Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49

Author Topic: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Guild Home Base - Theorycrafting!  (Read 70925 times)

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: 3008 AD: The Guild Chronicles - Intermission - What's cookin?
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2014, 07:05:14 am »

Try to tackle Orion before he gets to my associates.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2014, 09:57:07 am »

"We just got started. We need to find the captain and see if we can hitch a ride to the Megacity on her ship. She's a trader, I expected her to be in the bar, but perhaps she's at the broker's office. We found a lot of off-planet spices in her ship's hold. She could be at the fishmarket for God-knows-why.

Look for a woman with smooth green hair. Or, if that fails, her uniform is white with a giant purple insignia on her shoulders and torso. The Trader's Union."

"Humm, a woman? Sounds like a job right up my spacelane...heh, heh, heh...sorry! Still, I'm good at getting along with people. Human females view me as cute, and Human males want to butcher me into delicious meats...Anyway, the Gargle-Destroyer is starting to affect my upper synapses, so I think I'll go find this merchant.

Goodbye everyone! Don't forget, McMarlo's Zheesey Birdnuggets™ are now sold in participating stores! All the Zheese™, half the price!"
He mugged, doing the McMarlo shuffle.

Sigh. It's tough being a Spokesbirdman.

McMarlo stumbled out of the bar, floating a few feet off the ground due to the effects of the Gargle Destroyer-giving a final salute to his fallen joke chicken back in the bar, who had been apparently destroyed by an unknown weapon of some sort. Well, these things happen all the time...

Action: To the brokers office!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:00:17 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2014, 10:38:42 am »

((Is it multispectrumblocking chicken?))

((It's what's for dinner.))

Deuce turned to watch the bird-man walk out the door.  "That's good thinking there; I bet he is pretty tasty.  Maybe if we get stranded somewhere, he can be the first one we eat for food.  He laughed derisively.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2014, 10:55:45 am »

((Is it multispectrumblocking chicken?))

((It's what's for dinner.))

Deuce turned to watch the bird-man walk out the door.  "That's good thinking there; I bet he is pretty tasty.  Maybe if we get stranded somewhere, he can be the first one we eat for food.  He laughed derisively.

McMarlo shot Deuce with a finger gun as he retreated.

"Only at participating stores!"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2014, 11:04:47 am »

(What should the as-of-yet non-guild characters do?)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Roll 2
« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2014, 02:06:27 pm »

Roll 4
Intermission

Port Newton Bar, Northern Ridge, Askarian | 233d/3008AD | Von Hapsburg System

Port Newton Bar
Medium Chatter (+1 to deception, -1 to intellect)

Nerin continues scanning
Nerid: [5] Before Hal starts moving, you engross yourself in a comprehensive scan of the chicken, looking for any residue, transmuted matter, concentrations of nonstandard particles, etc. Your spectrum reading of the gamma-emitting core of the chicken--or rather, the thing that melted the chicken--suggests a loop of metastable tachyonic molecules. The particles are bouncing around inside an uncatalogued red crystal, perhaps a form of corundum saturated with quantum dots. This creates a rapidly oscillating magnetic quadrupole that falls off rather quickly--but anything close enough and ferromagnetic will soon meet a molten end.

Valrak: Feeling Nerin's curiosity, you walk over and reach for the crystal. [1] vs (3) Something pulls your arm away, however. It's not the tachyon bead, which has fairly small number of high energy tachyons inside of it. Slow-moving ones. Slower means closer to the speed of light--more energy.

The chicken pile stars smoldering.

"Long as you fellas are cleaning up, I got no problems with a little manly scuffle. Just keep them lasers away from folk's eyes."

"Argh! Stupid beads! Rot in the sewers!" he swears silently.

Picking up any dropped loot, he continues waddling away. Once he's safe, he looks inside the cylindrical thing.

The crazy guy isn't following you, he's following that red bead that just annihilated the chicken. So good for you, he forfeited the loot.

