Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 71007 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - Zero Sum
« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2014, 06:20:14 pm »

No, nerds are just a human subculture. Half of them aren't even particularly smart. They just play a lot of simgames. A KX9 Adminform is literally a mind built for administration. Several Adminform Genelines enjoy paperwork and all the bureaucratic fuckery.
"Seems like it would be simpler to rely on AI, or naturally occurring mindsets. Or a monastic order."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 18, 2014, 06:26:13 pm »

Adminforms technically do naturally have an affinity for paperwork and math. Some of them flat out get giddy with the mention of a stack of paperwork. Personally I find it a bit odd.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 19, 2014, 12:21:01 am »

"Bureaucrats seem to come in the same several flavors all over the universe, I find... now, we really should get looking for that pilot, eh? Divide and Conquer, I believe the expression goes."

Atlos heads off down the hall, towards a part of the settlement where the others aren't looking yet.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Roll 8- Intermission
« Reply #273 on: November 19, 2014, 12:42:54 am »

((So I think I should post random snippets of info as we go on, rather than just writing them up on the spot. This way players can figure out how to keep their backgrounds in check.))

This handy chart, made by mercenary captain Winchell Chung for use in command schools across the stars, uses sections of a triangle in order to divide ship classes based on mass distribution.

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

Run after him!
Search the place for his trails, try to figure out where is he.
Keep up the chase!

Hal: [4] You step out on the platform, almost slipping on the wet surface. A heated mesh beneath the catwalk keeps snow from accumulating, but the water tends to freeze on its own and create a layer of slush. Fortunately, this also means that a person's feet will depress the slush in an area and leave temporary footprints.

You safely conclude that Orion has not left his elevator yet. Deuce suspiciously hovers close to the other gate.

Deuce: [3] vs (3) You find Orion hiding in one of the corners of the elevator! You lunge at him, struggling a little bit, but you are unable to pin him anywhere. He wriggles free with the assistance of the frost, and rushes out.

Hal again: [2] vs (6) As Orion flees, you take off after him, but you feel your limbs move the other way. Against your will, you somehow shamble into the elevator, pushing Deuce over inside the cabin. You look back at Orion and see him standing there in his suit facing you, his face masked by the reflective visor coating. As you are forced to walk inside, your hand presses the button to go back up.

[1] The door shuts almost immediately and the elevator starts moving back into the installation. There doesn't seem to be a way to cancel it save for an override switch protected by key. It takes five minutes for a trip up and three to go down.

Port Newton Bar
Medium Chatter (+1 to deception, -1 to intellect)

"Finding our insertion pilot, I think. Say, does it strike you as odd to discuss subterfuge in front of the bartender and all these patrons?"
"Nah, SpaceInc is well-known for what they do. Everyone hates them, that's why we even accepted the contract. Milanese princes are equally bad. Rich bastards never swapped a cavity resonator themselves..."

Adminforms technically do naturally have an affinity for paperwork and math. Some of them flat out get giddy with the mention of a stack of paperwork. Personally I find it a bit odd.
"You know what? I do too."

The stranger from the hall awaits a response, but with no decent sign of getting one she simply walks into the conversation.
"EXCUSE ME..." she yells in Jaina's face. Then, noticing the insignia on her shoulder pad, she recognizes who she is talking to.
"By the Light! I am sorry. I got a little upset there. You're part of the Guild, right?"
"For the most part yes. This gentleman in the fishtank isn't, but he will be joining us on our latest endeavor. Say... you're Arial Wallace, or am I mistaken?"
"I am."
"Perfect, we were just about to go find you! I presume you know us because of what happened in orbit, right?"
Arial pauses for a moment.
"No, I do not. I know you because of what you did on my homeworld in the Corvo Crisis."
She removes her helmet, revealing the 'smooth green hair' Jaina spoke of earlier.

Jaina scratches her chin.
"Ah, that was half a century ago. Your people have made great progress since then."
"Indeed they have. So wait... what happened in orbit?"

Jaina explains to her that her ship was hijacked by pirates. The Guild, noticing abnormal behavior, sent frigates to pursue and returned the ship to its crew, taking the pirates aboard a Habitat Ship for questioning.

"That's... quite the story. I suppose I believe you, but I'll need to talk to my crew. Why are you looking for me?"
"We want to send infiltrators aboard your ship. You are heading to the Ulysses Colony, correct? They'll enter the station as passengers, distance themselves from you and your crew, then break through security and disable the orbital defenses. We'll raid the megacity afterwards."

