Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dragon: The Game - OP now includes the Dev's plan.  (Read 8231 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There isn't too much info on this.

There are a few games I've played that already fulfill the "be a dragon and kill stuff" quota. So this game would need to be particularly amazing to succeed in my mind.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile

There isn't too much info on this.

There are a few games I've played that already fulfill the "be a dragon and kill stuff" quota. So this game would need to be particularly amazing to succeed in my mind.

Been reading through the thread they have for suggesting content, and one of the first few is to have you be able to be politically active, and long hibernations (up to 100 years), so that would imply the world would be fairly living, one of the thoughts given in the hibernation was the possibility of a Kingdom dropping a city right on top of your lair.  Not sure how far those will be implemented, but the final thing of note I have read so far is that the developers stated that they are going to be supporting modding through the Steam Workshop, or, if not there, then something similar.

Edit: (Continued findings)
Discussion of Permadeath mode where you take control of a descendant.
Customization of the world you play in, via climate, mountain ranges, natural resource abundance, cap of towns/villages/cities, etc (implies randomization)
Reputation settled by 'Dominance vs Independence and Compassion vs Apathy'

There doesn't appear to be too many people contributing, so we may be able to guide it somewhat.  Here's the thread.

For those who are wondering what the devs are planning, here's a post one of them made back in June:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 03:01:41 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon: The Game - You play as a dragon. Need I say more?
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2014, 05:02:20 pm »

That all sounds way too ambitious. I'm generally leery of a game that has more to say about its potential plans that what it already has accomplished. Especially when those potential plans include any sort of living world/persistence claims.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2014, 05:13:54 pm »

Living worlds and persistence is easy...detail makes it harder to accomplish. So we just have to see how abstract they are with it.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2014, 05:15:06 pm »

That all sounds way too ambitious. I'm generally leery of a game that has more to say about its potential plans that what it already has accomplished. Especially when those potential plans include any sort of living world/persistence claims.

The modibiliy and second spoiler are the only stuff I have thus far seen confirmed, and, out of that, only Phase III seems to be the only part of that which may prove to be too ambitious.  Even without it (Phase III), that appears to be a fairly solid game.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2014, 05:49:13 pm »

If they implement politics and social interactions with dynamically developing civilizations, this might be neat. Flying around and breathing fire on things seems like the least interesting part about being a dragon to me. So far, it looks terribly unfinished. Like others are saying, this seems like a concept with some pretty pictures, not a game. And nothing of what the demo video shows convinces me that the people behind this have any clue what they're doing. Graphic artists make notoriously bad game developers.

Seems like, check back in a year and a half and see if it's gone anywhere.

Reminds me of kenshi. Great concept. But after what, four years, it's still not playable as a game?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2014, 05:55:56 pm »

Kenshi is playable as a game...has been for a good while. Needs more content but otherwise has been completely playable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile

How do you determine if a game has potential based on the fact it's currently barebones with minimal details in regards to the 'we plan to do X' from the devs?
Back in the before times in the long long ago developers made working prototypes and tech demos to sample the potential of both the game concept and the skill of the developers. Now apparently it's completely fine to throw up 30 minutes of dicking around in Unity with stock resources without any promises that the game with be finished and charge money upfront for it.

I can't purely determine if a game has potential based on some barebones half-baked glorified landscape (which is the biggest and most anti-consumer problem of Early Access) but I do know that the stage where I should be impressed (IE when they demand fucking money for it) I see absolutely nothing redeeming or interesting and for me that speaks volumes of what to expect from the future of the title.
I should be impressed with what the developers have presented instead of being strung along by an interesting premise that will likely never be delivered on.
That's just an indication of their failure to understand marketing, desperation OR, judging byt he fact people are buying it, them actually understanding marketing. Back then, people wouldn't touch a game as barebones as this (well, the equivalent), but nowadays people will.

Memememememe!

Me!

I want it. Though it should definitely have peasants to burninate in addition to a good flight model.

Went ahead and grabbed it. I have always wanted a proper dragon simulation game as I think its a concept with lots of potential and would love to see it happen

They seem to understand modern marketing very well.

Don't sell the actual game, but instead sell the shiny idea of one. It works.
._.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2014, 06:08:15 pm »

erm...except I didn't really base my purchase off the marketing...I used my money as a gesture of support. I didnt read the full description or what they had planned. As I stated I simply showed my support for an idea with potential...If there is proper modding...then the quality of the final game will be less important

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2014, 06:12:04 pm »

Kenshi is playable as a game...has been for a good while. Needs more content but otherwise has been completely playable

Sure, and this dragon game is "playable as a game" if all you want to do is fly around and breath fire on things. But that falls rather short of what I imagine any of us are imagining. The website says they expect development time to a complete V1.0 retail release to be between 9 and 24 months. If this grows in the next two years as much as kenshi did in its first two years...would you still want it?

