Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 70875 times)

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - A bunch of astronauts walk into a bar
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2014, 06:40:11 pm »

Upon the relay of the clicking noise from Nerin, Valrak unfolds his helmet and switches his right eye to multispectrum, turning to stare at the man. More educated patrons would have by this point recognized Nerin, and the appearence of another KX9 of a considerably larger form would prompt several to shift to seats several feet to the side of the likely path of a charge from Valrak towards the man.

Nerin begins interfacing with all available wireless devices. Scanning for abnormalities in the system and asserting administrative control over unguarded ones. Attempting to subvert locked ones.

Lets see what he did.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2014, 06:57:57 pm »

"The 'waste' is converted into steam." WARDEN replied, "Useful for distractions and retreats."

Upon hearing the click, he backs up from the counter, eyeing the young man suspiciously. That sound... might be for explosives, maybe a signal for an ambush.

Check the bar of explosives or turret mounts.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 08:24:43 pm by HighEndNoob »
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2014, 07:25:12 pm »

If I get a glass, drink it dry and smash it on the face of the git in front of me. If he stays on his legs, follow up with a gut punch and a knee to his groin, if he falls down, stomp on his kneecaps and hands.

((The NPC is already down, back in his chair.

Unless of course you are hitting someone else))
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2014, 07:29:52 pm »

If I get a glass, drink it dry and smash it on the face of the git in front of me. If he stays on his legs, follow up with a gut punch and a knee to his groin, if he falls down, stomp on his kneecaps and hands.

By down I mean on the ground, clutching his face. And that NPC is my only target.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2014, 10:05:36 pm »

Okay, so first off, I somewhat intended the cards to represent the color of each character's speech. So if you can start using either the color you've used so far or the color of the your character's card, please do so.

Second off, it seems that only six people replied so far. While this won't guarantee you guys will all be part of the first mission, you'll get bonus points for getting things started.

By down I mean on the ground, clutching his face. And that NPC is my only target.

Roger, commencing attempted beatdown.

The bartender turns to his stack of kegs, with each type of drink marked by a colored band just under the rim. As he sets each drink on the table for its owner to claim, he pulls out a lighter and... sets each drink on fire. The flames are the same color as the card you picked, and as they continue burning the cups actually start to frost over.

"Grab it while it's hot"

As you get your drink, you move your hand over the black flame and feel warmth. Bringing it closer, the flame itself is only mildly warm, but the ice it's coming from is still cold. In fact, it's not melting like you expect. Blowing out the burning ice, you chug the drink. It's almost tasteless, but with a hint of bitter artificial flavors and preservatives. Fully artificial.

After recovering, you start walking toward that git in the corner with the empty glass in hand. The guy looks up, but doesn't say anything. As you move to the edge of the bench, he backs closer to the wall but doesn't grab anything to defend himself with.

His loss.

[1/2] vs (6/6) However, something most peculiar happens as you swing down the cup. Instead of planting it firmly into the bugger's slimy face, your arm swings the glass down on the table. The glass, the table, and your hand all shatter into hundreds of pieces, but miraculously all of them stay together--for now.

Drinking hand broken!

Upon the relay of the clicking noise from Nerin, Valrak unfolds his helmet and switches his right eye to multispectrum, turning to stare at the man. More educated patrons would have by this point recognized Nerin, and the appearence of another KX9 of a considerably larger form would prompt several to shift to seats several feet to the side of the likely path of a charge from Valrak towards the man.

Nerin begins interfacing with all available wireless devices. Scanning for abnormalities in the system and asserting administrative control over unguarded ones. Attempting to subvert locked ones.

Lets see what he did.

Valrak: ((EDITED!))
[4] Your staring goes unnoticed!

Your multispectrum scan comprehensively searches the chamber for any signs of high-energy pocket electronics (an energy weapon, perhaps?) or explosives. You find neither, with the only traces of radiation coming from the direction of the system's sun. Strong infra-red comes from some of the bags belonging to others in the bar, namely the merchants, but not from the young man's own bag, which is hidden against the wall. Not the flaming drinks, curiously enough.