You start peeling away the aluminum coating off the cylinder. [1/6] It's very soft, lightweight, and smells like... toast. As you finish unwrapping it, you realize it's a sandwich.

Quote from: SaberToothTiger
Try to tackle Orion before he gets to my associates.

Orion isn't necessarily trying to get at your associates. He just wants to get that bead because it has some sort of special importance to him. Probably some kind of toy. And there's a flaming chicken on it.

Initiative rolls: You: [3], Orion: [6]

(4) vs [4] You feel something holding you back as you charge. It's not any sort of physical force, but rather it's like your body isn't doing what you're telling it to do. Then you realize what's happening: Orion is issuing commands to your body. The only way to resist these is to actively override them.

[5] vs (1) You slow down, but not enough to stop completely. Reaching Orion, you lunge at him and pin him to the ground. He says nothing, although he hasn't flipped the switch like he always seems to do when switching from talking to acting. Maybe he's a robot. A sociopathic telepathic robot, in fact.

Spoiler: Mental attacks (click to show/hide)

Action: To the brokers office!
Giving a curt nod, Nidoma heads back inside to look for this woman.

McMarlo: The quantum drink has left you a little... shaken. That's no problem since your body is built to handle all sorts of things, not excluding radiation, tidal forces, high gravity, and consumption by other intelligent species. But the part where it entangles your atoms with much lighter particles, reducing your overall density... that makes it a little hard to reach the doorknob. Nevertheless, you improvise, using the curved tip of your helmet as a hook to pull the knob with. You float into the hall and look for an office labelled 'broker.' Ah, there it is!

Nidoma: You see the levitating bird-man (wearing a guild suit, so he must be one of your associates. Ugh) walk into a set of double doors made of a transparent plastic. The doors contain a viscous fluid that ripples when the door is opened.

You decide to follow him so you don't have to watch these fools beating each other senseless.

Both:
The broker, a short, bearded creature much like a human but with stronger arms and an even stronger gut, sits in a little cubicle far below waist level. McMarlo, currently levitating multiple feet off the ground, has just as much difficulty maintaining eye contact with the dwarf as Nidoma has by virtue of her stature.

"What brings you? Do you want to make a trade? I've got plenty of stuff in the warehouse you might like. Fabrics, spices, herbs... rare metals, explosive compounds, plutonium-powered figurines... you name it!"

(What should the as-of-yet non-guild characters do?)

You spot a blond-haired Guild woman entering the bar after the ravenman leaves. She spots you close in proximity to some of her associates, and walks over to ask about it.
"Hey there, you've been speaking with some of the guild? I assume you're some kind of bounty hunter or mercenary, am I correct?

If you're looking for work, the Guild is prepping for a hostile takeover of the SpaceInc Ulysses Megacity. It's a contract with some bloody rich Milanese prince. If you're interested in infiltration duty by chance, we could fill you in."

« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:03:05 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 13, 2014, 02:10:00 pm »

Deuce turns back to the barman.  "Now I'm hungry.  What you got for grub?"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 13, 2014, 02:37:33 pm »

Nerin relays the data to Valrak.

Noticing the abnormal movement of both Valrak and other guild members, Nerin and Valrak Syncronize, with Nerin as the base. Movement and speech orders must be issued to the base body and relayed back to the secondary body before the secondary body actually enables movement. Meaning any movement order for Valrak must relay through Nerin until they desync or be otherwise ineffective. ((Won't do shit vs telekinesis, but it'll effectively negate someone issuing orders to the nerves.)) Valrak proceeds to walk over to the pinned Orion and flip the switch repeatedly. Odds are is that'll fuck something up. Aiding in pinning if necessary.

Red crystal, why the tachyons? Valrak slams Orion's face against the ground relatively lightly for a 51er but more then enough to break a his nose if it's normal cartilage. ((I assume a pinned person does not get a dodge roll for that?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 13, 2014, 02:49:49 pm »

Nerin relays the data to Valrak.

