Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: EOTFS: Emperor Wars (5/5) - Church vs. Capitalism the odds are 431:431  (Read 21469 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Hello guys, i wanted to check for interested in an Eofts Game.

We will be using the Emperor Wars mod, which in turn uses the Reality Mod.
What both mods do in short is basically:
Improving Rebels (you now have to deal with much more intelligent rebels and different kinds to. Vuldroks, Ascorbites, Ur-Ukar, basically all teh races and rebels from the Fluff Universe are present now and an active competitor for control of the planets. And with active i mean ACTIVE. Undefended Cities will fall prey to them just as well as you have to deal with sudden raids on your supplies or on your hapless engineers)
Improving the Xeno Threat ( Symbiots are more intelligent, more active and more of a threat)
New Tech and New Units ( Each Faction gets its own thematic units. Decados gets Kossacks and Jakovians, Hazat Dercishes and Archons and so on and so forth)
MERCENARIES! ( lacking tech or resources? Hire the Muster! Or other Mercs from the League)
New Methods of Income ( you can now build serfs, prostitutes, slaves, luxury liners etc. pp. all of which allow you to play differently then before. You could rely on your own resources and tech, or simply form for example a more Decados thematic economy of Feudal Serfs and Slave/Prostitution Trade and hire lots of Mercenaries instead)
lots of balancing and other stuff.
Basically the mod is hilarious fun if a bit confusing at times and sadly lacking a tutorial on many units. I still haven't figured out all of the features but apparently the league and the church are also more active.

In any case as always the Houses:
al-Malik: Boksi
Hawkwood: Margrave
Hazat: karlito
Decados: Ghazkull
Li-Halan: empty

House Rules:
1. The initial single Holdings on Other Players Homeworlds and on Church and Leagueheim Worlds are considered Embassies and should be treated as such. You may not abuse them for any kind of shenangian. Using them as a Base for Invasion however is allowed. You may not use the units contained within to steal ruins, relics or other stuff.

2.If you move spies to these Embassies you may move them around even without an declaration of war. I mean we can assume that Noble Houses do this anyway.

3. You may not touch the Unit Pay slider.

4. House Traits may be freely chosen.

5. No attacks on the Imperial Eye, until 2 turns after a player has been given command of the Imperial Eye. This will give the Eye transports enough time to move away. Without this rule, the Eye will be seriously crippled, since almost all of their landers will be taken out by players.

6. You may not reload the saved game file, and begin your turn again, just because you don't like the way your turn is going. Nor may you play a turn repeatedly in order to explore more territory.

7. No selling ministry resources. Otherwise, a minister can sell resources belonging to his ministry, adding the money to his house coffers. It is OK for your house units/cities to consume ministry resources.

8. You may not deliberately leave your ministry cities, resources or spaceships undefended and open to capture by an ally, or by your own forces once your term of office is over. This is a devious way of transferring ministry property to the control of your house.

9. You must leave an open route to each of your labs. Surrounding a lab with cities or units, or putting it on a single-hex island, means that the Church's Inquisitors will not attack it if you research a proscribed technology. Taking advantage of this fact would make the Church's proscriptions irrelevant

10. You may not deliberately starve your cities in order to start a plague, aiming to infect other players' cities and units too. This is a sneaky trick which undermines the value of plague bombs. Alternative: switch the Plague option off, when you begin a game. However, if you do this, Plague Bombs will be ineffective.

11. You may not start building a unit with the specific intention of cancelling the build. This is a sneaky way to transfer resources from one location to another, since the resources used to build the unit reappear in the building city, and are not returned to their original location.

12. No selling maps to the Vau. Selling maps to the Vau is money for nothing. It has no cost associated with it. Therefore it's just pointless mouse clicking. (Also, in my "It's War!" scenario, it gives a big advantage to Li-Halan, who gets first chance to sell maps of all the known worlds.)

13. The Regent may not declare himself Emperor in an election year. If he does so, the usual 10 turn delay before he becomes Emperor is not enforced.

14. A noble may not vote unless he has been on the surface of Byzantium continuously since the previous election. He is banned from voting even if he took off and landed again in the same turn. If a noble is allowed to stay in orbit or jump around the surface of Byzantium, it's too easy for him to avoid assassins. You can consider this rule to be a statute of the Imperial constitution.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:58:58 pm by Ghazkull »

C-SH4M4N

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns: Emperor Wars
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:29:26 pm »

OH HELLZ YEAH!!!

I'm up for it!!!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 03:00:29 am »

I'd be up for a game. I've tried playing this mod singleplayer before... It's a bit confusing, but at least everybody else will be confused with me.

EDIT: Since Ghazkull picked Decados, I guess I'll pick al-Malik.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 04:31:20 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

C-SH4M4N

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2014, 06:27:02 am »

I'll get the Lord's Believers Li Halan.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2014, 07:36:33 am »

Okay three people so far, so good.

Also holy shit started a singleplayer game and one of the AI players opened a Symbiot ruin without killing them off...three rounds later half the planet had fallen to Symbiot invasion.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 02:10:22 pm »

Huh, I'd be interested in The Hazat (for old time's sake), with the caveat that I won't be able to start playing until the end of the week, at least.