The suspect's head seems to be emitting more brain waves than usual, although you are not sure if this is due to his social reaction or due to some other nefarious purpose.

Nerin: Public wi-fi is generally pretty unsecure. However, at this point in time most encryption algorithms are a little too complicated for a portable device to crack, especially one powered biologically. You can of course overclock your internal computer to try and brute-force it, but it would be unwise to do so on an empty stomach.

However, thanks to the neural link, you are able to visualize the transfer of data across the room as little strings of encrypted bits floating into and out of people's pockets. The packets primarily converge on one spot in the center of the ceiling, just above the bartender. If you can break into the router, you can attach an ad-hoc virus to outgoing packets, giving you control over devices and perhaps unsecured augments.

The man in the corner has a smartphone in his pocket like any normal person. You don't detect a signal from anything else in his vicinity, not a wi-fi signal at least.

((Observation rolls are hidden to players))

((GM Note: Magic Hacking

Hacking in this RtD will be a little more involved than 'look at a device and subvert it through technobabble nonsense.' Of course, it won't be much like real hacking either, but for the sake of gameplay you won't be able to give orders to devices without forcing them to execute your orders.

First off, you can't connect to a device if it isn't actively receiving wireless information. Also, be prepared for hostile AI's and memetic defenses if you try to crack some higher level hardware.

Here are some examples of how you can compromise a device and essentially 'hack' it.

1) Tricking the device into believing your orders are sent with the proper privileges. This requires the device to be receiving sensitive orders from a source, and you generally have to compromise that source or jam it and replace its orders with your own spoofed data.
2) Infecting the device with a virus that manages to get admin control. Even without admin privileges, a virus can receive orders from you, allowing you to exploit backdoors into the device's security.
3) Finding the password to log on remotely.
4) Compromising the device itself by disabling security. You can do this either by overwhelming it or attacking it during a period of vulnerability.

This isn't a comprehensive list, but just keep in mind that you don't just hack things with the press of a button. That sort of thing isn't very interesting.))

Check the bar of explosives or turret mounts.

First order of business is to process the drink. You retrieve the green-tinted cup and pour it into a receptacle just behind your sensor cluster, flaming ice and all. You process various bits of info, identifying the smell as 'lemon-lime' and the taste as slightly sour. The flammable ice is also of interest to you, so you remove it from the mixture and store it in an anoxic compartment.

[6/2] After the receptacle cover slides back into place (blending in seamlessly with your thoracic segment), you begin scanning the environment, looking for potential objects of interest. The young man does have a backpack, although it's propped up against the wall and nearly out of sight. Others in the room have backpacks either slung over their shoulders or left on the ground. The ceiling is mostly open with heating pipes and electrical lines dangling everywhere on thin cables. A quick shot from your laser should knock down a light or two.

Your stillness while operating has attracted the attention of the bartender.
"Taking your time there buddy?"

Action: Enter like the boss, wow the onlookers.

[4] In one fell swoop, glass in hand, you catch the attention of every human in the room. The human females gasp in awe, while the males scowl in envy. Nobody moves, as all are too fixated upon the glorious shades, your exquisitely shaped beak, and your slick black feathers. In the meantime, Ziggo slinks between benches and underneath tables, closer toward his target.

...at least until Hal smashes his glass on the table, breaking both and casting a grave slight on your majesty. Doesn't he realize that we are representatives? You should say something!

If the raven man consents to making a distraction, steal something from the prejudicial man, hopefully something valuable.

[5+1/2] As you inch ever closer, you identify your target: the young man has a bag wedged firmly between his leg and the wall. As Hal approaches, you get into position right behind the name-caller so you can use the beatdown as cover. You peek your head over the bench, and while you are perfectly visible to the rest of the bar, your target isn't aware.

However, Hal smashes his glass on the table instead, which shatters the hard polymer surface. You think you heard some cracking as well, from neither the glass nor the table. The other guy, however, backs up closer to the wall. He does not reach into his backpack at the moment.

