Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 70937 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - What's cookin?
« Reply #180 on: November 13, 2014, 07:26:33 pm »

"Subterfuge, eh? Interesting. I have some stories I could... actually, no, they're confidential. But color me interested." Atlos hoped he was using that idiom right.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 13, 2014, 09:05:06 pm »

Nidoma gestures for the other guy to go first. Gotta be polite.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2014, 02:47:12 am »

Roll 5
Intermission

Port Newton Bar, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Port Newton Bar
Medium Chatter (+1 to deception, -1 to intellect)

Deuce turns back to the barman.  "Now I'm hungry.  What you got for grub?"

Turning your attention away from the ongoing fight, you examine the menu. It contains primarily seafood of all qualities and flavors. Some of the local favorites include a large aquatic centipede impaled as a sort of singular kebab, a small fish that resembles an orca whale but much smaller and much less intelligent, and Mantis Shrimp.

Alternatively, there's flavored ice saturated with nutrients. That's about it.

"Subterfuge, eh? Interesting. I have some stories I could... actually, no, they're confidential. But color me interested." Atlos hoped he was using that idiom right.

"Excellent..." she says with a grin.
"First order of business is to find said merchant captain. That's why we're here.

Her crew couldn't contact her because of the signal strength. In fact, we couldn't get landing permissions until about five klicks in. Quite a storm they're got up there."
she points her thumb toward the ceiling, referring to the endless blizzard on the Ridge's edge.

She finishes just as some poor sap being pinned down gets jumped by another large, bulky human.

Headbutt him twice, then try to rip the switch off his head, hopefully alongside his brain.
Nerin looks around for something to pick up the molten tachyon crystal up with without melting his hand.

Valrak proceeds with stated actions.

Nerin: [5] The tachyon crystal only emits trace amounts of gamma rays, and if you get any form of cancer in your hand you can always stop by at one of the Guild's geneshops.

You surmise that the only reason the chicken melted is because the high magnetic flux caused the metal to vibrate and give off heat. Your suit, being made of a steel-polymer composite, is an unlikely candidate for use, as are any augmented limbs. However, picking up Hal's empty glass off the counter and removing your gauntlet, you simply scoop up the bead inside the glass container, holding it by the rim to keep your augmented appendages away.

((Does Nerin have augments in his hands or just his forearms?))

Initiative Rolls:

[4-2]: Orion
[1]: Hal
[1]: Valrak

((The dice hates you guys

Also, slight modification to combat mechanics. Previously, if a character rolls the highest dice in the initiative rolls, he cannot have offensive actions taken against him. Now, you simply get a penalty equal to the target's initiative die.))

Hal: Orion squirms out of your grip. Faced with losing your advantageous position, you swing your head at him.
[2-1/4+1] vs (5) As it turns out, a mutual trade of head blows isn't the best solution if your target has mechanical augments in theirs. You suffer sharp pain in your cranium as your skull bounces off with a metallic crash, compounding your bleeding scalp even more. You're going to need a first aid kit, although it won't leave lasting damage if treated properly.

Orion flips you off, showing remarkable strength for a young man of his size.

Valrak: [5-2] vs (3) Orion gets up and starts running away. You snatch at his jacket with the artificial claws on your suit's fingers, but he sheds the jacket and starts running toward Nerin to retrieve the bead.

Sneak into the room where two of his guild mates are going. Once the guy find that he's stolen all his stuff, they're probably going to blame the rat. It's always the rat.

[4] You are now located in the same room as McMarlo and Nidoma. A short, stout broker owns the office, currently residing in a small desk hardly at a human's knee level. While you open the door silently and slink inside, the dwarf seems to miss you, looking up at the tall human instead.

The room is quite dark, even darker than the rest of the building. While the bar's dimness has partly to do with the dark blue paint and floor material, this room simly doesn't have lighting. The only light comes from the dwarf's computer, illuminating his face from below. The desk is situated in one far corner in the room, while the far corner adjacent to it houses a stack of papers inside binders. The door is in the 3rd corner, while the fourth contains a crate with an open top. Inside the crate are various office toys and novelties, including a small USB-controlled laser, a magnetically levitating disco ball, and a small fist-sized android labelled 'Bob,' currently inactive.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:49:47 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - Shady dealings
« Reply #183 on: November 14, 2014, 03:08:26 am »

"Ah, yes. I may be able to help you there. Do you have a description?"

Atlos thinks of who else he's seen since his arrival.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 14, 2014, 03:13:45 am »

((The majority of KX9 augs are bioaugs, which are purely organic. As a 49b, The hacking suite, datanet uplink, various interface mods, the groupmind uplink, and about 63% percent of the sensor suite are mechanical, most locate in torso or skull. Bioaugs include vastly strengthened muscles, (weak as shit compared to Valrak's 51 bioaugs.) a strengthened skeletal structure, several specialized organs dealing with regeneration, coordination of regeneration, a dedicated immune system organ, and a dedicated antitoxin organ. Limb based are retractable claws on hands and feet with feet getting a spur a bit behind the arch., retractable shinspurs, retractable forarmspurs, and retractable thighspurs. Originally intended for climbing when they were made but more then usable in combat.))

