Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 71123 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2015, 06:11:39 pm »

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

"You have a mortar? Awesome, but use it!"

You hear a shudder through the plane's already-damaged hull. The mortar seems to have fired. You look through a window, wheezing in the low atmosphere.

[3] The boat is now missing its entire front half. Tilted slightly, it is falling into the water as fast as the low gravity pulls it in. You spot a little motion in the windows, suggesting that the lifeboats might be out soon. You may have a little explaining to do if the fisherman confronts you afterwards, but hopefully that assassin is dead.

[3] The plane veers to a rough landing over the water. The engineer used his suit lights to signal his position when he found that he wasn't being abandoned, so the plane is able to touch down fairly close. The engineer slowly swims toward the plane, while pilot flushes oxygen through the engines several times to dry out the engines.

You look back at the sinking ship through the windows as the engineer nears the plane. There is a lifeboat heading toward your plane, with three people aboard, one lying down on the floor of the dinghy. You wonder if you should let them approach, or tell the pilot to get the hell out of here. You could, if you're too suspicious, just shoot the boaters with one of the guns from the plane's storage closet.

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 to first impressions)

"Beep boop, I am nothing more than a cleaning bot, doing my business. Nothing to see here~"

Float over to the two humans standing in the corner.

"Greetings, my name is Slvia the 4th! I could not help but over here your conversation, which has filled me with wonder. Might I hear more about this strange signal? I could help you, we Zumbar have had contact with less than friendly, highly advanced race in the past and my race has been wondering the stars ever since. Maybe another of my race has stumbled upon this before and stored info on them in our Central Memory Bank."

"You have experience with hostile nations? Historians keep telling us the Zumbar archives are unreliable, but I have a bit of a soft spot for you guys. I've been to your system before on a trip once, analyzing the fragments of your former homeworld for clues as to what caused it. We found a lot of transmuted atoms inside S-class fragments, which suggests heavy use of high-energy weapons along a certain period. My colleagues hypothesized that the Zumbar fought each other a lot, but there's no historical case for that."
"You know these people?"
"Of course. They're commonly used as an example of an unreliable class I source in xenohistory courses. I think it's a load of political BS to keep from acknowledging that there are serious dangers out there we might not know about."
"I see you are convinced that there are high-tech aliens out there."
"Well, yeah. We've only analyzed a miniscule fraction of the stars in the galaxy. There is no way we can be sure there's nothing out there lurking for us."
"All the other scientists say they'd be easy to detect if they exist."
"But think about it, a race that old with that level of experience is probably going to be aware of that. Who knows, maybe we don't see them because they've found a way to colonize the rift plane or something."
"Rift plane?"
"Ugh, theoretical stuff. If you don't have a doctorate in hyperspace physics, you won't understand a word of what I'd tell you."

The man remembers that you asked him a question.

"Oh, you want to know more about the signal? Well we've detected molecular excitations in the interstellar medium, all of which are characteristic of antimatter reactions. While our civilizations use antimatter to catalyze fusion for propulsion, the magnitude of these signals indicates that a ship--a very large one, in fact--was using a drive that ran on primarily matter-antimatter reactions. That, or maybe some kind of antimatter star plowed through the galaxy. Physicists aren't sure what to make of it. I propose we use a mobile hypergate to travel to the projected destination of the vessel, and see if there's anything left for us. Of course, I don't have the funds to make that happen, but I'm hoping that SpaceInc would be willing to fund it, while we're here."

Yeah, time to go. Bail out and head back to base.

[6/5] You enter the airlock and start letting out air. With a broken lock, however, the door flies open and causes the extremely dense atmosphere to rush out of the airlock. Normally, airlock depressurization is fairly tame, and a person in a spacesuit won't so much as get launched as they would be gently pushed out. But this atmosphere is much denser, with a higher pressure. You get shot out of the cargo section, launched across the park, and fly for long enough to notice Coriolis effects from the station's rotation [4] before landing in a tree that absorbs most of the impact. Your suit absorbs the rest. Phew!

Sadly you weren't able to hold on to the mortar thing, although it got shot out with you. You saw it land somewhere on the roof of a building (it happened to fly further out and into the city). You descend from the tree and find yourself next to 3rd Avenue, between 8th and 12th street. The building the mortar landed on is somewhere on the intersection between 5th ave, and 20th street. You think, at least. The way you found the address as by overlaying the city navigation map onto your visor, and trying to remember the trajectory of the item.

You spot police heading back to the shuttle. Nobody seems to have spotted you flying, but the shuttle itself... is now on fire.

The Jolly Roger, Franz| 238d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Burgundy Lobby
Heavy Chatter (-1 Intellect, +2 Stealth)

Just when I needed a bigger hole for the others, someone comes around with a hammer I can do it with.

