Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194231 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1335 on: October 07, 2015, 03:46:51 pm »

The Joker is driven by irrational whims, and follows them for its own sake, not for gain.
Maybe him?
I don't think he feels quite right. Coyotes (As the faction is called) aren't really the same brand of crazy as him. The Joker kills a man cos he didn't like him. Coyote kill a man because they don't want him squirming about while they eat him.

The Harkonnens maybe?
This may be a bit old-school, but Leisure Suit Larry was recognizable at one point. If you're not sure what his base urge is, I'll tell you when you're older.
Meanwhile, both of these are fairly spot on. Vladimir Harkonnen is the perfect example of what I was thinking, even though they wouldn't look like a hideously fat floating spaceking, more like a grotesquely thin cannibal. Leisure Suit Larry seemed a little light, but it would be funny if he was presented as an example of a 'good' Coyote.

Hm, the Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth popped into my head as another reference point. If you chalk their appearance up to mutations and change their lair from a fairy's house to a bombed out hellhole, that kinda lines up.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 08, 2015, 12:15:24 am »

I'm trying to match popular fiction characters to three factions of NPCs in a post-apocalyptic setting. You know, so that the factions are easier to explain. What I got stuck on was coming up with a character that is utterly driven by base urges and will do anything to satisfy them.

Anyone got any ideas for fictional characters that fit that criteria?

The Duke of Blangis

NSFW
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 08, 2015, 11:07:53 am »

I just saw someone recommend skipping the questionnaire for Dread and just have the characters play themselves. This is an amazing idea for a one off Halloween campaign, I'll even set it locally, this is going to be great!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 09, 2015, 12:19:06 pm »

Been modding up people (miniatures) for a coreheim (mordheim- Warhammer RPG-edition) game, that's fun.
Also, doing terrain.

I've been trying to create a broken boat with warpstone (unobtanium) spilling out of the cargo hold, as though a freak lightning storm has teleported it a few hundred feet above some poor sod's house. (Probably not how warpstone works but whatever)

Unfortunately having issues figuring out how to make it "break right". Dropping it sounds like the easy solution, but I figure it won't come down like a real X-ton longboat would.
That's a thing, right? Shit doesn't break to scale?

Edit: doh. Real boats aren't matchsticks fixed with PVA
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 12:21:10 pm by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 09, 2015, 12:28:09 pm »

I saw these guys at a renfaire I went to last weekend. A sample came with the hair bow my wife purchased.

It seems like a cool idea to me but none of my campaigns last long enough for it to be worth purchasing any.

I will say the scents (at least the ones I smelled) are spot-on.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 09, 2015, 03:05:12 pm »

Unfortunately having issues figuring out how to make it "break right".

Do you have a clear idea of how you want it to look or are you still struggling to figure that out? Plenty of shipwrecks at google images for you to browse through if it's the latter.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 09, 2015, 06:55:45 pm »

Did they have any "average adventurer after fighting, bleeding, sweating, and sleeping in his armour for a fortnight" smell?
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 09, 2015, 07:29:21 pm »

Unfortunately having issues figuring out how to make it "break right".
Do you have a clear idea of how you want it to look or are you still struggling to figure that out? Plenty of shipwrecks at google images for you to browse through if it's the latter.
Unless someone in the past has decided to airdrop a ship onto land, I doubt I'll find one which gives me what I'm looking for.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 09, 2015, 08:58:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 10, 2015, 07:35:35 pm »

You could look at crashed planes, maybe that'll help a bit.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

strawberry-wine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:12 pm »

Has anyone played any interesting print-and-play tabletop games recently? I'm looking around for some good ones but don't know where to start  :-[

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 17, 2015, 01:11:19 pm »

I was in a comic book store today and I saw a book for Mouse Guard RPG, which seems to have a vaguely similar setting to Redwall. Has anyone played it? It looked pretty interesting.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1347 on: October 17, 2015, 01:16:07 pm »

I was in a comic book store today and I saw a book for Mouse Guard RPG, which seems to have a vaguely similar setting to Redwall. Has anyone played it? It looked pretty interesting.

I have! Alas, my experience was tainted by poor circumstances, players, and GM (don't ask how we got all of those at once), but it seems like it could be a lot of fun. Equally though, I got the impression (still not necessarily accurate) that there were a number of cool concepts that weren't properly fleshed out. As far as I recall, it also tends toward being heavier on roleplay than rules, but...

I wish I could give a more concrete analysis, but the couple of times I played it really were set up amazingly terribly.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 18, 2015, 03:47:46 am »

Has anyone played any interesting print-and-play tabletop games recently? I'm looking around for some good ones but don't know where to start  :-[

I listened to some podcasts, She's a Super Geek, about them and Doll by Ginger Goat Games and Witch House by Tao Games seemed pretty cool. Doll does cost money though.

Anyway, I played my first game of D&D recently! My parents took a little convincing but let me go over to a friend's house and play there. I played an extremely incompetent Wizard and running away was very satisfying.  :P

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: October 18, 2015, 03:56:15 am »

Does Risus fit your criteria?
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 131