Also, unity is notoriously bad for games of this sort. It's a bloated and unwieldly, and doesn't scale very well. I totally expect that this cute little demo they've concocted probably burns up 80% cpu resources on any machine, and once they start adding content, it's likely to slow to a crawl, and they probably don't even realize it.

Here's the developer's website. This is their first game, ever, and they've apparently been promoting it for at least five months. And if you check the comments on steam, a lot of people are saying that the demo doesn't even work because the menus are broken. After five months of promoting it. And yet they think they might be finished in 9 months?

Nothing about this project inspires confidence.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Memememememe!

Me!

I want it. Though it should definitely have peasants to burninate in addition to a good flight model.

Went ahead and grabbed it. I have always wanted a proper dragon simulation game as I think its a concept with lots of potential and would love to see it happen

They seem to understand modern marketing very well.

Don't sell the actual game, but instead sell the shiny idea of one. It works.

Don't get me wrong here, I would love for a game like what they're ennvisioning to exist, but I can't say that I have very much faith in this one. I definitely agree that it's dubious at best to be asking $18 for it in its current state and I doubt it'll end up the way they want it to.

I suspect it will bea rather sad story all together with the devs being fueled in their grandiose dreams by early enthusiasts. Then, as time goes on and it turns out that things take a lot of time the internet will become impatient and acidic, as it is wont to to when release and feature promises are not met. In short, I believe we might be in for something like what happened to Starbound.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 06:59:50 pm »

I suspect it will bea rather sad story all together with the devs being fueled in their grandiose dreams by early enthusiasts. Then, as time goes on and it turns out that things take a lot of time the internet will become impatient and acidic, as it is wont to to when release and feature promises are not met. In short, I believe we might be in for something like what happened to Starbound.

Or Star Forge.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »

erm...except I didn't really base my purchase off the marketing...I used my money as a gesture of support. I didnt read the full description or what they had planned. As I stated I simply showed my support for an idea with potential...If there is proper modding...then the quality of the final game will be less important

Here's my idea for peace in the Middle East. It is a good idea with plenty of potential. Here is my prototype.

I need $250,000,000 to complete my goals and you can support me for a mere $20,000. Now there's no guarantees it will happen nor do I receive any kind of penalties if I fail to deliver. This might be my first attempt at massive geopolitics and I have no formal training but believe me that I am highly motivated!
There will also be plenty of democracy, which as you know, has the potential to fix anything so the quality of the peace shouldn't matter.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 07:08:25 pm »

Sure, and this dragon game is "playable as a game" if all you want to do is fly around and breath fire on things. But that falls rather short of what I imagine any of us are imagining. The website says they expect development time to a complete V1.0 retail release to be between 9 and 24 months. If this grows in the next two years as much as kenshi did in its first two years...would you still want it?

Also, unity is notoriously bad for games of this sort. It's a bloated and unwieldly, and doesn't scale very well. I totally expect that this cute little demo they've concocted probably burns up 80% cpu resources on any machine, and once they start adding content, it's likely to slow to a crawl, and they probably don't even realize it.

Here's the developer's website. This is their first game, ever, and they've apparently been promoting it for at least five months. And if you check the comments on steam, a lot of people are saying that the demo doesn't even work because the menus are broken. After five months of promoting it. And yet they think they might be finished in 9 months?

Nothing about this project inspires confidence.

lol no...it doesn't take 80% CPU and no unity is not bloated and unwieldy. You are making a lot of assumptions. I have a hard time talking to someone who wants to just make assumptions and wave them around like he knows everything.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 07:10:55 pm »

Here's my idea for peace in the Middle East. It is a good idea with plenty of potential. Here is my prototype.

I need $250,000,000 to complete my goals and you can support me for a mere $20,000. Now there's no guarantees it will happen nor do I receive any kind of penalties if I fail to deliver. This might be my first attempt at massive geopolitics and I have no formal training but believe me that I am highly motivated!
There will also be plenty of democracy, which as you know, has the potential to fix anything so the quality of the peace shouldn't matter.

So does this post have any value other than insulting me with your bullshit? I gave my $18 away and don't care what comes of it. I never invest in early access in games with some sort of overbearing expectation like so many people. I am not retarded. I don't put money into EA games expecting a finished game on the spot and I don't expect any of them to finish. If it finishes well then a pleasant surprise for me. If it doesn't turn out...oh well. Not sure why you see a need to sit here and mock me...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4