Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194195 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1290 on: September 15, 2015, 08:22:44 am »

My latest obsession is RuneQuest (of the Mongoose variety as it's the most likely of the lot to be found in the three local Half Price Books and the used game shop).

I think I'm doing it wrong. I ran one adventure using my general system of choice (GURPS) but it's a little complicated for a newbie GM to teach to four people who have never heard of it.

I wanted something easier so, in my brilliance, I decided to read the Ars Magica books a coworker gave me. The one-shot adventure I read said character creation would take four hours and you should instead use thirty minutes to hand out and explain the packaged pre-gens. I finally decided to move on when I realized that everyone probably doesn't want to play a mage and everyone probably doesn't want to have to create multiple characters.

That brings me to RuneQuest. I finally picked up the core book after buying about eight others. I haven't given it a cover-to-cover reading yet (I'm in the process) but it should be just close enough to D&D for them to be somewhat comfortable - stats are mostly 4d6b3, except for Int and Size (2d6+3 but I'll probably do 3d6b2 + 3 just to keep with the roll and keep theme), a big equipment list, and two books of monsters that I've found thus far. The only sticking point I've found thus far might be character advancement being skill-based. I'm not sure if base attributes can ever be raised and I don't think characters can ever gain more hit points.

But hey, the character sheets look nice and will likely force me to throw out my multifunction inkjet and get a laser printer of some type.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: September 15, 2015, 09:25:07 am »

Well *someone* has to clean up the blood.
Viscera Cleanup Maid Detail RPG when?

When I finish reading the rules and make up the scenario, that's when.

EDIT: You know, I probably shouldn't be so surprised that Maid RPG is so fetishistic. Yet at the same time I am.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:31:11 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: September 15, 2015, 09:39:52 am »

I think I'm going to start a Fate "mini-campaign" with some friends ripping off the setting of either the X-Universe or Star Control II.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: September 15, 2015, 10:29:36 am »

Cut to now, we find out that she had ignored all of it, and basically just rewritten the plot so that the NPC she'd spent the game hitting on (very old lich, very uninterested) falls in love with her toon and they happily forever after.

Wait, were you playing Toon?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: September 15, 2015, 10:37:26 am »

Cut to now, we find out that she had ignored all of it, and basically just rewritten the plot so that the NPC she'd spent the game hitting on (very old lich, very uninterested) falls in love with her toon and they happily forever after.

More generally, toon is sometimes used to refer to a player character of any system. No, I don't know why.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: September 15, 2015, 10:38:54 am »

Yeah... Not sure where that slang came from. Feeling kinda self-conscious about it. I don't even play WoW.

But no I was playing Pathfinder.

I think I'm going to start a Fate "mini-campaign" with some friends ripping off the setting of either the X-Universe or Star Control II.
Also thinking of trying out a Fate game based on the Witcher, or the Discworld series.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 10:40:54 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: September 15, 2015, 10:40:11 am »

...Any chance it's a Play-by-Post?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: September 15, 2015, 11:04:08 am »

Star Control 2 has such a great setting.  I would try to do something with it but I know I wouldn't do it justice.  I wonder if anyone else has...
... Well, there's Zarla's fanfics and art, but they're mostly quite silly.  Though she did add some depth to the VUX.  Better than what SC3 did with them.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: September 16, 2015, 12:38:44 am »

Heck, if I do SC2 I'm going to rip the entire story verbatim. Well, the "goals" or whatever. I'm pretty confident none of the possible players have played it.
It would be open ended tho, not a laundry list of 100 things that must be done.

I'm not completely sure they're game for a scifi game tho. I think they're more into D&D and Vampire.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: September 16, 2015, 07:21:30 am »

So a few weeks ago there was a big hubbub on the rpg.net forums about a little ebook called "Tournament of Rapists" on DriveThruRPG.com. It has since been pulled by the publisher.

And now there's a mysterious bundle up for $25 with no explanation - the RAINN RPG bundle - with all proceeds going to the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network.

At about the same time, they put up the RAINN Fiction bundle and RAINN Comic bundle but those aren't really tabletop-related.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 01:08:04 pm by Mephisto »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: September 16, 2015, 12:59:27 pm »

Is it still available elsewhere
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: September 16, 2015, 01:12:37 pm »

All signs point to no, but Black Tokyo (the game it's a supplement for) is still up.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: September 16, 2015, 01:40:24 pm »

More generally, toon is sometimes used to refer to a player character of any system. No, I don't know why.

I've not encountered that before
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: September 20, 2015, 03:06:45 pm »

Heck, if I do SC2 I'm going to rip the entire story verbatim. Well, the "goals" or whatever. I'm pretty confident none of the possible players have played it.
It would be open ended tho, not a laundry list of 100 things that must be done.

I'm not completely sure they're game for a scifi game tho. I think they're more into D&D and Vampire.

I have decided I will go ahead with a Star Control II campaign despite of my table's setting preferences, but I will adjust it to match the genre, so if they're dead set on a swords & sorcery campaign I'll just pretend they're fantasy races and the galaxy is an ocean with islands/continents and I'll figure out the tech as some combination of gnomish inventions and magick. This could actually turn out pretty fun.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: September 20, 2015, 03:08:03 pm »

Could do magic space travel Spelljammer style.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 131