Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you hack off a neck without removing the head?  (Read 4039 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: How do you hack off a neck without removing the head?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 09:11:22 pm »

Stab
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 01:36:38 am »

The description of the event does not say how large the severed part is. :P

Only that it flies off in an arc. Big or small, does not matter!

(Besides, it's more funny to imagine it happening in a monty python's black knight scene type way!)
When it says a body part is severed and sails off in an arc, it means the whole body part. Really, I have no idea how you interpreted any other way, it's quite obvious in game that when you for example sever a right upper arm off you can no longer attack it and there's going to be a right upper arm laying on the ground somewhere.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2014, 05:43:56 pm »

(Besides, it's more funny to imagine it happening in a monty python's black knight scene type way!)
When it says a body part is severed and sails off in an arc, it means the whole body part. Really, I have no idea how you interpreted any other way, it's quite obvious in game that when you for example sever a right upper arm off you can no longer attack it and there's going to be a right upper arm laying on the ground somewhere.

Your explanation doesn't explain it... because what you just said isn't what the message is... "Urist hacks the creature in the arm, and the severed part sails off in an arc."

not

"Urist severs the arm and the severed part sails off in an arc"
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 01:43:56 am »

Your explanation doesn't explain it... because what you just said isn't what the message is... "Urist hacks the creature in the arm, and the severed part sails off in an arc."

not

"Urist severs the arm and the severed part sails off in an arc"
Well I didn't intend to put the exact message there, but what the exact message is basically saying is that a body part is severed and flies off in an arc. When I said that it says that I just meant that that's what it meant. I am too tired right now to be dealing with exact wording. I mean that the message says something, and I just said the same thing, but slightly differently. It still means the same thing.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 02:21:58 am »

You just arent having any fun with this.

It makes perfect sense for the neck (with head still attached) to be severed, and fly off in an arc, since the same mechanic is used to sever arms (with hands, and fingers still attached) and legs (with feet and toes still attached.)

the interesting thing would be to aim for the head, have it be severed, and leave a body with a neck on it.

Have a bit of a sense of humor; it won't kill you.  Imagining Urist hacking on some creature and having little bits fly off that arent whole body parts is funny. Think "Dwarven chipper shredder", and smile about it.  It isn't meant to be accurate. Just funny.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 02:40:11 am »

It still means the same thing.
But it doesn't. Again, what it says is "You hack [somebody] in the [body part] with an axe, and the severed part sails off in an arc"

So:
1) The axe hits the neck.
2) A chunk of neck is severed from the body.
3) That chunk sails off in an arc.

is a perfectly valid grammatical possibility. It never says anything about WHAT "the severed part" is. Just that whatever it is sails off in an arc after the axe hacked something.
The head is also a possibility for what the severed part is, but it is much less amusing, and not guaranteed.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2014, 04:48:00 am »

Noticed this tonight =P
(from throwing troglodytes into a 40 z cavern since they were cluttering things)

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2014, 06:35:58 am »

Yeah, severed parts are listed as their "closest to root" component, i.e. the head-with-neck chunk is called the neck. If you butcher it, you'll get some neck meat, but also prepared brain, a skull and head fat. Likewise, the "right upper arm" will usually include the right lower arm and hand.

The neck was even stranger in about .40.1 to .40.12 - concussive damage to the neck up to complete pulping would not disrupt communication between head and body. I have a .40.11 dwarf who is alive and well with severed nervous tissue in the upper spine (lovingly sewed together with yak hair), but that hasn't removed their ability to move or in fact breathe, because the damage was sustained in the neck. Seems that in that version, the head depends on the neck for structural support and blood supply, but nervous connection can bypass a broken neck via the beard.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2014, 07:50:49 pm »

Nov 5th update from Toady One says:

Stopped nerve check from bypassing broken parts between thought center and body roots

So that's apparently been fixed since 0.40.11

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

Consider Attack on Titan.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.
Pages: 1 [2]