Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194066 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1110 on: June 12, 2015, 03:44:59 pm »

Emanation, not spread.  As for the meta, that kind of silliness would definitely be blocked at my table (especially a feat/spell that could mysteriously negate the basic function of an AMF, likewise I don't allow most supplements, they're terrible), and repeating it would get you booted from my group.
Rats, my memory was off. Still, that's a bit worse for the AMF, though, since it also means it doesn't go around corners (fiddling with the base of the cone is thus probably unnecessary as long as you wear sufficiently tall shoes).

I, too, would either disallow that sort of nonsense from happening or warn the player that they're breaking the Gentleman's Agreement and can expect similar horseshit to be used by the antagonists. Depends on the type of game and the players; in the right context that sort of one-upsmanship can generate a pretty fun game, but it's not the sort of thing that works well if one player is trying to force it on everyone else for shits and giggles (even if that player is the DM). So a responsible DM does have to prevent it if it should crop up that way.

Although, many supplements are actually better-balanced than Core because the devs knew what the hell they were doing toward the end. You'll note that the Cone of Anti-Anti-Magic is Core-Only horseshit. There are valid power reasons for banning them, but they have more to do with the fact that any widening of the field of options makes it likelier that two things will interact in ways the designers never expected to do something stupid than with any inherent awfulness of splatbooks. Still, I've never had to deal with a situation where it was easier to ban a splatbook than an asshole.

The biggest problem with using AMF against wizards is that it's a spell, meaning that non-magic characters actually cannot use it, barring magical scrolls/items. Also, as it is a spell, nothing prevents the wizard from casting it first and using some metamagic to exclude himself from the area-of-effect...
I wouldn't say that's the biggest problem, but it certainly is one. :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: June 12, 2015, 04:43:25 pm »

Nobody mentioned how much an adamantium hat would weigh.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: June 12, 2015, 04:46:39 pm »

Just send a Nishruu after them
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: June 12, 2015, 05:01:01 pm »

Very little, actually. 1/4096th of its normal weight, assuming the clothlike composition doesn't change its weight at all. Assuming it weighs 10 pounds, and Adamantine is as dense as gold for some reason, you wind up with about 33 cubic feet of metal to work with. So you can get a cone of metal that's 7 feet tall with a 5 foot diameter base and is 6 inches thick and still have some room to work. Of course the shrunken cone is less than 6 inches tall, so to achieve proper wizard fashion you might have to sew it onto the tip of a mundane hat.

It's so stupid.

EDIT: I did the volume calculation on the cone wrong, the Adamantine could actually be twice as dense as gold and it'd still work.

EDIT: A 10 pound hat would be a huge pain in the neck though.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 05:03:38 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: June 12, 2015, 05:43:59 pm »

Just cast Feather Fall on the hat :v
Love, scriver~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: June 12, 2015, 08:52:00 pm »

Wait, DF adamantium, D&D adamantium, or Marvel Comics adamantium?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: June 12, 2015, 09:16:21 pm »

Im guessing D&D
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: June 14, 2015, 04:44:13 am »

New D&D 5e Unearthed Arcana. It's rather underwhelming.
In more interesting news, Errata for the 5e PHB and basic rules has been released.
Edit: Also, D&D for kids is so cute. Critical DAW!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:55:36 am by My Name is Immaterial »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: June 14, 2015, 12:52:06 pm »

Just curious: how do some people come up with their character's back-stories?

My DM wants us to come up with stories for our characters, but I can't quite figure out how my character could have gotten to where he his.
I just copy characters that I've had in succession games.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: June 14, 2015, 05:24:35 pm »

Thinking to start a Call of Cthulhu game.

But... when you get a mental disease, it's on a card stuck to your forehead like in celebrities.

There are no bonus points for guessing it. Only more clarity on your hopelessness.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 14, 2015, 05:44:39 pm »

Thinking to start a Call of Cthulhu game.

But... when you get a mental disease, it's on a card stuck to your forehead like in celebrities.

There are no bonus points for guessing it. Only more clarity on your hopelessness.
Call of Cthulhu game on the forums? I'd be up for trying that.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 19, 2015, 01:30:46 pm »

Double post. Does it matter if I mix DnD versions? I'm finding cheap rulebooks and stuff that may be either 3e or 4e. If it's not worth it I won't waste money. Opinions?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 01:48:41 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 19, 2015, 01:41:13 pm »

Is that like indian head poker?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: June 19, 2015, 01:53:18 pm »

Double post. Does it matter if I mix DnD versions? I'm finding cheap rulebooks and stuff that may be either 3e or 4e. If it's not worth it I won't waste money. Opinions?
I mean I usually mix and match stuff, but sometimes I do need to plan things ahead if things like spells and magic items start to conflict with each other and the rules.  Other times though I can improv and it (usually) turns out OK.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: June 19, 2015, 01:58:43 pm »

They're not the same system, although you can implement 3e in 4e and vice versa.

Also 4e... don't.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 131