Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 71010 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - Galactic Goose Chase
« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2014, 12:34:38 pm »

"All you, buddy.  It's just a barfight; bad idea to make it personal."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 19, 2014, 04:57:52 pm »

((Double posting because I posted the below in the wrong thread somehow.))

((Is mind control something that's generally known to be a thing?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 19, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »

((As large machines, yes they are sometimes used for law enforcement and/or less noble causes. They are not common but not rare. Portable mind affecting devices are extremely rare but exist, Orion being an example.))
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:10:19 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 19, 2014, 09:02:41 pm »

((Good enough answer for me.))

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2014, 10:12:22 pm »

"Ah, an infiltration mission. Seeing as is was the reason I was built, I would say I am capable for the job."
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll 8- Intermission
« Reply #290 on: November 21, 2014, 12:22:08 am »

((Sorry for the delay. Done with classes for the week.))

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

"Come on. Let's at least check whether is he around."
If I am still in the elevator going up, try to open the hatch on top of the elevator if there is one, then climb down the emergency ladder that probably still is in the shaft.
If not, then get out and search for his things yet again.
Deuce shrugged.  "Yeah, I didn't feel much like chasing him either.  Cold as balls out there, and if you chase him down it's not really a barfight.  Loses the fun."

He looked up as his radio squawked.

'Nah, he got away.  We're coming back up now.'

Group up!

Hal: Curiously, the elevator you and Deuce are in had its entrance directly open to the outside climate, although it still has lockers, presumably for emergency use. What this suggests is that the airlock for this one is either part of the elevator, or up in the stopping point. Making the elevator the airlock would result in too many complications, engineering wise, so you are willing to bet it's the first option.

[6/3] The elevator itself is apparently a pressure vessel. Its walls are a mere few millimeters of steel, but its rounded cylindrical shape and the fact that the floor is raised separately from the hull makes it clear. This means that there aren't any panels you can simply break open, but there is a heavy duty hatch in the top. It's locked.

Deciding that it won't matter too much, you start elbowing the hatch in order to tear it off its hinges. The servos in your Atmo-suit assist in doing this. After a few hits, and fifteen precious seconds, you rip the hatch off. Surprisingly, it doesn't fly off due to air friction. Askarian's atmosphere has only 0.15 bars of pressure, so consequently friction is very low. However, simply glancing out the hatch reveals that you are already almost at your destination. This elevator is fast, though the aforementioned low atmosphere probably helps.

The elevator slows to a halt.

Deuce: Well, it seems you've arrived. You look to the door, awaiting its opening. Instead, however, you get an alarm, followed by text on the screen (which itself is behind heavy glass. The 'L' in 'LCD' stands for liquid after all):
IMPROPER SEAL--ACCESS DENIED

You also hear your pilot on the radio:
'My suit's picking you up. Get over here!'

You look at Hal, whose expression you cannot see due to the reflective faceplate on his suit. But he seems to have a solution! He grabs onto the hatch and takes advantage of the low gravity in order to flip himself over. Placing his feet squarely against the pod ceiling, he braces himself and pulls as hard as he can on the hatch, eventually creating an airtight seal. The elevator opens its doors, although the hatch seal isn't perfect, as evidenced by a faint hissing noise.

There's an emergency closet right outside the elevator. It should probably contain some sort of adhesive resin, since airlocks are involved here.

Port Newton Bar
Medium Chatter (+1 to deception, -1 to intellect)

"...Just another day in the guild...

Let's away gents, to the fish market. That's our only other lead."
McMarlo squawked.

Action: Excavate myself from the documentaries, then to the fish market!

As you leave the office, you see one of the bar entrance doors on the floor, along with some of the rippling fluid inside it spilling out over the floor. You notice a small gathering in the bar near the counter, and Jaina, your pilot, calls you over.

"Hey get over here! We found the person we were looking for."

Nidoma emerges from the office, having heard Jaina. You also hear something scraping and tapping against metal, although you're not sure what it is. You approach the crowd.

"Ah shit. Better hide."

