Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why is aluminum so rare?  (Read 3661 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Why is aluminum so rare?
« on: November 08, 2014, 08:16:11 pm »

I hear people complaining about how common aluminum chunks are in Dwarf Fortress compared to real life, yet it's not that much more. At least Napolean had aluminum cutlery and embroidery for doors. I'm lucky if I have an aluminum ring. Another example: bismuth bronze is somewhat rare to see in the embark menu. I finally got it in the embark menu, and then I got a really rare, modded alloy, that I've never actually seen in the embark menu before. And then, after those two rare metals, I finally got aluminum. Why is aluminum so hard to find?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why is aluminum so rare?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 08:32:38 pm »

In real life, aluminum is the most abundant metal on the Earth's surface. However, the vast majority of it is locked up in chemical compounds and methods for extracting it weren't invented until the 19th century. The "Raw Aluminum" in DF is the extremely rare pure form of the metal which can only be found in certain special environments where it doesn't chemically react.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:39:50 am »

What he said. Modern aluminum comes from bauxite, which is relatively common in DF, but it takes a lot of electricity to process into metal and that's several centuries past DF's technology cutoff.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 01:53:18 am »

There's tons of aluminium in Dwarf fortress -- it's locked up in the bauxite and sapphire, and in the aluminum-bearing silicates like kaolinite, microcline, orthoclase, and others; sadly inaccessable to your ~14th century equivalent metallurgical tools.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 01:54:50 am »

So get a waterwheel going, go into adventure mode, pick up the platinum war hammer, and start whacking at a sapphire on some rollers?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 02:11:50 am »

Look up the Hall-Heroult process.

That's something that dorftech has yet to accomplish.

Therefore, they can only get aluminum from environments where it won't have oxidized due to its reactive nature, which is pretty much only volcanoes in the real world (ergo its placement in Igneous Extrusive layers)
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 06:11:02 pm »

At least Napolean had aluminum cutlery and embroidery for doors.

And those were priceless treasures at the time.  There was a period where aluminum was a very precious metal.  When we finally figured out how to use electricity to smelt it, it became very abundant.  The reason why it's hard to smelt is because aluminum is very chemically reactive.  Any aluminum object you see is coated in a thin layer of aluminum oxide (which, unlike iron rust, is not permeable to oxygen, so it protects the rest of the aluminum from rusting).  To get pure aluminum you have to break those strong chemical bonds.   If you manage to set aluminum on fire, the resulting combustion is *extremely* intense (see thermite).
hamster cheese supplies are low

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:36:53 am »

Raw aluminum or native aluminum? On my current fort I don't even remember how much times I struck native aluminum, but never actually tried to smelt it or use it in some other way. I am aware of its value, but I never really did anything to do with trading and I am not planning to do so anyway.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 08:47:24 am »

Raw aluminum or native aluminum?
In DF, native aluminum is raw aluminum.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

schlake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 12:36:07 pm »

There's tons of aluminium in Dwarf fortress -- it's locked up in the bauxite and sapphire, and in the aluminum-bearing silicates like kaolinite, microcline, orthoclase, and others; sadly inaccessable to your ~14th century equivalent metallurgical tools.

Sounds like a job for the Alchemy skill.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 03:14:27 pm »

Not as rare as Bituminous Coal/Lignite

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 06:57:59 pm »

...That's a joke, right? I always have 8000+ coke on a normal map, with smelters going full time.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2014, 11:36:22 am »

Not as rare as Bituminous Coal/Lignite
Bitcoal/lignite is only available in some biomes, so if your embark is not in such a biome, then you will never find any of it. You can still use magma forges or charcoal however. Setting the mineral frequency before starting worldgen to frequent or everywhere will certainly help with finding bitcoal or lignite. But even on everywhere coal is never truly everywhere, on my current fort I have no stone coal, and since my wood supply is limited, I am switching to magma forges now.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 11:39:35 am »

Coal is only rare if you insist on embarking on a volcano, since volcanoes are surrounded by Igneous Extrusive stone instead of the Sedimentary stones in which coal is capable of appearing.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

scionkirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:34:13 pm »

Dwarves don't need no stinking elvish Hall-Heroult process.  They can just beat the bauxite with their bare hands until it gives up its aluminum
Pages: [1] 2