Noticing the abnormal movement of both Valrak and other guild members, Nerin and Valrak Syncronize, with Nerin as the base. Movement and speech orders must be issued to the base body and relayed back to the secondary body before the secondary body actually enables movement. Meaning any movement order for Valrak must relay through Nerin until they desync or be otherwise ineffective. ((Won't do shit vs telekinesis, but it'll effectively negate someone issuing orders to the nerves.)) Valrak proceeds to walk over to the pinned Orion and flip the switch repeatedly. Odds are is that'll fuck something up. Aiding in pinning if necessary.

Red crystal, why the tachyons? Valrak slams Orion's face against the ground relatively lightly for a 51er but more then enough to break a his nose if it's normal cartilage. ((I assume a pinned person does not get a dodge roll for that?))

((Dodge rolls only occur if their initiative roll is higher and they son't attack. Pinned characters get an initiative penalty, likely -2, but they can still technically dodge if you screw up badly.

EDIT Ah, I see what you mean. If Orion outrolls Hal, then he will break free. If Hal rolls a higher initiative and Varak rolls less, he will stay pinned but Valrak's attack will miss.))
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:59:45 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 13, 2014, 03:15:09 pm »

((More of a conditional:

If Orion gets unpinned, then pin. Initiative rolls will make results vary.

If pinned by Valrak, fuck with switch and break his nose.

If Orion stays pinned by Hal, then fuck with Orion's switch and break Orion's nose if able.

If Orion partly gets free but Hal still has grip, Aid Hal in the pinning and fuck with switch/break nose if possible.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 13, 2014, 04:16:55 pm »

Headbutt him twice, then try to rip the switch off his head, hopefully alongside his brain.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 13, 2014, 04:27:26 pm »

Nerin looks around for something to pick up the molten tachyon crystal up with without melting his hand.

Valrak proceeds with stated actions.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2014, 06:04:17 pm »

"Food! Most valuable of treasures!"

Sneak into the room where two of his guild mates are going. Once the guy find that he's stolen all his stuff, they're probably going to blame the rat. It's always the rat.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2014, 06:11:49 pm »

You spot a blond-haired Guild woman entering the bar after the ravenman leaves. She spots you close in proximity to some of her associates, and walks over to ask about it.
"Hey there, you've been speaking with some of the guild? I assume you're some kind of bounty hunter or mercenary, am I correct?

If you're looking for work, the Guild is prepping for a hostile takeover of the SpaceInc Ulysses Megacity. It's a contract with some bloody rich Milanese prince. If you're interested in infiltration duty by chance, we could fill you in."

(Wondering if I should use a different dialogue color)

Atlos, still a bit jittery from the drink, turns around in his tank to face the newcomer as she addresses him. "You could call me a ...contractor, I think. And what a coincidence, I was just talking about jobs! Infiltration, you say?"
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2014, 07:02:52 pm »

(Wondering if I should use a different dialogue color)

((Whoops, I should have used a yellow glow. Don't worry about it, I just use a combination of glows and base colors for NPC dialogue. I need to in order to have enough options to work with.))

Atlos, still a bit jittery from the drink, turns around in his tank to face the newcomer as she addresses him. "You could call me a ...contractor, I think. And what a coincidence, I was just talking about jobs! Infiltration, you say?"

"Infiltration. We plan to use an unaffiliated trader's ship to insert a number of operatives aboard the megacity. We can't send too many aboard because, well, it's suspicious. After sufficiently distancing themselves from the trader (so we don't get her in trouble), our operatives will then look for weaknesses in security and disable the orbital defense platforms in orbit of the gas giant. This leaves SpaceInc vulnerable to a swift and painless seizure of assets. We can even ransom an executive or two if we can intercept them.

If you choose to join, you'll be with some of the best operatives in the sector. If if fails, we have a number of contingency plans in store. Contacts in another system, coercing our contractor to organize a rescue operation, full-on assault, etc."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:08:57 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 49