Crawl up to the ceiling and stay there for a while. Be careful not to hit the lights or fans. When I get the chance head back to the bar for the headcount.

[6/2] Your suit might not be satisfactory just yet, but

Head back to the bar. Hope that we get to blow something up soon.
"Ah, an infiltration mission. Seeing as is was the reason I was built, I would say I am capable for the job."
"I'm a cultural researcher, but that does entail infiltration by nature. I'm qualified to do engineering, research, sales, and certain other civilian jobs which should allow for the initial integration. Once inside, I may be able to access inner systems through the plumbing, or collect intelligence from their personnel."

You all await Deuce and Hal to make their appearance.

Mission 1
[Operation: Gate Crash]

((Deuce and Hal's adventure will be continued via mini-roll))

Mission Briefing:
SpaceInc, a local conglomerate, makes its profits off of controlling he-3 trade within the von Hapsburg, von Karling, and Haunaua local group (including several border stars without further worldgate links). Its gas mining platforms are primarily operated by workers who are entirely dependent on receiving supplies and equipment from the corporation. This system has evolved into something resembling slavery, where workers are forced to work at zero pay in order to meet quotas for their very survival. Lacking transmitters of significant power, these workers cannot even call for help, and local militaries lack both power and motivation to put an end to these practices. However, the workers may have hope yet.

A Milanese prince, son of a wealthy noble family, has decided that enough is enough. SpaceInc's monopolgy really cuts down on entrepreneurial efforts, and the Milanese have a great desire to extend their commercial net beyond their rugged world. The prince is willing to shovel out a lot of gold if you can sabotage SpaceInc's efforts, moreso if you can shut them down for good. The gold is already being held by a local escrow agent in the Republic of Georgia.

The terms are simple. Cause as much havoc as you can, minimize civilian casualties. You are paid by the damage you can deal. Good luck!

Selection Process:

This will begin as an infiltration mission, although combat is inevitable. A freelancer named Atlos will be joining the Guild as part of the infiltration team. Five or six more agents will be selected from the following pool:
WARDEN
Hal Grizzy
Ziggo the Great
Nidoma
Nerin and Valrak
Deuce Holag
McMarlo

The method of selection? Why by the highly sophisticated method of drawing straws, of course!
[2] WARDEN picks out a short one with his electroadhesive grabbing arm.
[1] Hal gets a pretty short straw picked out for him.
[4] Ziggo gets one slightly big for his size.
[1] Nidoma draws a short one.
[1] Nerin reaches for the bundle, but Valrak intervenes and draws a really short one.
[3] Deuce fares much better than Hal, with a moderately long straw
[5] McMarlo is victorious.

Hal, Nerin/Valrak, and Nidoma all get straws that are ambiguously short. They get rid of them and draw new ones.
[5] Hal gets a much longer one drawn for him while he's away.
[2] Nidoma gets another short one. Oh agony.
[5] Nerin grabs one himself, getting one that's identical in length to Hal's.

[Hal: 1, N/V: 2] In the end, Jaina decides that Nerin and Valrak are too useful together, and decides to leave Hal out of this one for now. After all, he seemed tad too... aggressive for an infiltration mission. He'll get his chance.
Nidoma, not only late to the bar, also won't be participating in this one. Disappointed!

Mechanics:
Before we go on, I'll post a character sheet for each of you.
Every character starts off with two traits assigned based on their specialties. After completing a mission without dying, a character gains a level, in which that character can go on to pick a trait based on what they've learned.
Every time a mission begins, the lowest-level characters are picked first, then higher-level characters from people who want to join the next mission are randomly used to fill in.

Spoiler: HEN (WARDEN) - Level 0 (click to show/hide)

Loadouts:

Each person can specify what he/s wants to bring on Arial's ship. Remember, you'll have to pass through security, so heavy weapons will be outright rejected (but you can still bring them). Likewise, armor and such won't work unless you can convince security that uit's necessary. Otherwise you'll be suspicious, and possibly get the whole team discovered.