Deuce poked his way in the door, turning sideways a bit to ensure his large frame made it in.  Bars were practically home to him now; he loved a drink and he loved to rumble.  This was a bit business to just start a fight, but there were drinks to be had here!

"Red for me!  Fire and blood, must be a strong color, aye?"

"Yeah, uh, speaking of fire... here you go!"

[5] After handing over the tip, you grab the drink and try to extinguish the flame. You're not sure if this is a joke, but the drink is already pretty warm.

"You might wanna have that re-lit, son."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:21:11 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2014, 10:19:48 pm »

((Valrak was scanning the person in multispectrum. Not staring. He also wouldn't be likely to get angry from that. Since, you know. He's scanning.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2014, 10:30:27 pm »

Deuce guffawed.  The fun was starting already!

"Yeah, hit me up.  Always proper to drink the way the locals serve it, aye?  Better do it quick so I can join the party!"

Get drink relit, chug it down.  Size up competition.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2014, 11:04:53 pm »

((*awaits the results of scanning*))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2014, 11:14:25 pm »

((*awaits the results of scanning*))

((Done. Apologies, I was updating my other game.))

Deuce guffawed.  The fun was starting already!

"Yeah, hit me up.  Always proper to drink the way the locals serve it, aye?  Better do it quick so I can join the party!"

Get drink relit, chug it down.  Size up competition.

Despite the drink being set aflame once more, you notice something distinctly weird when you bring the flaming drink to your lips. The red glow of the fire seems mainly aesthetic. It does not burn your face although it does feel warm when it contacts your skin. The drink itself is actually colder than before.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2014, 11:41:37 pm »

The burning ice fascinated WARDEN. The ice burns to cool the rest of the drink, but the drink itself does not burst into flames. Humans have a penchant for needless risks, so that explains the motive, but how does it work?

"The burning ice intrigues me. What is it?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 10, 2014, 11:49:29 pm »

((Thanksh~))

Valrak begins relaying the brainwave pattern to Nerin, who actually has the required combination of implants and empathy to partly understand what's going though the guy's head if he's lucky. Nerin, mind looking at this? Also, random fact, the fire isn't hot. Both amusement and curiosity underlay the thought.

Sure. concentration and mild curiosity. Nerin continues to monitor for abnormalities in the electronics and grabbing what unsecured data he can. Putting that to the side and automating it, he begins sifting through the heavily mangled pattern relay. Could have gotten a lil closer you know, then I would actually have something less garbled to work with. Mental tisking and shrugging

"It appears to not register on an infrared scan. So it isn't normal fire."
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:51:42 pm by Kevak »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 10, 2014, 11:54:55 pm »

The bartender replies, with a cringeworthy faux accent.

"It is an exotic mixture of salts that react endothermically with each other once ignited."

((Thanksh~))

Valrak begins relaying the brainwave pattern to Nerin, who actually has the required combination of implants and empathy to partly understand what's going though the guy's head if he's lucky. Nerin, mind looking at this? Also, random fact, the fire isn't hot. Both amusement and curiosity underlay the thought.

Sure. concentration and mild curiosity. Nerin continues to monitor for abnormalities in the electronics and grabbing what unsecured data he can. Putting that to the side and automating it, he begins sifting through the heavily mangled pattern relay. Could have gotten a lil closer you know, then I would actually have something less garbled to work with. Mental tisking and shrugging

"It appears to not register on an infrared scan. So it isn't normal fire."

Continuing the faux accent, the bartender continues.

"Indeed! That which you see is actually a plume of ionized particles produced by the reaction!"

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2014, 12:20:30 am »

"Ionization implies energy." "Energy implies heat." "Where's the heat go?"

((That last bit is Nerin and Valrak speaking in unison.))

((Edits, fiddling with color.))
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:24:39 am by Kevak »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2014, 12:34:15 am »

He begins with the accent, "It is in fact a..."
Fortunately, he stops right here and returns to speaking like a normal human being. Not before laughing like a child, though.
"I dunno. I guess it just sucks the heat out of the drink and sends it off? The light's not going back into the drink."

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2014, 12:37:53 am »

"Heat is not light."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 49