Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Author Topic: Wikipedia Article Warfare [Round 10: Alliances]  (Read 20996 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wikipedia Article Warfare [Round 10: Alliances]
« on: November 09, 2014, 08:16:07 pm »

"That motherfucker don't know when to stop beating on a dead horse does he? Goddamn."
- Leopold Ignaz Joseph Balthasar Felician, Holy Roman Emperor, regarding Game Master T.upac C.alligraphy M.asta' and his constant rebooting of games.

Remember this game guys? Maybe? No? Oh, that's okay. I'm bringing it back, because even though it never got far, it's still a fun-ass concept, if I say so myself.

Now, I feel that the last two attempts at this game failed because despite this game centering around Player VS. Player Combat, (or just PvP conflict in general, as many players had abilities that extended beyond the realm of combat) there was little incentive to actually engage other players. Well, I've come up with such an incentive:

*New Gameplay Addition!*

In this game, players gain Items and Abilities based on five completely Random Wikipedia Articles. In previous games, these were permanent for the duration of a single game until the next. This time, things are different: For each player you incapacitate, you will gain another Random Wikipedia Article. This provides incentive no matter how your initial luck is: If you start out with a load of good Items and Abilities, you can steamroll through other players to rack up even more to become the dominant and most threatening character. Inversely, if your five starting Articles suck, why not kill a couple other players for a chance at getting something good?

EVEN MORE IMPORTANT GAMEPLAY ADDITION: 48-hour time limit between updates!

Gameplay:

The goal of this game is to incapacitate all of the other players to the point where they can not incapacitate you back. The simplest way to achieve this goal would be to kill the other players, or put them in a comatose/long-term K.O.'d state, but there are other viable methods including complete subduction or damage to one's mind to the point where they can't even cognitively function well enough to be a proper contender anymore. The last player remaining will be the Champion.

The Game runs on a 10-Sided Die system for completing actions, so a Rolled 10 will result in the complete satisfaction of the intended action, whereas a 1 will result in the direct opposite. Everyday simple actions require no rolls. Things like climbing a ladder, breaking down a door or hacking through an electronic lock, will.

Each player receives 5 Items and Abilities, based on 5 Random Wikipedia Articles loaded for them. Abilities have some sort of effect on the player, oftentimes a modifier to certain types of rolls, or access to a non-standard ability. For example, a Random Article on a Baseball Player may give the player a +2 to actions involving the use of Baseball Bats or similarly-shaped Club-type items. Most nouns will simply give the player a certain amount of an item. Getting Graphite may have them simply starting out with a sack full of Graphite.
[Note: In the current addition of the game, I will only use Articles that have enough content to get me something specific. This is to prevent what happened in previous games, where all the 3-sentence articles about obscure Basketball and Football Players caused everyone to have similar Abilities.]

But won't this result in huge disparities, with one player starting with an assault rifle, another with Telekinesis, and another with a pogostick? Of course, that's what makes this fun! Be creative, that's why the goal is to Incapacitate, not just Kill. A player can be blessed with getting the Article for Immortality, but that makes them far from unbeatable.

In general, most Articles will work like this:

-Organisms, People, Fictional Characters, and Mythological/Religious Entities will give the Player an Attribute based on their own abilities and habits.
-Locations will give Abilities based on what they're known for, ex., Detroit would give its player a +2 to actions involving automobiles.
-Items will mostly result in the player starting with one or more of them on-hand, depending on their function, size, etc.
-Concepts, Theories and Abstractions will give Abilities based on their general subject. A player with Pragmatism will get an ability to disprove untestable impossibilities, ex., nullifying the magical powers of another player.
-Miscellaneous Articles will result in...something. Eh, I'll figure it out. This game is Bollocks enough already.

Abilities aren't inherently bad, but may carry risky side-effects, or could simply be almost useless.

The location of the game will be the first Random Article I get to that could physically hold all of the players simultaneously. This location will serve as the boundary for the game's first 3 Turns, after which the boundary will dissipate. The location could vary from a cruise ship, to the entire country of Moldavia, to a gas station in Central America, to Al Capone's Jail Cell, etc.

So that's it. If you want in, simply say so.

Spoiler: NPCs (click to show/hide)

Example Player Load-out:

TCM

Rich LeFevre: +2 Competitive Eating.
Jersey City Public Schools: +2 Public Education.
Texas Southern Tigers Football: +2 American Football.
Van Oord: +3 Land Reclamation.
Alan McCullough (Loyalist): +2 Counter-Terrorism, become a North Irish Loyalist.

Players:
1. Kevak
2. Execute/Dumbo.exe
3. NAV
4. Salsacookies
5. micelus
6. SaberToothTiger
7. Peradon
8. Hawk132
9. High tyrol
10. Person

Waitlist:
1. Yourmaster
2. darkpaladin109
3. BFEL
4. Andres
5. Ddynamo
6. Lord_lemonpie
7. Peradon
8. Generally me
9. FallacyofUrist
10. cinder

11. Hawk132

Champions:
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 05:37:37 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
Re: Wikipedia Article Warfare -Resurrection-
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 08:21:45 pm »

Sha-IN

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 08:32:46 pm »

IN, SO MUCH.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 08:34:24 pm »

In~

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 08:44:32 pm »

Sha-IN

And we've got our first player, welcome back. Since I'm eager to try out my revamped system, let's use you as a test-run to see what kind of articles we can come up with...

Pretend you guys didn't see that. I realized that it wouldn't be far to Ddynamo if I revealed that stuff too early, and didn't reveal everyone else simultaneously.

POST-EDIT: And I lost those first 5 articles for Ddynamo anyways. Well, at least that means he gets an equal chance without any of his articles revealed pre-game.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:03:12 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 08:47:59 pm »

IN!
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 08:59:23 pm »

In
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 09:02:14 pm »

In.
10/10.
Wants to rape and enslave my innocent night faeries ;-;

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 09:20:39 pm »

In pls.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 09:29:46 pm »

In if possible
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2014, 09:30:19 pm »

Hmm.... Interesting...

Eh, I'll in.

PPE: son of a... Wait list then...

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2014, 09:43:08 pm »

That looks like everyone, I'll have the game up as soon as possible.

Also, one player has gotten the Article for Immurement, which is pretty horrible on its own and I have to figure out some sort of ability relevant to it.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 09:50:12 pm »

waitlist.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 10:04:58 pm »

I'm too late?  :(
Waitlist please.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

PiotraperPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 05:59:24 am »

Waitlist me please, though I can't guarantee that when it comes to picking players from the waitlist I will be available.
^ This side up ^
I have a degree in Procrastination
Known for doing stupid grammer mistakes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18