Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mounts, Horsemanship, and Sieges  (Read 2520 times)

Iminyourhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mounts, Horsemanship, and Sieges
« on: November 09, 2014, 07:52:22 pm »

I think it would be cool if your dwarfs could have mounts. They would increase speed depending on the mount and the level of horsemanship the dwarf has. When you go to a dwarfs prefrences under e: work animals would be m: mounts. Mounts would be 1. What other civilizations can ride and 2. Equines, line horses, donkeys, and mules. I also think it would be cool to add a new siege mechanic-Attacking other civilizations.  In the civilizations menu you could press S while selecting the civilization to siege. It would ask if you were sure and if you said yes it would ask you what squads you want to bring. It would take you to the other civilizations base with all your soliders on the edge and you could attack the elfs/humans/goblins/dwarfs with the standard kill command.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mounts, Horsemanship, and Sieges
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 08:59:15 pm »

Well, AI problems are the main reason mounts haven't been added for fortress mode yet. Buuut, to me personally it just seem undwarfy to have my stocky axe lords ride into battle on a horse. Having multiple dwarves ride a single large creature on a harness like the southrons in LotR seems much more appropriate. But that's just my preference.

Being able to siege other sites has been suggested for many years. The latest release has made another major step towords that end goal, but it's still many releases away.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Iminyourhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 09:04:37 pm »

Thats true. My miners like to starve in the holes they dig :P

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 09:06:29 pm »

Many works of literature have dwarves riding on massive animals. I even did some writing myself, wherein one dwarven tactic had three dwarves on one giant boar: one up front, stearing the beast while holding a large shield out front, one in the middle, holding a spear, so he can stab at people as the boar turns or stops, and a dwarf on the back, with a crossbow or hand cannon, shooting approaching targets. I can't see this being very effective past certain situations, as this was normally a defensive measure for them. I can see it happening in Dwarf Fortress though, along with dwarves on basically any mount. Imagine an axe lord charging into battle on an iron clad cave dragon? I can see nothing dwarfier than charging into battle on cave dragons and draltha.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 03:05:09 am »

What AI problems? If they suck at riding things (skill), then they move around unpredictably, not too difficult AI. Otherwise they move just like everyone else, but there's a war animal in the same tile to help fight, that's pretty much all you need.

Already on the list though.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 03:07:55 am »

It's already done for sieges. All we need is a mount-dismount option, quite like pushing a minecart, but on the same tile, with the skill of the rider determining how much meandoring the animal does. Doesn't sound too impossible.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 06:41:30 pm »

Sigged.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 08:58:41 pm »

What AI problems? If they suck at riding things (skill), then they move around unpredictably, not too difficult AI. Otherwise they move just like everyone else, but there's a war animal in the same tile to help fight, that's pretty much all you need.

Already on the list though.

The issue is who controls the mounted together units. The mount, or the rider? There are already many issues associated with invader mounts, and the problem would only increase if it was made possible in fortress mode. I mean, Toady can of course resolve these issues. But that's the main reason they're not currently implemented for player use.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 08:41:03 am »

Yeah. I get this...a lot.

Even when I didn't accidentally forget to give them a ramp/stairs to the surface.  >:(

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 02:02:21 pm »

The issue is who controls the mounted together units. The mount, or the rider?
High skill = the rider
Low skill = the mount
Medium skill = they periodically trade off, and achieve a weighted average of time spent in control depending on how much skill.

Not too complicated. Just re-calculate who is in control every 50 ticks or so.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2014, 10:30:26 am »

isn't that included in the army arc ?

I agree in overall. I feel dwarves are an infantry-heavy civilization (especially that they are subterranean) but cavalry gives an army such an advantage on most flat terrain that isn't a forest... not to mention the marching speed boost.

At least, mounted infantry or marksdwarves should be in. Giant badger mount = faster infantry even if they don't fight on it.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 07:37:33 am »

Yeah, about the AI... The invaders actually don't control nothing, the mounts do their pathing without input from anyone, like they would without riders, makes some fun situations with amphibians,  fire-immune and others.
I think it's just a matter of time, since it's on their objectives list.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 10:04:11 am »

Yeah, about the AI... The invaders actually don't control nothing, the mounts do their pathing without input from anyone, like they would without riders, makes some fun situations with amphibians,  fire-immune and others.
I think it's just a matter of time, since it's on their objectives list.

Too bad cave dragons are not immune to magma. Else !!hilarity!! would happen if you had a magma moat and goblins siege you with cave dragon mounts.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2014, 10:59:50 am »

There's that gigantic thread about realistic battle strategy that would be available for dwarves and a case could be made for dwarves not needing mounts at all due to their amazing ability to control the terrain.

Flying mounts on the other hand would be very useful.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 12:31:12 pm »

There's that gigantic thread about realistic battle strategy that would be available for dwarves and a case could be made for dwarves not needing mounts at all due to their amazing ability to control the terrain.

Flying mounts on the other hand would be very useful.

Link please, i made one just like this
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: [1] 2