The merchant captain appears undecided. On one hand, she shares the same anti-SpaceInc attitude that's prevalent among locals. On the other hand, it's definitely a risky mission.
"I'm not convinced. Is your team really capable of this?"
"We have some of the best infiltrators in the sector. They will be here shortly~"

((Here we go! For the first mission, I'll let the players decide whether or not they are suited to an infiltration role. Remember, there is definitely a chance that combat will break out. However, if we have more than six (maybe 7) players, it makes the most sense to take the best-suited players.

I'll do a writeup on the equipment you are allowed to bring later.))

Spoiler: Corvo (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Corvans (click to show/hide)

Dwarf's Office
In Utter Darkness (+2 to deception, -2 to observation, -1 to offensive combat actions)

"No, no, please take your time. The Guild is paying me by the hour anyway!*"

McMarlo: The dwarf returns to his work. After some time, he raises a single brow.
"Hm, this one looks--"
(1/6) The Dwarf turns toward you as he says this, clipping the edge of the pile with his elbow. The stack of papers collapses on top of you and pushes the various crates and boxes on the floor aside like a flash flood.

Ziggo: [2] While examining the loot, you hear the noise generated by the falling stack of papers. The flood of papers pushes forward the crate you're hiding behind, sandwiching you uncomfortably between the room and crate's corners.

"Well damn. Anyway, the woman you are looking for landed here two hours ago. She didn't leave."

Nidoma: You notice that one of the crates in the room, though pushed back by the paper flood, hasn't slid all the way up against the wall. Perhaps something fell off the Dwarf's desk and rolled behind it, blocking the way.

Jaila calls out to the rest of the Guildmates.

'Everyone, this is Jaina speaking. We found our PoI. Return to the bar so we can count heads, unless you're doing something important. Deuce and Hal, have you caught that runner yet?'
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 04:01:43 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - Galactic Goose Chase
« Reply #274 on: November 19, 2014, 12:57:15 am »

She could have mentioned the pilot was another kind of alien, Atlos thought to himself. "Pleased to make your acquaintance. Corvo, eh? Home of the shining rings?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 19, 2014, 02:35:52 am »

She could have mentioned the pilot was another kind of alien, Atlos thought to himself. "Pleased to make your acquaintance. Corvo, eh? Home of the shining rings?"

"It's great to meet a soul that isn't human! Not that I have anything against humans or their offshoots, it's just that it is easy to forget we are all in this together. And yes, those gorgeous rings are there because of the Guild. They saved our ecosystem... our entire world, perhaps. Really they're just the vaporized remains of the asteroids that fell fifty years ago, but they've taken on a bit of a symbolic meaning to us."

You just notice the wooden 'Y' hanging from her neck on the outside of her suit. The wood itself has been bleached by solar radiation and dried out by the vacuum, but still retains a faint splash of mahogany on one of the limbs.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 19, 2014, 03:52:04 am »

"Ah shit. Better hide."

Crawl up to the ceiling and stay there for a while. Be careful not to hit the lights or fans. When I get the chance head back to the bar for the headcount.

Edited.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 05:31:13 am by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 19, 2014, 04:45:13 am »

Head back to the bar. Hope that we get to blow something up soon.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 19, 2014, 04:45:56 am »

Valrak and I are capable. Probably going to apply for Station Security. Combat and Logiforms tend to be sought out for those kinds of positions. If Security doesn't work for one or both of us, engineering is the next option.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 19, 2014, 08:46:57 am »

Deuce shrugged.  "Yeah, I didn't feel much like chasing him either.  Cold as balls out there, and if you chase him down it's not really a barfight.  Loses the fun."

He looked up as his radio squawked.

'Nah, he got away.  We're coming back up now.'

Group up!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 19, 2014, 09:11:27 am »

"...Just another day in the guild...

Let's away gents, to the fish market. That's our only other lead."
McMarlo squawked.

Action: Excavate myself from the documentaries, then to the fish market!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 19, 2014, 09:35:25 am »

"Come on. Let's at least check whether is he around."
If I am still in the elevator going up, try to open the hatch on top of the elevator if there is one, then climb down the emergency ladder that probably still is in the shaft.
If not, then get out and search for his things yet again.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 09:38:18 am by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 19, 2014, 09:37:03 am »

"The hell are you doing?  Why'd you come up the elevator just to go back down?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 19, 2014, 11:30:59 am »

"I'm a cultural researcher, but that does entail infiltration by nature. I'm qualified to do engineering, research, sales, and certain other civilian jobs which should allow for the initial integration. Once inside, I may be able to access inner systems through the plumbing, or collect intelligence from their personnel."

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 19, 2014, 12:21:20 pm »

"Don't think about it. Just make love."
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 49