Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194164 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #885 on: May 06, 2015, 04:24:41 pm »

If you're trying to use Lighting Mace with scimitars everyone at the table should be smacking you with rolled up newspaper. The feat explicitly states:

Whenever you roll a threat on an attack roll while using a light mace in each hand, you gain an additional attack at that same attack bonus.

The limiting factor on the feat is that you have to dual-wield light maces, which are less than impressive with their 20/x2 critical. It's already dangerous enough in a critmaster build even when it forces you to use a weapon that isn't good for crits. If your DM intentionally houseruled it so that you could use it with whatever, they deserve to be overrun by a swarm of munchkinlings because that's fucking stupid. :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 06, 2015, 04:40:22 pm »

I know, it's crazy...  My DM insisted that Warblade's level 1 Weapon Aptitude ability lets it work.  And I think he's right:
You also have the flexibility to adjust your weapon training.
Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice
to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that
applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus). You
must have the newly designated weapon available during
your practice session to make this change.

It's clearly meant for fighter bonus feats like Weapon Focus and Specialization, but...  Yeah.  This book is crazy, huh?  Not taking anything from it this time around, character is complicated enough already.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 06, 2015, 05:07:54 pm »

Swashbuckler might be one of the best Rogue Archetypes: "You can use Sneak Attack with any melee attack made against a target that has none of your allies adjacent to it." Can you say 'OP'?

Well, rules say Rogues normally sneak attack anyone within 5' of an ally, so if this is a replacement, it means you have to solo, while vanilla rogue "flanks". I don't think the number of viable targets for each case is too different. (except in the case of the Swashbuckler, he's most probably going to have to "tank" its target as well).

EDIT: actually NVM since this doesn't replace the regular Sneak, but since Rogues probably anyway sneak attack every round regardless. This just means the SB *can* solo if he wants and still gets the bonus. He loses the abilities of the alternative Archetypes - Thiefs is mostly utility, but the Assassin can auto-critical at least once every battle (if he isn't the last in initiative) with advantage at 3rd level.

Can't rogues only sneak attack once per turn? Swashbucklers get to add sneak attack to every attack. meaning at least two per turn, as any buccaneer with any sense of self worth would be dual-wielding.
Love, scriver~

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 06, 2015, 05:34:20 pm »

I know, it's crazy...  My DM insisted that Warblade's level 1 Weapon Aptitude ability lets it work.  And I think he's right:
You also have the flexibility to adjust your weapon training.
Each morning, you can spend 1 hour in weapon practice
to change the designated weapon for any feat you have that
applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus). You
must have the newly designated weapon available during
your practice session to make this change.

It's clearly meant for fighter bonus feats like Weapon Focus and Specialization, but...  Yeah.  This book is crazy, huh?  Not taking anything from it this time around, character is complicated enough already.

See, I'd parse those lines to specifically refer to the Focus and Specialization trees both because they reference weapon training (which is explicitly what those feats are -- you've spend so much time working with that one weapon type that you're flat out better with it), and because they specify the "designated weapon". You designate a weapon when you pick Weapon Focus (Soup Ladle) or whatever, when the RAW say "Choose one type of weapon". Lightning Mace doesn't let you designate a weapon, it flat out tells you that you only get to use one weapon type.

It's like Weapon Finesse: having that feature doesn't mean that you can spend an hour training and then apply your Dex to attacks with a Fullblade. Could someone suddenly be able to use Deflect Arrows while dual-wielding daggers? Use Crossbow Sniper with a non-crossbow ranged weapon? Improved Natural Strike applied to manufactured weapons or Unarmed Strikes? Vae School for a weapon that isn't a whip or spiked chain?

So on and so forth. We've got a decent selection of feats that apply specifically to one type of weapon or attack which is not determined by the player, but by the author of the feat. I mean, if the DM's going to just shrug and let people go crazy, have fun with it, but I'd sure as hell not allow it.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 06, 2015, 06:08:06 pm »

Swashbuckler might be one of the best Rogue Archetypes: "You can use Sneak Attack with any melee attack made against a target that has none of your allies adjacent to it." Can you say 'OP'?

Well, rules say Rogues normally sneak attack anyone within 5' of an ally, so if this is a replacement, it means you have to solo, while vanilla rogue "flanks". I don't think the number of viable targets for each case is too different. (except in the case of the Swashbuckler, he's most probably going to have to "tank" its target as well).

EDIT: actually NVM since this doesn't replace the regular Sneak, but since Rogues probably anyway sneak attack every round regardless. This just means the SB *can* solo if he wants and still gets the bonus. He loses the abilities of the alternative Archetypes - Thiefs is mostly utility, but the Assassin can auto-critical at least once every battle (if he isn't the last in initiative) with advantage at 3rd level.

Can't rogues only sneak attack once per turn? Swashbucklers get to add sneak attack to every attack. meaning at least two per turn, as any buccaneer with any sense of self worth would be dual-wielding.
I've downloaded the PDF for that, and I don't see any reference that seems to imply that they can Sneak Attack more than once a round. Having two attacks just gives them more opportunity to get sneak attack in (in case they miss with an attack).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 06, 2015, 06:53:31 pm »

I've downloaded the PDF for that, and I don't see any reference that seems to imply that they can Sneak Attack more than once a round. Having two attacks just gives them more opportunity to get sneak attack in (in case they miss with an attack).
The wording is "any attack", not "every attack". I think that my over hyping led to some confusion.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 07, 2015, 12:31:11 am »

Any/every, what's the difference? :P
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 07, 2015, 12:32:53 am »

Any/every, what's the difference? :P
"I can kill anyone" vs "I can kill everyone" :P
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 07, 2015, 12:59:40 am »

I thought rogues could sneak attack as much as they have stabby-for.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: May 07, 2015, 01:02:04 am »

I thought rogues could sneak attack as much as they have stabby-for.
Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d6 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: May 07, 2015, 01:17:41 am »

Ah. Was thinking of 3.5 and pathfinder, which do allow many times a turn.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: May 07, 2015, 01:21:46 am »

That's a confusion that I've been noticing.

Should we put 5e/3.5 tags at the top of our posts? :P

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: May 07, 2015, 01:44:43 am »

RE: 5e

Seems to me that it just replaces the condition that the enemy needs to be adjacent to another one of my allies. It could conceivably be interpreted as replacing also the condition that it can only be done once, but that seems like a stretch to me.

Just in case, the Rogue is already balanced on the assumption that you can Sneak Attack every round, vs. pretty much every other class that gets extra attacks instead and using bigger swords. So, the Swashbuckler is just more fighty than the regular Rogue, with the restriction that it needs to be finesse and a single attack to the vitals or whatever. But the damage is about the same.

That's a confusion that I've been noticing.

Should we put 5e/3.5 tags at the top of our posts? :P

Well it would be nice since this is a general Tabletop thread and not just D&D, so very often people start suddenly talking about MtG or 5th Edition or whatever.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 01:46:25 am by Sergius »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: May 07, 2015, 02:58:56 am »

Yeah. Though having a Warhammer thread seems to have shooed out most of the wargamers, so that's something.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: May 07, 2015, 03:17:39 am »

I hate to segregate the games, but should we make a 5e thread?
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 131