"Poke" the crewman with my spear.

[6/6] You launch yourself through the gap in the hull. The poor crewman doesn't even see you coming before you make contact.

No initiative roll due to successfully entering the breach.

[6] vs (2) Your spear goes right through the crewman's suit and torso. The suit depressurizes, spraying out little bits of crystallized fluid as it automatically tries to seal the gap. The crewman passes out, and you push him away (he settles against the wall) while taking the power hammer. It is battery-operated, but should last long enough not only to enlarge the gap, but to use it against another enemy as a brutally effective melee weapon. If you get into range, of course.

[4] You use the hammer to enlarge the breach, allowing Alice to squeeze through, Charlie to stumble in and start spinning forward, and Steve to wander inside curiously.

Steve: Why do I have an assault rifle in my inventory?

Alice starts moving into the hall, bashing open the next door with its elbow. Air rushes out, causing enemies in the next room to loose balance and fall toward the door. [Resist knockdown-2+3 (from weight)] You are slightly pushed back, but the retro thrusters on your suit allows you to stay in position.

The next room consists of a tall cylindrical chamber with ladders on the walls laid out in a grid pattern. There are three enemy combatants, one wearing a red powersuit with exposed thrusters and hydraulics (he hasn't been knocked down, and is the most immediate threat), while the other two have lost their grips and are flying toward the door you are looking through. All three are armed with shotguns.

In the center of the room is a transparent cylinder with a stream of plasma in the center, flashing brightly as the current through it fluctuates. A plasma conduit, used to supply power to the ship's energy weapons. 'downstairs' should be a maintenance passage leading to the weapon itself, while 'upstairs' should lead you to the weapon reactor eventually. Both are accessible through circular hatches about a meter across.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:57:34 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Roll 16
« Reply #481 on: January 09, 2015, 07:47:04 pm »

((Shouldn't you change the location designation?))

Okay, quick quick, either shoot the plasma thing to take out a cannon and possibly some crew or just shoot at the guys.
F*** it, I'll just kill them.

Shoot the red guy. With my Heavy Rifle.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:50:19 pm by Happy Demon »
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 09, 2015, 08:58:17 pm »

((Maaaybe.))

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 10, 2015, 02:36:47 am »

Ooops. Go look for the tube thingy, but ditch the suit first.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 10, 2015, 03:28:57 am »

"I think they're fine, guys. But the shooter might be with them, so keep your guard."
Try to spot any weapons on the lifeboat, if any. Arm myself with a short gun, pistol, submachine gun or a shotgun.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 10, 2015, 05:24:19 am »

((Because my previous fluff post is now behind several other posts, I wont bother going double spoiler on it.))
((Fluff.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Edit: ((Fluffy fluff.))
Edit 2: ((Triple fluff!))
Edit 3: ((Quadruple fluff.))
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 01:25:26 pm by Happy Demon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 10, 2015, 12:30:14 pm »

((Ribbon fluff!))
Edit: ((Double fluffy.))
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 03:01:02 pm by Happy Demon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 12, 2015, 10:25:11 am »

((Eh, a bit bored, fluff time.))

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: January 12, 2015, 10:57:53 am »

Look around to make sure no one is listening to us.
"....Do you know somewhere quiet? I have some info about SpaceInc you might want to hear before you go and talk with them."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Playerlist
« Reply #489 on: January 15, 2015, 02:42:15 am »

((Whoops.))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:52:39 am by _DivideByZero_ »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: January 15, 2015, 02:52:19 am »

Port Newton, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Askarian Shores
Snow (Low visibility. Actions toward distant objects incur a small penalty based on distance)
Freezing Wind (-1 to all actions when exposed)

"I think they're fine, guys. But the shooter might be with them, so keep your guard."
Try to spot any weapons on the lifeboat, if any. Arm myself with a short gun, pistol, submachine gun or a shotgun.

[5] You open up a footlocker to find an impressive variety of weapons and other assorted goods, including a bubbleshield. You equip yourself with a shotgun and two machine pistols for good measure before heading out the airlock to assist the lifeboaters aboard.

Spoiler: Bubbleshields (click to show/hide)

As the boaters approach, you recognize the suits the boaters are wearing--it's the kind the fishermen are wearing, not the assassin you encountered. You also recognize the person lying at the floor of the boat--it's Orion.

The fishers pull themselves aboard, dragging Orion out of the lifeboat and shoving him over the edge of the airlock hatch.

"I hope you guys are happy. Your hitman's adventure cost us a lot of lives and money."
[1/6] They are very upset and ask if the Guild can provide compensation for the losses. They also ask if they can head back to the sinking boat to look for survivors to bring aboard. They expect to be dropped off at a port installation, which is good because that's where you are going next.

