've become staples of the game, and so running staples will cut into the rarity budget under the current rules. For example, if I'm reading the wiki page correctly (I'm going to Gallery and looking at the rarity of the top-left-most printing, since I think they're in chronological order), MST is going to be a Super under these rules and cut pretty heavily into the 5 super budget, but in practice, 3 MST is what most people run.

2) If I have an extra deck, does it share rarity restriction with the main deck? I probably won't run Synchros, but I might do Fusions.

3) How will dueling actually be handled? Are we going to go onto, say, DN and have the battle there, or are we going to have some way to PBP it?

4) How often will the players be dueling each other as opposed to dueling the evil robots of doom?

5) Should we avoid newer archetypes? I'm curious to see if I can get Shaddolls (probably Shaddoll/Artifacts) working under the rarity restrictions, but I can also run Chain Beat if you prefer avoiding that for power creep reasons.

1) It's first, after structure decks have been removed from the list, as there are times when cards that are really powerful get released as common, short print, etc in limited edition sets.  So rather than having players being forced to look through twice as many pages, I'm using the 'first after structure decks' as a blanket rule to reduce deck building difficulty.  Besides this, I want people to have their decks be able to improve over the course of the game, rather than having the best right out the gates.  I really enjoy Culise's extras, as it provides me with a variety of choices for loot I can give the character.

2) Yes.

3) Play-by-post.  Cards will be drawn via RNG, with players having one 'destiny draw' that has a 1 in 100 chance of occurring, which, if it does, allows the player to out-of-character choose what the next card they draw is.

4) Inter-player will be rare, but the deathbots aren't going to be the only entities you'll be battling.

5) I don't care as long as it follows the rules.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

kingofferrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferret King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2014, 02:25:49 am »

Alright, cool, makes sense. I'll probably post a character tomorrow - I think I've got my deck worked out. One last question - can we have a side deck? I guess the robots probably won't be battling in match format, but it might be nice to just have a couple extra commons laying around that my character can swap in between duels if he feels like a card isn't working for him.
Tsuyoku naritai.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 09:29:58 am »

Alright, cool, makes sense. I'll probably post a character tomorrow - I think I've got my deck worked out. One last question - can we have a side deck? I guess the robots probably won't be battling in match format, but it might be nice to just have a couple extra commons laying around that my character can swap in between duels if he feels like a card isn't working for him.

Nah.  Extra likely won't be too full, so you'll have plenty of spares there.

FelixSparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 05:47:32 pm »

Sorry, I redid my deck again, but this is the final version! Promise!

kingofferrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferret King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2014, 02:58:22 pm »

Name: Bert Tobler

Appearance: A somewhat balding, white-haired man who looks older than he is - living in the wilderness takes its toll. His eyes are brown on a mildly wrinkled face, and his slightly slouched posture makes him 5' 7". He has a long, slightly scraggly beard that extends to his belly button, and normally wears a frayed heavy coat, an old T-shirt, and loose long pants. He carries around a small backpack and and few yellowing, dog-eared survival books, most of which have margins filled with his personal notes in surprisingly good handwriting. He keeps a well-maintained survival knife at his belt, and usually keeps one of his old awards (a gilded Blue Eyes card that isn't legal for dueling use) stuffed into a coat pocket.

Backstory: Bert was a rising star on the dueling circuits at the time the Singularity War began. Being a practical man with a fondness for not being brutally murdered in a hopeless-seeming war, he checked some wilderness survival books out of the library (with no intention of returning them) and skipped town to dodge the draft. With the help of his books, a dash of ingenuity, and more than a few lucky breaks during the first few months while he got situated, he managed to survive. Living in the wilderness for years, he rarely saw other humans, but once he was a practiced hand at survival, he started to offer the few he found a spot by his fire for the night in exchange for the pleasure of some company. Eventually, a passing messenger he hosted revealed to him that the survival of humanity now relied on the skills of brave duelists fighting against the Singularities, using the powers of these new Duel Disks. He asked the messenger about the way to the nearest town, and bid him farewell in the morning. After pondering on this for a few days, he dug into his stores and pulled out a memento - his old deck. He caught a big surplus of food and brought it to town, deck and backpack in tow. Trading the food and some dueling lessons for a spare Duel Disk, he started the next phase of his life. While Bert still disliked the idea of risking his life to defend others, he now had a way to protect himself against the vicious robots as he wandered if he couldn't evade them, and he was more than happy to make a less dangerous contribution to the defense of humanity - going from town to town, giving dueling lessons and training to the defenders in exchange for someone else's cooking and a bed that makes his back less sore than the ground.

Devices:
1) A clockwork ten-gallon hat. The rim is marked as a clock, and two hands extends out from the side of the hat. It keeps terrible time. Bert usually wears it, claiming the ticking helps him think. He tends to stop it with a sharp smack when he needs to sneak around, and restart it the same way. (43%)
2) A pair of pink fuzzy dice linked with a fiber optic cable. When charged, the fuzz tends to be warm, and can serve as a pillow. It usually dangled from Bert's backpack. (56%)
3) A shiny gem in a weathered and slightly ripped felt bag. The bag isn't part of the device, but exists so that birds will stop trying to steal the gem. (54%)

Spoiler: Gladiator Beasts (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 04:23:25 pm by kingofferrets »
Tsuyoku naritai.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 06:26:43 pm »

Only complaint I have about your sheet King, is that you should keep in mind that the average life expectancy is 43.  You don't have to change anything, just...keep that in mind.

Is it possible to find/loot/obtain Synchro Cards later on?

Yes.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:47:40 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

kingofferrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferret King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 08:37:46 pm »

Only complain I have about your sheet King, is that you should keep in mind that the average life expectancy is 43.  You don't have to change anything, just...keep that in mind.

I'm aware. I thought about it, and went with making him 56 for three reasons:

1) The practical reason. The character concept requires that he be on the dueling circuit before the war starts. If the war started 38 years ago, there's only so young he can really be. I went with him being 18 when the war happened because it seemed reasonable.
2) The statistical reason. The average life expectancy is 43, sure, but that also means plenty of people are dying later than 43 - it is, after all, an average. Not only that, but since the world is dangerous, average life expectancy is dragged down low - because a lot of people are dying very young. Those that survive the dangerous early years, before they have their skills and wisdom, I think are going to be much more likely to live a long time. It's part of the weirdness of having unnatural violent deaths included.
3) The philosophical reason. The average life expectancy is 43. So it's probably the case that given some random person, it would be odd to have him be 56+ years old. However, this is a story. We're not talking about a random person off the street - we roleplay these characters because they're interesting people with a story, and part of Bert's story is his long life. So it's not that I chose a character to play that happened to live weirdly long - I chose to play the character because he had the unique characteristic of a weirdly long life.

Admittedly, 56 is definitely an age where things like cancer and heart disease (though not dementia or Alzheimer's, I don't think) start to be a concern, but on the bright side, he doesn't have a lot of risk factors. Not much smoking or drinking, and it's hard to gain a lot of weight living in the wilderness most of the time.
Tsuyoku naritai.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2014, 07:42:36 pm »

When are we planning on starting this?
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16