Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194096 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1125 on: June 19, 2015, 02:22:20 pm »

There are some fundamental mechanical changes, I think. It might be tricky.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:00 pm »

5th edition is a lot more compatible with 3rd, right?  4th did a lot of mechanics very differently, for better or worse.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 19, 2015, 02:47:58 pm »

Yes, I think 4th Ed is the most different from the others, and 3rd and 5th the most alike. In general I think 4th Ed would be fairly hard to convert to any of the others.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1128 on: June 19, 2015, 03:13:54 pm »

5e is more like 3.5e, but it has elements of 4e, like not needing to prepare cantrips. I'm with scriver on the conversion.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 19, 2015, 05:49:14 pm »

on the internet nobody knows youre a magic card
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 19, 2015, 06:03:34 pm »

I will still never forgive Magic the Gathering for changing the concept of Demons. I loved their old theme but ohh well :P (I am exaggerating about never forgiving).

---

I really want to play 5th edition but it is surprisingly hard to find or run a game.

5th Ed is right now VERY early level / Late Level heavy... Basically the range of level 6-14 are barren.

Mind you it is great that they actually decided to support the low levels as much as they do (A lot of the time it feels like 3.5 was meant to start at level 5 or 10)

But I've probably never looked at a first edition monster manual and felt so unequipped to run a game. THEN AGAIN the monster manual might as well be the adventure path monster manual.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 19, 2015, 06:38:37 pm »

But I've probably never looked at a first edition monster manual and felt so unequipped to run a game. THEN AGAIN the monster manual might as well be the adventure path monster manual.
Couldn't you use monsters from 3.5 or 4? The monster manual is just basically stat sheets for monsters, right, I wouldn't think there'd be any huge differences between editions for monster stats.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 19, 2015, 06:56:21 pm »

Couldn't you use monsters from 3.5 or 4? The monster manual is just basically stat sheets for monsters, right, I wouldn't think there'd be any huge differences between editions for monster stats.

5th edition is drastically different. You might as well just make your own monsters for 5th edition. Which frankly I'd love to show everyone my creations.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 19, 2015, 07:13:54 pm »

Double post. Does it matter if I mix DnD versions? I'm finding cheap rulebooks and stuff that may be either 3e or 4e. If it's not worth it I won't waste money. Opinions?
Even if the rules don't match up, older rulebooks can be useful because they often contain setting information and cool ideas that didn't make the transfer to newer editions. I don't know 4e faired as far as setting information since I only own a couple of books and only skimmed through a few others, but the books I own tend to be filled with a lot more rules than flavor (though I don't have any setting-specific books).

Regardless of what edition you're going for, it's a good idea to do a little online research to get a feel for if they're any good or not.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 19, 2015, 07:20:01 pm »

In other tabletop game news: are you ready for Mr Bones' Wild Ride?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 20, 2015, 07:14:29 pm »

Another thing I have to praise 5e for right now

Is that so far after reading the monster manual it has done a good job at trying to make sure that as the CR goes up that monsters actually do feel, with some notable exception, like they are getting more epic.

I kind of hope that trend continues.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 20, 2015, 07:32:53 pm »

So I've really gotten into deckbuilders. Are there any really good deck builders I should keep an eye on? I would enjoy something for 2+ players with a fantasy theme but I'm up for anything. Just figured this'd be an okay place to ask.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 20, 2015, 07:49:57 pm »

So I've really gotten into deckbuilders. Are there any really good deck builders I should keep an eye on? I would enjoy something for 2+ players with a fantasy theme but I'm up for anything. Just figured this'd be an okay place to ask.
I wish I could help but I never really understood what anyone means when they say a Deck Building game rather than just a card game.  I think Magic the Gathering counts?
Or you could just play Catan  :P

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 20, 2015, 07:56:31 pm »

I never cared much for Settlers of Catan... it was okay but didn't grip me. I also don't want a trading card game because, well, power creep happens and it's all very dull to me.

Deckbuilders are things like Dominion or Star Realms.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 20, 2015, 08:27:17 pm »

Games where you build the deck in the middle of the match?
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 131