Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192936 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1425 on: January 27, 2016, 03:16:02 pm »

TL:DR of it is that some ShadowRun players filled water-guns full of chemicals and a compound that allowed chemicals to be absorbed through the skin, rather than whatever original contract method was.

It quickly became an arms race between the players and the GM to try and thwart the water-gun method/keep the water guns useful.

By Spoony. Some of his stories are great.

If only I knew about that back when I played Shadowrun.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: February 10, 2016, 12:57:37 am »

I just dm'ed the first session with a different group and I have to say that these guys might be better than my first group even though they've never played before. This may also be a result of the fact that I'm running a far less serious campaign and we have much shorter sessions, only 30-60 minutes, rather than several hours.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: February 11, 2016, 12:10:17 pm »

So, I recently started playing Pathfinder, and I need an advice:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: February 11, 2016, 12:25:35 pm »

Quote from: Combat Casting
You are adept at spellcasting when threatened or distracted.

Benefit: You get a +4 bonus on concentration checks made to cast a spell or use a spell-like ability when casting on the defensive or while grappled.

Quote from: Concentration Checks
When you make a concentration check, you roll d20 and add your caster level and the ability score modifier used to determine bonus spells of the same type.

Quote from: Casting Defensively
If you want to cast a spell without provoking any attacks of opportunity, you must make a concentration check (DC 15 + double the level of the spell you're casting) to succeed. You lose the spell if you fail.

Not completely necessary, just really good early game or for characters that do not have the best casting attribute. For example, an Inquisitor doesn't need an Wisdom higher than 16 to be able to access all their spells, since they only get up to level 6 spells.

You will probably need to cast on the defensive at some point, though. Just about every spellcaster will find themselves in such a situation at least once. Though again, it isn't 100% necessary to take; it just helps.

Full Arcane Spellcasters (able to cast spells level 0 to 9) typically won't be hurting for feats, since all they really need is their spells, and they don't have the Base Attack Bonus to be able to perform other forms of combat as effectively as other classes.

Clerics are still casters though. They get up to level 9 spells and all. They just have the Base Attack Bonus and Hitdie to be able to be more combat-like than full Arcane or Psychic casters.

And Magus is a funny one. It was a Hybrid class before they were cool.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: February 11, 2016, 12:31:58 pm »

Pathfinder advice, you say?

I wish to make a sniper-slayer who uses a firearm.

This whole build seems to revolve around Sniper's Goggles (Can make sneak attacks from >30ft), which'll be a cool 10k.

However the only decent sniper option I've found seems to be the Slayer.
Was wondering if there was an acceptable way to make a Rogue Unchained, Ninja or Gunslinger sniper with the same sort of sneak-attack mechanic dealio that my current idea has.

It's being a mild pain, I'll say that much.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: February 11, 2016, 12:34:17 pm »

I know about the feat; my problem is: "was it worth it to ignore everything about my story for this feat? Is this that important?" (A major part of it is that this wizard never fought anyone, and never wanted to; he was learning magic for different reasons, and he knows mainly support spells for now; later he will learn how to craft magical items).
It seems like this WAS something I should take early, but still, it looks like the GM just didn't care that much about roleplaying.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: February 11, 2016, 12:42:18 pm »

Yea, a lot of groups seem to care more about combat than roleplay. Or min-maxing skills high enough to bypass roleplay as quickly as possible.

It's a bit of a shame, since player-driven stories can be pretty good. There is even a line of Story Feats to drive the characters towards their respective goals, though completing the Story tasks is impossible without the DM's cooperation.

As for Sneak-Attacking, there is a Rogue Talent to increase the range by 10ft each time you take it, and the Sniper Archetype for the Slayer can always sneak attack while in their weapon's first range increment. The Rogue Sniper Archetype, on the other hand, loses Trap Sense to increase their SA range by 10ft at level 3 and every 3 levels after.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: February 11, 2016, 12:57:17 pm »

Weeeell. My guy's gonna start with a musket
|40ft|1d12|
And eventually move up to a double hackbut
|50ft|2d12|
As it's the best range you can get on an early firearm.
Doesn't really stack up to the 100ft of a longbow or 80-120ft of a crossbow sadly.

Also sniper's goggles:
"The wearer of these goggles can make ranged sneak attacks from any distance instead of the normal 30 feet." invalidates the rogue option a bit.
Which Sucks, as I'd really rather play an unchained rogue than a slayer.

(Fakeedit: Nevermind, someone else claimed rogue.)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 11, 2016, 01:33:55 pm »

Always sucks when two players get the same character idea.

Had a game with two Necromancers once. Another with two Maguses. And two Paladins.

Sometimes, people even pick the same Race. Less of an issue, so long as they aren't any of the special-snowflake/rare races.

I've always wanted to play a Skinwalker, but races with multiple variants are banned because you basically get to pick-and-choose your starting attribute bonuses with them. And the Skinwalker variant names are kinda cringey.

A few other races are banned as well. If they aren't in the Advanced Race Guide, they aren't allowed.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 01:36:13 pm by BlackFlyme »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 11, 2016, 01:52:10 pm »

TL:DR of it is that some ShadowRun players filled water-guns full of chemicals and a compound that allowed chemicals to be absorbed through the skin, rather than whatever original contract method was.

It quickly became an arms race between the players and the GM to try and thwart the water-gun method/keep the water guns useful.

Seems like a waste of the chemical. Better use would be to route it into the fire sprinklers, and then trigger them. As long as it only damages things like flesh, and not electronics, that would make for an incredibly easy run, after the part where you do that setup. Provided there aren't any knight errants in watertight armor, anyway.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 11, 2016, 02:06:24 pm »

Seems like a waste of the chemical. Better use would be to route it into the fire sprinklers, and then trigger them. As long as it only damages things like flesh, and not electronics, that would make for an incredibly easy run, after the part where you do that setup. Provided there aren't any knight errants in watertight armor, anyway.

later in the story, that happens. Corporations start adding chemicals to sprinklers to fight the players, among many other things.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 11, 2016, 02:49:19 pm »

later in the story, that happens. Corporations start adding chemicals to sprinklers to fight the players, among many other things.
At that point though, you might as well just use explosives for localized destruction. The sprinklers are useful to runners because they use existing infrastructure to get a wide spread of effect, but the corporation doesn't want a wide spread, which could cause needlessly costly damage. What's more, it's an unexpected move; much of its utility is that it's unexpected. It can be countered by a raincoat if it's coated in the right stuff (wax is a good bet) if you know it's coming.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 12, 2016, 12:03:57 am »

So, I recently started playing Pathfinder, and I need an advice:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sounds like your biggest problem is between the DM screen and the DM chair.

I would usually ask to speak with the DM privately or send him an email to discuss building your character. I'd say that I really didn't want to take this feat since it's not something that suits my character, and while I appreciate his (or her) help for new and inexperienced players, I understand the downsides of not picking that feat and I'm really okay with the risk. I'd point out that at the end of the day, the DM has veto rights on anything and everything in the game and absolute control over every aspect of the world and the challenges the party faces. By contrast, as a player you have only one thing you control: your character. You'd like to be able to express that control by building your character your own way, even if it's not the most logical or powerful way possible.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 12, 2016, 12:08:40 am »

If the DM's going by published Adventure Paths and Modules, you should be fine most of the time anyways.

Those are typically made with an expected party of four players who are inexperienced to somewhat experienced, and are not very optimized.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 12, 2016, 01:27:25 am »

Anyone interested in playing some boardgames through that of Tabletop Simulator???
I am cool with anything...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 131