House Rules:
None so far, if you want to suggest any go forth and do it.
I've done no more than install this mod and look at the first turn set-up, but here's some impressions:
  • With Houses having holdings on more than half the planets in the galaxy, playing without universal warehouse seems like the more interesting choice.
  • There's some weirdness with the income producing units, in that upping the unit play slider gives you more money as well as more unit morale, so changing that slider should probably be disallowed.
  • We should come to a consensus on House Traits, possibly just agreeing to keep the default starting ones for maximum roleplay.
  • As the anecdote above indicates, one might be able to use their units in a galactic holding to open a symbiot ruin on another player's planet pretty early in the game. We might want to disallow do things like that.
  • Also, if I have a turn that comes before yours, and I have units on your home planet (because I started the game with them there), I might be able to buy out the League Agora before you have an opportunity to purchase things from it.
  • The Recommended Nova Mod House Rules - obviously not all of these are relevant to this mod, but they're worth considering. I think that, at least, we should adhere to the ones that are don't cheat/exploit bugs.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns: Emperor Wars (3/5)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »

Huh. I'd be fascinated to know what changes they made to the Church. If they managed to get sects to work as they were properly intended, I'd be all over this like white on rice.

I even still have my original CD-ROM.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2014, 03:15:55 pm »

well all the sects have representatives now, however i wasnt able to play so far as to say on how far they affect the church diplomacy.

As to holdings on other players homeplanets i am all for a Roleplay ruling: Those Holdings are supposed to be Embassies of the houses and should be treated no different. No more than the starting amount of units is allowed in one such holding and they may not be used for early rushes or similiar abusive exploitation. Aka taking away other peoples Ruins.

I also agree on the Unit pay although that one is new to me.

House Traits should be freely choosable and many of them have now actual ingame effects. Being an Enemy of the Church now has interesting Effects it seems. In several of my games the church was prone to declaring war on houses that had the enemy of the church trait when they crossed boundaries.

As for Nova Mod Rules:
Rule 1 cannot be kept, i have played for a while and if no player takes over Stigmata it is GOING to be overrung by Symbiots. They have been quite upped as a threat level. Also the Imperial Fleet might now have to deal with Rebel Fleets. I have seen several engaging other players. Although i have no idea wher ethey come from. One even Orbital Bombarded one of my holdings.

Rule 2,4,7,8, 9,12, 15, 16, 18  we will keep in.

11 and 17 is not possible simply because either the mod or the game prevents you now.

14 will be ignored
20,21 will be ignored. The League is extremely well defended now and can take on three to four houses single handedly. The Church is even worse, it has 4 to 5 times the units any house can muster in the beginning.
22,23 will also be ignored
24,26,27, 30, 31, 32,33, 35, 37, 38, 39 has been fixed

29 will be kept. Similiarly to engage in Diplomatic relations with anyone, you need a noble on the planet. Nobles can be rebuilt in the game.
40 will also be kept.

i will add the rules to the OP

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2014, 04:57:10 pm »

Hell yes hell yes hell yes.  I don't care which, give me the house Redking doesn't want.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 10:10:37 am »

I might be too late, but I'd like to get in on this if possible. Hawkwood time.

If I can't then I will eagerly sit on the pinch hitter seat.

Also:

Nobles can be rebuilt in the game.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:20:20 am by Margrave »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 10:15:02 am »

Hell yes hell yes hell yes.  I don't care which, give me the house Redking doesn't want.
Oh, I don't have time to play now (nor do I have a computer that I can install a CD-ROM on...have to finish rebuilding my desktop first.) Will definitely be PTW though.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 01:31:45 pm »

well then Margrave gets Hawkwood and mainiac will go with Hazat.

As to Nobles rebuilding: you can build new ones with the Feudalism Tech which will start out as Young Nobles and Upgrade to Noble Heirs after 10 turns and then upgrade again later on to Noble Lords. Which you can then first upgrade with a Retinue and then into Bioengineered or Cybernetic Nobles and later on even both.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns: Emperor Wars (5/5)
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 01:33:30 pm »

One last thing we need to consider is the use of Universal Warehouses: yay or nay?

I personally vote yay since i am already overcumbered with figuring out what half the techs and units do even without trying to set up Trade Fleets.

Margrave

• Bay Watcher
  • ...You up for a little unsanctioned mining?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 03:35:23 pm »

Bioengineered or Cybernetic Nobles and later on even both.
WHAAAAAAAAAAT.

I'm torn for universal warehouse. On the one hand this would cut down significantly on micromanagement insuring turns won't turn into 1 hour time sinks (although they're liable to do so anyways).

On the other it would make blockades and starvation meaningless, especially now that we start off with more worlds to both manage and worry about. Who knows when keeping one House from access to biochems or gems or food could turn the tide in a war.

It's whether we want to cut out interesting features in exchange for massive (I mean massive) cut down on micro.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 12:23:17 am »

I've always liked playing with universal warehouse off. The only thing that really matters is ensuring that there's enough food for everybody, anyway.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13