They seem to expect help. The Guild Officer, whose name is Billiard Muntley, offers his services, although he is willing to concede to a democratic decision should the others unanimously vote against him. The pilot wants to get out of here as fast as possible in case the assassin survived, and the engineer is somewhat traumatized by the fact that he fell from a plane in an explosion. Both want to leave--so it looks like the choice is up to you.

Habitat Ship Gamma, Askarian Orbit | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Urban Station
City Manners (-1 to first impressions)

Look around to make sure no one is listening to us.
"....Do you know somewhere quiet? I have some info about SpaceInc you might want to hear before you go and talk with them."

"Sure, I have an office here in the top floor."
"I can join you two if you want."
"Up to Silvia." (he mispronounces your name)

Regardless of your decision, you head up via an elevator to the top floor of the university, where the observatory and astronomer's offices are located. The office itself hangs over the rest of the university, a large pyramidal structure that looms out below you. The roof and walls are entirely made up of windows, except for the wall that connects it to the hallway.

The scientist gets out a bundle of papers, labelled "GAL SIGNAL HYP" in barely legible print.
"So I call this the Galactic Signal Hypothesis, I have a file here with various notes I've taken. I think there's enough evidence to convince a businessman or two..."

Ooops. Go look for the tube thingy, but ditch the suit first.

Shedding your suit, you approach the structure.

[2] The building is currently under construction. The building itself is a Guild office and datacenter, which unfortunately you don't have clearance for. You're an operative, not an administrator. The administrative offices are just down the street, but it might not be a good idea to tell them how the mortar got sent up there in the first place.

The mortar is currently lodged in a half-dried bed of concrete that will soon be one of the upper floors of the new building. The construction process is mostly automated, with only two engineers on duty. There are three people, but one is un-badged and isn't even wearing a hard hat. Probably a friend. The three persons are currently speaking to each other in front of a crane control booth. The crane itself has a number of programs available which lets it move items around in an automated fashion, both big and small. It can work in tandem with two other cranes which are controlled at similar booths scattered nearby.

The Jolly Roger, Franz| 238d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Burgundy Lobby
Heavy Chatter (-1 Intellect, +2 Stealth)

((Shouldn't you change the location designation?))

Okay, quick quick, either shoot the plasma thing to take out a cannon and possibly some crew or just shoot at the guys.
F*** it, I'll just kill them.

Shoot the red guy. With my Heavy Rifle.

Initiative:
[5] Red guy
[3] Alice
[3] Vax

The Red Guy has a total defense of 2

(4) vs (2+2) The red guy attacks Alice, and the pellets punch through its suit! However, the alien appears to feel no pain, and responds in due kind. You once again suspect that this is an Ogre. The ejected slime from the bullet wounds looks like Sludge matter. You're not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing to be fighting alongside other people Bobites.

(4) vs (1+2) Alice's machine gun issues forth a barrage, most of which makes contact with the Red Guy and puts his gun out of action. Tossing the gun away, the Red Guy jets toward one of the floating crewmen and grabs the crewman's shotgun (-2 to Red Guy's next Initiative roll).

[3+2] vs (3+2) You fire the heavy rifle. You've fired it numerous times before onboard the boarding ship, but never in zero-G! The kick sends you flying backward into the wall, although you brace yourself with your feet and take advantage of the burst of speed to get out of the line of fire.

Since the defender rolled a 5, he also put up a great defense.
The shot impacts the crewman whose gun the Red Guy just stole, spilling his guts across the chamber. You notice strange black things about the size of a fist coming out of the wound, but perhaps those are combat drugs. Typical pirate behavior.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 03:00:56 am by _DivideByZero_ »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: January 15, 2015, 05:16:38 am »

Simple really, ask the engineers to get it for me!

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: January 15, 2015, 05:43:09 am »

"Ow."

Damn, he's good. Maybe I should've used the assault rifle instead... Nah, I still killed a guy.
Gonna need a way to get in there... f*** it, I got regeneration.

Ready my spear and assault rifle. Kick myself back towards the door, tell Alice I'm coming through.
Use the assault rifle to spray at the red guy, and try to get withing poking range of the floating crewmen.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: January 15, 2015, 08:16:31 am »

((Fluff.))
Edit: ((More fluff.))
Edit 2: ((Edited the Off-World fluff to use the correct off-world name of the Sludge.))
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:15:15 am by Happy Demon »

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: January 15, 2015, 08:55:05 am »

"The assasin had good and proper mind control technology, god's sake. And a shitload of grenades. And a bad habit of shooting everyone on sight. I know one thing, we gotta go. Now."
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 49