The Guild can easily supply you with the following. Anything outside of common sense will have to be specifically asked for:
-Weapons ([retty much any common sci-fi tech. No pocket BFG's, but that's about it.)
-Armor (ranging from discrete stuff to hide under clothing, to full out combat gear printed to match your shape)
-Computers (tablets and phones can't hack, laptop-sized computers can but you have to get it through security. If they see a hacking program on it you are probably done.)
-Tracking tools (bugs, tracking devices, chemical agents, cameras, radars)
-Sabotage tools (tiny explosives, chemicals, other stuff)
-Toolkits (soldering tools and small drills will get past security. Thermal lances won't)
-Crafting components (batteries, capacitors, tachyon emitters, whatever you can think of that's not contraband)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 21, 2014, 01:11:09 am »

Atlos surveys the new arrivals, most of whom he'll be working with soon. Mostly humanoids, as went the English classification, a couple actual humans. "Well, gentlemen, I look forward to working with you."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 21, 2014, 01:36:03 am »

Nerin/Valrak loadout:

Both will bring phones, wireless earbuds preferable that actually work with their ears.

Nerin will bring a computer, loaded with a large number of games and sims. He can always put hacking programs onto it later from one of his implants. Adapters both wireless and wired for plugging the compy into various things. Also charger and headphones. Can't forget the charger.

Valrak will bring a low powered electrolaser, suited for stunning/nonlethal combat but not much else. The kind of thing someone who works as a security guard or contractor uses when dealing with civilians. Perfectly legal and more or less harmless so long as the person's heart isn't fully robotic.

Otherwise general KX9 Civcore styled clothing to their personal taste. Hoodies with holes. Comfy sweatpants with tailholes, socks, (Nerin's are noticeably longer in length and considerably more colorful then Valrak's should someone care to look), and due to being in humanspace the least uncomfortable shoes cause humans don't know how to keep the ground clean, although on most Denworlds, shoes aren't the norm. Generally interferes with the multitude of bioaugs that KX9 often have in their feet and legs. Second set of clothing, Nerin wil also be bringing his datapad, temporarily backed up on a Denworld just in case, a drawing pad and pencils, and several sandwiches for the flight. Both will be bringing backpacks. ((Civcore is basically general civilian KX9 who aren't interested in the other branches. General styles are comfy clothing and comfy clothing. If it's comfy they'll wear it, although hoodies are rather common.))

I am soooo bringing sandwiches for the flight.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 21, 2014, 01:52:18 am »

(Oh, almost forgot)

Atlos Loadout:

Atlos will attach whatever weapons systems to his travel unit that could be justified under "self-defense" in this situation. Most likely nothing lethal or very powerful, but it's good to have options. Should he become involved in combat, he will probably be entirely reliant on this vehicle. He will also outfit it with more civilian tools to both aid his cover story and help with sabotage, if need be.

Atlos will also carry a number of small, waterproof devices for use outside the travel unit (while snaking the plumbing or on spacewalk). Will hide things in his digestive tract and the machinery of his vehicle, if need be.

In case he needs to spacewalk, (or gets a cover role requiring it), Atlos will also bring his pressure suit.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 21, 2014, 02:14:54 am »

Atlos will also carry a number of small, waterproof devices for use outside the travel unit (while snaking the plumbing or on spacewalk). Will hide things in his digestive tract and the machinery of his vehicle, if need be.
Which devices?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 21, 2014, 03:54:26 am »

((Damn and it's the mission where I'd do best too.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 21, 2014, 03:59:15 am »

((Damn and it's the mission where I'd do best too.))

):
It's the dice. They don't know better.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 21, 2014, 04:46:57 am »

((You best discipline them then. Are you going to do a thing like Einsteinian Roulette and have people 'back at base' doing stuff too, or just leave them in limbo?))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 21, 2014, 08:44:34 am »

((Pondering loading, but will get a mini-turn out in the meantime))

Deuce sighed and shook his head.  "Really, man?  I ought to make you stay and fix it yourself, but fine.  Keep holding it."

Go check the cabinets for the local caulk equivalent.  Fix it up while Hal holds it down.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 21, 2014, 11:25:42 am »

Which devices?
Um... good question.

Small cutting tools and small explosives, I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 49