Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: EOTFS: Emperor Wars (5/5) - Church vs. Capitalism the odds are 431:431  (Read 21475 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns: Emperor Wars (5/5)
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2014, 05:14:56 am »

so 1 yay, 1 nay and 1 abstain. 2 votes missing...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2014, 11:01:40 am »

I am against universal warehouse.

I'm a little put off by the changes in this mod.  Does it still play like the good old Nova mod we are used to?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2014, 12:35:37 pm »

I am against universal warehouse.

I'm a little put off by the changes in this mod.  Does it still play like the good old Nova mod we are used to?
From my limited playtesting, I'd say no. You have all these income-generating units and income-guzzling mercenaries, for example. The tech tree is heavily revamped as well, not to mention the completely different starting positions.

Mind you, I don't think it's bad at all.

EDIT: If there's some people here who are put off by the increased complexity, we might want to consider running two games, one with Nova and one with Emperor Wars.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:38:30 pm by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

C-SH4M4N

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 12:38:43 pm »

One last thing we need to consider is the use of Universal Warehouses: yay or nay?

I personally vote yay since i am already overcumbered with figuring out what half the techs and units do even without trying to set up Trade Fleets.

Sorry, work can be a bitch sometimes!
I'll go for YAY on that one.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 01:46:34 pm »

Seeing as we have other people who expressed interest I'll bow out if anyone wants to call dibs on the spot.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 01:50:51 pm »

What a cool-looking game. I won't get into it with as much as I have on my plate, but at some later date I might want to get in!
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 02:36:55 pm »

Looks like a tie, maybe, let me download the mod tonight and take a look at it before I vote. Depending on the sheer number of resources to keep track of it might be better to go universal shipping, but I would prefer it off.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 03:13:55 pm »

There aren't any more resources to keep track of than in vanilla. I grabbed it (forgot I don't need the CD-ROM, silly me) and all the patches and gave it a spin.

holy shit dem rebels  :o

I think the craziness is just that you're starting about 80-100 turns into a "normal" game, with an established presence on 3 or more planets, plus a token presence on several other planets which are held by other players (including League and Holy Church worlds, which are now more than just Leagueheim and Terra). FWIW, I'd be in favor of turning UW off, because you lack the infrastructure to produce a lot of advanced resources, so you'll need to deal with the League to keep your factories running early on. While there are agoras everywhere now, it still means you could cripple an enemy by interdicting purchased goods from the League. And/or you face the quandary of destroying an Agora on a planet to blockade it, but incurring the wrath of a much beefier League with its Muster soldiery.

I love that the League and Church have been buffed up, but I'm sad that they didn't do anything with sects. I got excited when I saw that there would be actual Eskatonic and Amalthean units, but sorely disappointed to see that these start as Orthodox. That's just lazy.

Also, there seem to be a lot of unit types that are either fluff or just six flavors of the same thing. Which is nice for the RP aspect, but doesn't necessarily add much to the gameplay.

Also also, it's a good thing nobles can be rebuilt because holy crap Hawkwood lost two in its first turn to rebels. Your nobles start scattered across your domain, often in far-flung farms and such with no retinue to guard them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 04:08:12 pm »

sects didnt have much effect in my decados sp so far but jeez church is quite the doom stack killer. ive seen terrible orbital invasions from them going on crushing hawkwood into the dust. and the Symbiots are spreading everywhere like crazy.

On another note since maniac wants to bow out Redking or Karlito, whichever posts first gets his spot.

In regards of UW, you should be aware that the game gets ridiculous regarding micromanagement with those and while starvation and blockades are fun mechanics they make the game incredibly micromanagement heavy. Adding to that ive never seen a game progress thus far as to make blockades a major factor of the game...

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 08:42:05 pm »

On another note since maniac wants to bow out Redking or Karlito, whichever posts first gets his spot.
I'll take it!

I still want to try UW off. I think because the game begins in such an advanced state, blockades and such have a decent chance of seeing play, and I think shared resources would make the unit-based economy a little too easy to manage.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2014, 06:56:32 am »

Well then it seems like we are playing with UW off...gods have mercy upon our souls. Don't forget that i told you so when this inevitably backfires. In any case C-Sh4m4n would you set up the game?

Edit: set everyone to human, UW off and PBEM on.

C-SH4M4N

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 09:34:28 am »

I'll have to bow down and bail out of the game: while installing one of the patches, my computer managed to do a DIVIDE BY ZERO feat and, as a result, my system is very unstable. :'(

Anyone interested in playing as a dynasty of then-demon-fanatic-heretics-now-god-worshipping-spanish-zealots, feel free to jump in! (Sanity may be optional).

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 09:39:26 am »

urgh...first post gets Shamans place.

lijacote

• Bay Watcher
  • Lissasa
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars (4/5) - Need Replacement, Sanity not required
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2014, 12:00:53 pm »

I'm interested in joining, but I haven't even started the game successfully yet. That in mind, I am prepared to go through a bootcamp and then join, even taking into account being terrible and sucky -- if you don't get a player by the end of this week or so? Maybe? I do hope you'll get someone else.
Me miserable! which way shall I fly
Infinite wrath, and infinite despair?
Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell;
And, in the lowest deep, a lower deep
Still threatening to devour me opens wide,
To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heaven.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: EOTFS: Emperor Wars (4/5) - Need Replacement, Sanity not required
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2014, 12:41:17 pm »

Oh, what the hell....I'll do it. I played around last night with Li Halan, and their starting position isn't too bad (except for that badass pirate carrier parked above Icon).

This is definitely one where I'm going to have to keep careful notes of what's on each planet. Doubly so with UW off.

I look forward to seeing the Avesti purge the taint of heresy out of your wretched hides.

(P.S. Are we just going with the default traits, or no?) Never mind, just saw #2. You can leave Li Halan's traits as is.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13