Valrak relays to Nerin before literally lunging across the room at Orion, should it connect, Orion will likely be dealing with a multitude of broken bones and a rather annoyed Combatform KX9.

Nerin places the bead on a nearby table and unsheaths his claws, removing his second gauntlet beforehand. Should Valrak's lunge fail, Nerin plans to dart towards Orion, making a rapid kneeshattering kick to his right knee before flipping Orion up over him using Orion's momentum and slam him down on the ground, following up with a light kick to his windpipe to knock Orion out.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2014, 08:46:39 am »

Deuce grins.  "NOW we're talking!  Have me some shrimp and whatever cocktail sauce you've got getting ready!"

With that, he turns and lunges toward the fight.

Order snack then charge in!  Let's aim to put Orion in a headlock, ideally on the ground.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 14, 2014, 09:25:28 am »

"Trade? I'm technically 85% Guild property anyway! I only own the indigestible bits...

Anyway, we're looking for a human woman with smooth green hair, a ship captain-Guild business, don't ask questions. Might you know where she is, good sir or madam?"

Action: Ask!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 14, 2014, 01:16:19 pm »

Get up and lob a chair at that cowardous git, Orion!
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 14, 2014, 02:22:29 pm »

Valrak relays to Nerin before literally lunging across the room at Orion, should it connect, Orion will likely be dealing with a multitude of broken bones and a rather annoyed Combatform KX9.

Nerin places the bead on a nearby table and unsheaths his claws, removing his second gauntlet beforehand. Should Valrak's lunge fail, Nerin plans to dart towards Orion, making a rapid kneeshattering kick to his right knee before flipping Orion up over him using Orion's momentum and slam him down on the ground, following up with a light kick to his windpipe to knock Orion out.

((Note that since you're a single player, I'll probably have to do a single roll for both characters. Otherwise it would be unfair that you get two chances at it.

It makes sense since you're synchronized, but I'm just saying this before the actual roll.))

"Ah, yes. I may be able to help you there. Do you have a description?"

Atlos thinks of who else he's seen since his arrival.

"Green hair, they said something about it being artificial... I'm not quite sure what they meant by that exactly. Her trader's union has a white univorm with a purple triangle covering the top half. Looks like something out of a cheesy space opera.

Her name is Arial Wallace. There are two main markets on this port, one just to the side of the bar, and one all the way down at sea level. I recall one of my associates having gone to look for her, but I don't know where she went."

"Trade? I'm technically 85% Guild property anyway! I only own the indigestible bits...

Anyway, we're looking for a human woman with smooth green hair, a ship captain-Guild business, don't ask questions. Might you know where she is, good sir or madam?"

Action: Ask!

The dwarf whispers while scratching his chin.
"I don't know what your guild is, and I never saw anyone from it. I did recently acquire a shipment of Ron Picard's Frozen Flames, though. You might have seen them in the bar. Manager was willing to give double what I paid!"

He looks at his computer.

"I don't have anyone named 'Arial' outside of my font bar. I'll have to look through the records."

He waddles over to the giant bundle of stacked papers at his side and flips on a monocle with an attached light, then removes a few pages from the top and starts reading.

There are probably thousands of papers in that stack.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:24:56 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 14, 2014, 04:39:12 pm »

Hmm, Maximilian de Cartara. Several Wolfram inc. employees spoke of him before. I should find out more about him. With this new information, WARDEN decided head back to the main lobby..

Go back to the main lobby and search the Data-Net for information about Maximilian.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26:18 pm »

Hmm, Maximilian de Cartara. Several Wolfram inc. employees spoke of him before. I should find out more about him. With this new information, WARDEN decided head back to the main lobby..

Go back to the main lobby and search the Data-Net for information about Maximilian.

((If you didn't pay attention to the little conversation I had with Kevak, this outpost is so remote it doesn't have a working datanet connection. You will need to relay the transmissions to a datanet-connected wireless device.))

The datanet connection on Askarian is mostly maintained by upper-atmospheric drones flying in a loop over the west and south portions of the Ridge. Port Newton is just hardly out of LoS for the loop. If you want to connect to the drones, you will have to either go out to sea, go really high up, or send a device to relay communications between you and the drone to one of those positions. The snowstorm at this altitude is so severe you probably want to go down to sea level where there isn't as much snow.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 14, 2014, 06:44:17 pm »

((Ah. Did not see that.))

Upon reaching the lobby, he observes a frantic bar fight occurring, and at the same time the shuttle pilot conversing with some sort of aquatic creature.

He contemplates blasting the unknown man (Orion) with his laser, but decides against it. It would ruin the 'fun' of it, as humans say He opts instead to go to the pilot.

"Greetings pilot." WARDEN turns to the aquatic creature, "And who might you be?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 14, 2014, 06:56:20 pm »

"Atlos, at your service. So, my mechanical fellow, you're with the Guild, I take it?"

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 14, 2014, 08:20:04 pm »

"Yes, I am presently working with the Guild. What brings you to this remote outpost?"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 14, 2014, 10:04:40 pm »

"Exploration, looking for work. Thought I'd try the ocean here, since it's been a while since I've seen natural water on a planet."
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 49