Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194092 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #975 on: May 24, 2015, 06:02:06 pm »

I am going to forgo my "stay away" mostly because for once... this thread is staying on topic and not delving into card games all of a sudden.

+3 Mithril chainshirt has

21 Hardness 50 hp

A Magic Necklace... is better to be considered to have 10 hardness and 5 hp

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 24, 2015, 06:02:56 pm »

A chainmail shirt starts with hardness 10 and 20 HP. It being made of mythril gives it a hardness of 15.

Each point of enhancement bonus gives it +2 hardness and +10 HP.
So it'd have 21 hardness and 50HP for a chain shirt +3.

----

The material something is made of gives it stats based on it's thickness.
You can find tables for it here.
Equipment like chain shirts and so on have the stats already given. You can find them on the srds (legally).  No doubt they're in the books, too.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 24, 2015, 06:05:56 pm »

MIND YOU!

Just to chime in

Energy attacks get divided by 2 before they apply to hardness... UNLESS the material has a specific vulnerability to it.

So the acid damage by the ooze would get halfed against the object.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 24, 2015, 06:21:53 pm »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:10:04 pm by penguinofhonor »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 24, 2015, 06:28:10 pm »

Thanks for the help, guys!
I think I understand it better now.  I also forgot that he's a huge nonhuman creature, which probably explains the 100+30 HP instead of 20+30.
The hardness being based on thickness just confused me, like we were supposed to determine hardness from thickness.  It's probably intended to be the opposite.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 24, 2015, 06:29:56 pm »

I dunno.

Quote from: Black pudding
Acid (Ex): The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed on DC 21 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a black pudding also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 21 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.
The pudding’s acidic touch deals 21 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Odd number to split in half then if they intended the damage to be halved.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 24, 2015, 09:52:21 pm »

Well to admit the description does say it dissolves metal and organic material quickly.

You can interpret it as to mean it is a special acid that doesn't get split in half.

Or you can interpret it to mean that it does 10.5 damage when split in half... meaning that it does 1 damage to metal for every full round it is in contact... but magic weapons are immune.

There are a few monsters where everything just boils down to "It is up to the DM" and this is one of them. (The Mimic is another example)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 10:10:48 pm by Neonivek »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 25, 2015, 04:42:12 am »

Acid and (fire|sonic) damage are specifically not halved when dealing damage to objects, and cold damage deals quarter damage in 3.5e

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 25, 2015, 12:18:33 pm »

I always love these simplified damage measurements for acid.

(I guess an actual evaluation of acid resistence would be too nerdy for pen and paper types. You know, evaluating what kind of acid it is for its ion exchange capacity, the number of valences not filled in the acidic solution, the concentration of the solution, and the electronegativity of the substance being damaged... because that's how you REALLY determine acid damage rates IRL.  I understand this is a game, but it's a game that already uses tortured rules and tables and charts. A simple chart can render this problem into an easy damage lookup, based on some features of the event. But no, we have magic acid that never gets saturated, and can eat anything, no matter what.)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 25, 2015, 12:44:18 pm »

Pen and paper RPGs were not meant for people with knowledge of physics or mathematics, and weren't designed by them, too.

Just take a look at repeated failure of 4e devs to fix up the infamous Skill Challenge rules, and you'll see that, too.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 25, 2015, 12:51:14 pm »

One more reason I think I should sit down some day and create my own Pen and Paper rule set. Something SANE, that avoids handwavery dumb.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #986 on: May 25, 2015, 12:52:52 pm »

The thing is, adding organ damage would be another roll or two on successful attacks and a table of results. Encumbrance could also relatively easily be changed so that you can carry more if it's spread out, as dictated by a table. Nearly everything could be made more complicated, but at the end of the day it's a game and simplifications are inevitable. Especially since combat already takes hours.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 25, 2015, 12:53:34 pm »

They make realistic systems...

Just don't expect to have too much fun.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 25, 2015, 12:53:46 pm »

Pen and paper RPGs were not meant for people with knowledge of physics or mathematics, and weren't designed by them, too.
Well, for the most part. There are some companies who's designers have then left the TRPG to become rocket scientists. Or well, there's at least one company that did so. I'd still like to get my hands on a copy of Phoenix command or Living Steel just to see what people were talking about, but I'm not sure how many books survived or if the shipping would be worth it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: May 25, 2015, 12:53:51 pm »

The thing is, adding organ damage would be another roll or two on successful attacks and a table of results.
See: FATAL :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 131