Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 71129 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 16
« Reply #465 on: January 07, 2015, 05:39:32 am »

Climb up and sit down, waiting for the man to speak first.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 07, 2015, 07:51:48 am »

Pry open a couple of lockers before I bail out.

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 07, 2015, 11:08:59 am »

"A shame, from what I heard about the book it looked to be interesting. Oh well, bye."

Float around the room, trying to listen in on those humans discussing politics, while acting like I`m waiting to get food.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 07, 2015, 01:24:15 pm »

Choice of pods is obvious, fluid capsules, I want to fight, not risk floating around in space.
Hangar and weapon control are easier and allows me to weaken their firepower, but grav ring lets me control the ship, effectively neutralizing all the firepower.
There's also the whole population of Murder-town that's gonna try and stop me, and I have a mighty gun to shoot them with.

Get to the fluid capsules going for the Grav-ring.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: 16
« Reply #469 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:17 am »

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

Climb up and sit down, waiting for the man to speak first.

[1/6] Removing your suit and storing it inside the airlock, you enter the cabin space and take a seat next to some generic looking guild associates. The spaceplane is currently flying with a minimum crew consisting of an engineer, a pilot, and an officer. The officer is the first to stand and shake your hand.

"Glad you made it out of the--"

Suddenly, there is a huge explosion that engulfs the side of the cabin, causing the engineer to fall out (fortunately for him, he is still inside his suit). Atmosphere quickly starts to leak out as buzzers and alarms warn you that there is, in fact, a giant hole in the side of the plane. The cabin's atmosphere control quickly backfills the space with more and more nitrogen as a clear, elastic tarp is automatically extended over the breach to slow down the rate of leakage. A lot of paperwork and loose objects were sucked out as well as the engineer, but the force exerted on humans by the depressurization was actually fairly low. The engineer fell out because the floor collapsed under him.

Both you and the officer put your suits away previously, so you've both suffered a bit of shock due to the sudden decompression and loud noise. You both manage to collapse on the bench, avoiding further dizziness-related harm that could have come about.

Over the intercom, the pilot frantically asks whilst cursing erratically, "Anyone in there okay? Air pressure's down to a stable 43%. Oxygen pressure is down to .13 bar but climbing... we're going to have to make a landing, either on the water or at port."
The pilot's cabin is sealed off from the rest of the passenger area, intended to provide a safety net against these sorts of things. His oxygen levels are probably fine, but you're starting to feel the effects of hypoxia from the partial re-pressurization. It's slowly getting better.

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 to first impressions)

"A shame, from what I heard about the book it looked to be interesting. Oh well, bye."

Float around the room, trying to listen in on those humans discussing politics, while acting like I`m waiting to get food.

The local mayor, Aurelus Caleos, is currently ruling more-or-less like a dictator in that most city officials will always accept his demands. So far, that's been a good thing, which is what one of the humans argues. The city gained well-needed infrastructure such as atmosphere shelters and emergency bunkers, which should have been installed a long time ago in a place such as this that is prone to attack. On the other hand, the future outlook is less clear. Now that most of the low-hanging fruit have been picked, the mayor is turning his eyes toward increasing the size and armament of the police force, using Guild assets from the local armories. Many of the humans are confused as to what this suggests, but the most prominent speaker among them puts forward a hypothesis: the governor is trying to get hired by the guild.

Normally, the guild does not hire 'newbies,' as they are called, or people without any prior military experience. The mayor has no engineering or technical background, and zero experience in leading or participating in an army. He is also disabled, and walks around on prosthetic legs most of the time. For this reason, the Guild is unlikely to send him an offer. But by cracking down on crime and commanding a well-armed police force, he might get the attention of a recruiter or two. This is all wild speculation, but a few of the other humans are interested in the idea.

One crackpot thinks the mayor is going to start an uprising. Against whom, the entire cityship?

Pry open a couple of lockers before I bail out.

[4+1] You... um... tinker with some of the locks ((to get a +1 bonus)) so that they are easier to open. By open, you mean you detach the hinges from the locker, and the the lock as a substitute for the hinges to keep the door from falling off.

The first thing you locate inside the lockers are a ring of alien keys. Most of these fit into the other lockers, allowing you to detach the doors completely, and replace them eventually.

The next thing you find is a roll of paper inside a sealed container. Perhaps because of the increased atmosphere, paper doesn't fare too well. You take a few moments to check the atmospheric composition: mostly nitrogen, with breathable levels of oxygen and highly toxic levels of methane. A human couldn't breath this.

The paper contains a design that greatly reminds you of the Arecibo message, consisting of a series of designs. Unlike the Arecibo message, however, the Alien message contains what appear to be maps of:
1) A spiral structure resembling the Milky Way, complete with a dot somewhere rather close to the galactic center.
2) a model of a trinary star system with planets orbiting each star. One of the stars is much larger than the other two, and its planets have dust trails behind them perhaps indicating that they are being vaporized by the star's heat.
3) An illustration of a manta-like creature standing erect, with four slim, curved digits on each hand and three-jointed arms. Several smaller, tentacle-like appendages line the creature's front torso, each about a fourth of the total height of the creature.
4) A series of numerals, in base 8.
5) What appear to be measuring units. You figure that the thick beam represents the speed of light, which is about 3e9 of their units, in base 8.

