Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192832 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1665 on: July 04, 2016, 03:22:40 am »

Huh, from the previous replies it seems as though I'm the only person here who doesn't bother with names and just calls their NPCs "Cloaked man who definitely won't betray you".

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: July 04, 2016, 05:32:41 am »

I have a sheet of first and last names organised roughly by race, and also a generic list of business names for random taverns, shops and so forth. The rest I just make up on the spot. For example, the last time I needed a name was for an NPC gnome alchemist, who ended up being called Tanstaafl Dilligaf.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: July 04, 2016, 05:59:19 am »

I mostly use names or words from less well known languages, British (non-English) and Gaelic (including Scottish), Norman and Anglo-Saxon (the older the less English sounding they get) ones in particular for medieval fantasy, either using them directly or as base for new ones. Other groups I often look at are Occitan and Catalan names, as well as Germanized and Latinized forms of west-Slavic names.

Since I got ck2 I've spent much time mulling over their name lists when naming my children in-game, so lately I've also come to use those lists a lot when deciding over names for other stuff. They're not super extensive but I think it helps to have the names listed side by side on the same page.
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: July 04, 2016, 07:21:22 am »

Huh, from the previous replies it seems as though I'm the only person here who doesn't bother with names and just calls their NPCs "Cloaked man who definitely won't betray you".

Generally the rule is the DM will come up with cool names, and then the players remember none of them and just call them "that elf" or "the guy with the eyepatch"
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: July 04, 2016, 07:23:45 am »

When I DM I ether take totally random names off the top of my head and end up with loosers named Gregory, or I look up the name in a random right seeming language and pick something that means roughly what they are. Demon disguised as a person? Find something that means hidden evil or whatever in the language that I arbitrarily decide sounds like what they sound like.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: July 04, 2016, 09:19:28 am »

This. Half of my quests are given by 'the dude with the fritalian accent'.
That being said, any NPC with an actual name usually just gets given a pisstake nickname anyway.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: July 05, 2016, 03:10:35 am »

Lately I've been using this site a lot to generate names. I like it because it has tons of different generators, so if you don't like the names generated for a certain race (I'm usually looking for a specific race since I play D&D), you can often use one from a different pop culture universe or one of the generic ones. Plus it has place names and stuff like that.

If that doesn't meet my needs I just look up "(specific race here) name generator" and can usually find something good.

If you just want random letter combinations, Springhole works well, and there's also Rinkworks, and Yafnag.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: July 05, 2016, 05:09:55 am »

Been checking out Raging Swan's GM's Miscellany series. So far I'm loving Wilderness Dressing and Urban Dressing. Can't wait to check out Dungeon Dressing tomorrow. I'm a sucker for adding flavor text and noncombat encounters to my game, and this really scratches that itch and cuts down on prep time each week.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: July 05, 2016, 07:34:49 pm »

Anyone here seen the Savage Worlds RIFTS The Tomorrow Legion Player's Guide? Thoughts? Anything there look promising?
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: July 05, 2016, 10:34:22 pm »

From the excerpts I've seen, they managed to make RIFTS even more of a clusterfuck.  How the hell do you even manage that?  It's not like Sembieda wasn't doing a good enough job on his own.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: July 07, 2016, 11:13:24 am »

From the excerpts I've seen, they managed to make RIFTS even more of a clusterfuck.  How the hell do you even manage that?  It's not like Sembieda wasn't doing a good enough job on his own.
How is that possible? Like, and this is being generous, 50 percent of Rifts clusterfuck is that its pladium. Is it from having to just stretch out Apoc World system to cover... kitchen sink of rifts?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: July 07, 2016, 06:10:21 pm »

Hey, if you play Apocalypse World, I made a custom playbook and posted it on the game's forums. They're a mite dead (appropriately enough), so I'm linking it here so more people can see it. Criticism and suggestions are welcomed.

At the same time, I'm thinking of starting up an Apocalypse World game. Would anyone be interested?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: July 07, 2016, 09:49:47 pm »

How is that possible? Like, and this is being generous, 50 percent of Rifts clusterfuck is that its pladium. Is it from having to just stretch out Apoc World system to cover... kitchen sink of rifts?

What I've seen the main problem is that there are implied rules that don't actually exist.  So it indicates that you should be handling something a specific way, but fails to actual explain the methodology it expects.  But since I have sworn off buying anything related to palladium and RIFTS I only have some excerpted text (from the intro, character creation, and the main rules) that may not be giving me enough to form a solid opinion.  That said, I have seen a lot of other Palladium players and RIFTERs who have the same sentiment, so I stand by this analysis.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: July 09, 2016, 03:23:01 pm »

Having issues with deciding between the Fate Core system, or Burning Wheel.

I like BW's stats, chats and funds better, but the one thing which is turning me off is that player characters never really start off more Special- they just start off more Old.
It's rather annoying all-told.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: July 09, 2016, 05:18:11 pm »

I love how Pathfinder and DND both worship the d20, such that the sites are d20psrd and d20srd.
I know there's a "d20 system" but from what I've heard that just means "A family of games which are basically DND.
Including Pathfinder.

D20 is a good die though
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 131