Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192821 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1680 on: July 09, 2016, 05:23:29 pm »

Ehh, reasonably high granularity of results, not as cumbersome as rolling 2D10 as D100 or an actual D100.  Seems like a good die to base your mechanics off of to me, certainly less cumbersome than rolling ND10 or D6 and then counting successes and failures.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: July 09, 2016, 05:46:09 pm »

In my current game (NWoD) we're checking large amounts of d10s for being over a threshold, a threshold which is slightly different in certain cases.  Yeah, with physical dice, I would rather be using the d20 system.

Roll20 makes it easy though.  Heck last session we rolled like 200 4d10 rolls to see whether our dumbass gangrel could tear down a radio tower before the police arrived.

[[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]][[{4d10!}>8]]

Technology~
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: July 09, 2016, 05:59:42 pm »

I only play 'at the table' and I ban computers during sessions, so no silly rolling programs for me (or any of my players).

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: July 09, 2016, 06:10:35 pm »

And I agree it's important that a "tabletop" system be reasonably playable on a table-top.
Mostly because it's a fun, platonically intimate venue.
Also because I want the art to survive past the techpocalypse.  If it does happen.

But every Wednesday I will happily watch my friend conveniently roll 38 threshold dice 8 times.  Because technology does help, for now.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: July 09, 2016, 11:38:40 pm »

We use silly rolling programs at the table.GM is obligated to pull out his phone if someone happens to do 138d8 damage on a hit.
Otherwise, yeah, we roll.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: July 10, 2016, 12:00:51 am »

I love how Pathfinder and DND both worship the d20, such that the sites are d20psrd and d20srd.
I know there's a "d20 system" but from what I've heard that just means "A family of games which are basically DND.
Including Pathfinder.

D20 is a good die though

Basically, everything with vaugely 3.5 d&d rules was a d20 game.  And a few things that weren't quite (like True20).

The idea was that the d20 system had this Open Game License thing which meant a lot of companies could use the 3.5 D&D system/engine for whatever stuff they wanted (with some strings attached, I'm sure).  For a while it was quite a fad, and even some games had d20 alternatives, like star wars and world of darkness.  Nowadays I think only pathfinder is really left.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: July 10, 2016, 03:56:42 am »

Our group is strictly pencil and paper at our table, with technology only permitted to answer rules questions or look up items. It's also a point of friendly rivalry to see who has the best bling-bling dice at the table. Several of my group back a few Kickstarters for tricked out metal dice too, and are expecting to get their phat lootz soon-ish. My set of golden brass dice make a nice thud whenever I roll them too, and my players hate my d20 for the seemingly cruel tendency it has of rolling quite high results.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: July 10, 2016, 04:54:09 am »

I tend to use my own dice, they're not special but they are a nice green, for most rolls but I don't have many so big rolls tend to be done on the computer. I do try to ban computers from everyone but me while at the table and I only use it because I've got my notes there and there's an excellent spell list on a github site, I forget it's name but it's easy to find. I just bought all the 5e base books, no more DMing off of the SRD and free stuff online! The books are pretty good so far, I'm especially liking the DM's Guide.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: July 10, 2016, 09:37:53 am »

I was informed that golden dice have a tendency to slide on most surfaces.

Got a mate with some cool crystal-shaped dice though.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: July 11, 2016, 07:30:59 am »

I don't have a problem with my gold dice. If anything I prefer them over the plastic kind, since their weight means they don't bounce off the table as easily. Mine thud with the ominous weight of rocks falling and everyone dying, whereas my players' plastic dice bounce off the table like their attacks off the monsters' AC.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: July 11, 2016, 07:34:04 am »

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/dungeons-and-dragons-dice-gauntlet

I am actually frustrated that the vast majority of non-online GMs will outright refuse all forms of electronic dice.

Which only bugs me because... well... counting 10d6 dice is quite the feat... especially when you might have to do it several times in a round... and sometimes the dice will have dots and numbers

Where electronic dice can often do the rather insane dice rolls some games ask for (32d6 three times! No, not lying) and count it instantly.

There is kind of a reason why White Wolf uses the d10 "Only 8 or higher is a success" (or is it 7 and up?) and typically doesn't make you roll damage.

---

Ehhh I am only really frustrated because outside that my group would almost make fun of the fact that I am slow doing math in my head...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 07:38:17 am by Neonivek »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: July 11, 2016, 05:10:36 pm »

The best part of tabletop gaming is picking up a heaping handful of damage dice and cackling maniacally.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: July 11, 2016, 05:12:22 pm »

My players weep when facing a serious opponent and I only pick up one die.  This is because instead of rolling a stupid handful, I multiply for overkill.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: July 11, 2016, 06:20:04 pm »

The best part of tabletop gaming is picking up a heaping handful of damage dice and cackling maniacally.

Why else would you learn the fireball spell?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 131