Burgundy, Francia | 235d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Burgundy Lobby
Heavy Chatter (-1 Intellect, +2 Stealth)

Choice of pods is obvious, fluid capsules, I want to fight, not risk floating around in space.
Hangar and weapon control are easier and allows me to weaken their firepower, but grav ring lets me control the ship, effectively neutralizing all the firepower.
There's also the whole population of Murder-town that's gonna try and stop me, and I have a mighty gun to shoot them with.

Get to the fluid capsules going for the Grav-ring.

After a few complications at the loading bay, you squeeze into a capsule with your fellow unit: an absolutely ordinary human guy named Charles, a large, slimy brute you suspect to be an Ogre named Alice, and a shiny robot named Steve. Slimy goop fills the cavity and purs into your lungs. Though gross, this will prevent you from turning into a pulp yourself when the capsule finally hits.

[6/4] You launch, and the kick from the electromagnetic propulsion startles you. Steve complains that it just wiped his RAM. Sucks for him.

[2] You make contact with the grav-ring. Unfortunately, the first volley was a little underpowered for safety reasons. Rather than causing damage with soldiers as a byproduct, the goal was to put soldiers on the vessel first in order to establish a beachhead. Your capsule lodges itself in the hull, just barely penetrating the walls of a pressurized section, otherwise lodged in twisted and burnt layers of hull plate.

Alice won't fit through the hole. Steve would be able to, but without his RAM he seems to have forgotten what he is here for. Charles is acting as if he is drunk, probably because he is drunk. The inertial dampening fluid is a viscous hydrocarbon, and guess what alcohol is? A hydrocarbon!

In fact, you feel a bit doozy yourself...
Dazed (-1 to next action if it is a combat action)

Although air is leaking out of the crack at an alarming rate, you are able to peek through to the other side. a single crewman, not dressed in a suit, is trying to drag a large metal panel around. He wields a power hammer the size of his leg, presumably to nail the sheet in with.

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 08, 2015, 01:31:09 am »

Just when I needed a bigger hole for the others, someone comes around with a hammer I can do it with.

"Poke" the crewman with my spear.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 08, 2015, 01:34:10 am »

Yeah, time to go. Bail out and head back to base.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2015, 01:37:02 am »

((Taking the 'mortar' with you?))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2015, 02:39:48 am »

((Taking the 'mortar' with you?))
((Sure, why not.))

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2015, 02:52:11 am »

"Go to port, ASAP!"
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2015, 12:03:22 pm »

((Fluff! Let's go a bit nuts this time.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:56 pm »

Continue watching the humans, are any of them feeling frustration about this mayor turn dictator.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2015, 09:24:35 pm »

((Quick mini-roll))

"Go to port, ASAP!"

"there is in fact a third option. We can hit the boat with our mortar. Should deal with the threat, and we can recover Watney after that's done."

Continue watching the humans, are any of them feeling frustration about this mayor turn dictator.

Rumor has it that the gangs are targeting the mayor. None of the humans would dare express an opinion supporting the gangs, but some are quick to point out that the mayor is very likely to occupy formerly gang-controlled territory that the police abandoned months ago.

As the umans wrap up their conversation, one notices you, although he doesn't know that you've been listening in on their conversation.
"What's that floating sphere over there?"
"Probably a service robot."

Meanwhile, a man in one corner of the cafeteria is explaining something to a female colleague.
"No I am telling you, there is no natural phemenon capable of sending these sorts of signals. It's very clearly a controlled antimatter reaction, grams, even kilograms per hour. We don't know how much is absorbed by the surrounding gas."
"So what are you asking for?"
"I've detected distinctive signs of antimatter reactions in a far corner of the galaxy. I've run the simulations, on the trajectory I mean. It's heading--or was heading--to SL 27432, a yellow dwarf star with a known planet in the habitable zone."
"You want us to send a search team to scour that entire sector for signs of intelligent life? Don't we have plenty of that here?"
"I'm afraid you don't understand the significance of this. Thousands of years ago, an antimatter powered vessel visited that planet. We can go there now. We are not aware of any way to economically produce antimatter in significant amounts. We just use small amounts of it to catalyze fusion. But these guys... they're using pure antimatter to cross vast distances. Their civilization must be extremely developed by now. We have to go find them."
"Don't you think if they wanted to meet us, they would have come themselves by now? It's not like we don't put out a lot of radio signals."
"I don't know, maybe they never discovered worldgate tech. We wouldn't have found it without that freak discovery a few hundred years ago."
"Ugh, refresh my memory."
"Primordinal black hole entered the solar system? Falsified centuries of quantum mechanics? It's the reason physics is still alive today. We thought we knew it all, then suddenly we realized we were scratching the surface at the wrong angle. It was sheer luck, do you know how big space is, or do you need a refresher on that too?"
"I'm a business major. My job is to make space as small as possible."

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 09, 2015, 05:37:42 am »

"You have a mortar? Awesome, but use it!"

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2015, 02:35:54 pm »

"Beep boop, I am nothing more than a cleaning bot, doing my business. Nothing to see here~"

Float over to the two humans standing in the corner.

"Greetings, my name is Slvia the 4th! I could not help but over here your conversation, which has filled me with wonder. Might I hear more about this strange signal? I could help you, we Zumbar have had contact with less than friendly, highly advanced race in the past and my race has been wondering the stars ever since. Maybe another of my race has stumbled upon this before and stored info on them in our Central Memory Bank."
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 02:38:15 pm by Ama »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 49