Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Voar  (Read 14140 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Voar
« on: November 10, 2014, 12:05:44 am »

I recently was introduced to a game called voar. It seems like a fairly recently creation, so I decided that given how much I liked it there'd probably be some overlap on bay12, especially given our attachment to kerbal space program and the like. There's no thread here yet, so I decided to make it myself.

The basic concept is simple. You have a spaceship. It is highlighted in green. Left clicking increases your speed. Generally, you want to orbit the planet as long as possible to build up points. The current leader is highlighted in red, with their name at the top of the screen, making for a situation much like Mario Kart where everyone wants you dead if you're the leader. Oh right, did I mention you can die? Crashing into other players or objects kills you. Going too fast is likely to send you to the edge of the map, which also kills you. Luckily respawning is instant so there's no real loss other than score. There are essentially two types of players. People that want to smash into the leader as often as possible and ruin everyone's day(leader kills are tracked), and those that actually want to be the leader.

The closer you are to the planet, the more points you gain over time. Inner orbits can be dangerous though, given that new players spawn there and it can get crowded very quickly. Also, every now and then, hazards spawn that are guaranteed to kill almost everyone on the map(you can survive, but it takes a great deal of both luck and skill), giving new players a chance. Also, the game is entirely free, which is nice. There's no account system either, though that means it doesn't really keep track of any of your accomplishments, at least not yet. Development is still kinda in progress.

Interested? It can be found here. voar.io

Spoiler: Newbie tips (click to show/hide)

I'll probably try and update this first post periodically if the game updates, as well as maybe improve the title/wording.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Voar
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:37:56 am »

I spent my time casually cruising along watching everybody else trying to take the leader out, I actually almost took one out but boosted myself away. I then became leader for a moment, where everyone suddenly boosted out of orbit to try to take me out when someone with a closer orbit outpaced my slow point gain and I once again became a non-threat.

I then accidentally got myself in a situation where I was stuck in outer orbit going so slow that I would hit the planet not matter what, and in trying to escape from it I got myself stuck hitting the outer wall. 1944 points

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:44:47 am »

I got leader for a bit too.  I don't really get it.  The only way to kill the leader is to lose all of your own points as well so unless you've got no points or you're feeling spiteful it seems like there's no logical reason to try to kill the leader.  It's best to just lay low and wait for the goats to slowly chip the points down until you're on top.
Shoes...

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 01:15:39 am »

I got to 2000 points in outer orbit gradually adjusting my ship while everybody else crashed into each other, and when I took over as leader about half the players starting boosting up at me and I died pretty quickly. It's one of those games that makes you hate everybody playing it intensely.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 05:15:51 am »

It's one of those games that makes you hate everybody playing it intensely.

Spot on. Every time I collided with someone I immediately thought "YOU FUCKER! YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE!" They were probably thinking the same thing.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 06:12:59 am »

I managed to turn around somehow.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:21:11 am »

Playing this, I have observed two kinds of people: the very few that aim for the leader, and the rest.

The rest could be doing anything; trying to make points from a low orbit or circularise or whatever.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 06:22:37 am »

Does anyone have thing thing, where you can't click until you die?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 02:12:12 pm »

Did I do alright?
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 02:46:31 pm »

Got leader a few times, saw one of you, killed about three or four leaders. The moon is a b*tch. And that outer wall. And the inability to burn retrograde...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 02:48:22 pm »

a problem I have with the game is that clicking gives you both a forward accelleration and a small one in outward radial direction, meaning you cannot do it at all if close to the border

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 03:43:41 pm »

Neat little game. A nice thing to play in my free time at the office, but it seems to be temporarily unavailable now.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 04:27:06 pm »

I've had the thing where you can't click before, but I kinda figured I had just changed tabs too many times. It'll probably get fixed eventually. Being in second place is generally optimal, because once you're leader you're basically guaranteed to get chased into a far orbit that takes you 5 minutes to get down from. When it comes to getting turned around, I feel like orbiting counter-clockwise is a disadvantage from my couple experiences with it. When you're going towards people instead of away from them, you're a much easier target I guess.

Edit: If I crashed the server by introducing bay12 to it, sorry about that.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:30:37 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 04:27:31 pm »

I cannot into be playing the game.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 05:45:04 pm »

Edit: If I crashed the server by introducing bay12 to it, sorry about that.

it was recently on ksp subreddit as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7