Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194217 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #795 on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:05 pm »

Is there anyone within the European timezone that would be interested in online roleplaying?
I've got the itch for some IRC/roll20 style RP, but fooling around with timezones is difficult.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 15, 2015, 02:38:26 pm »

Is there anyone within the European timezone that would be interested in online roleplaying?
I've got the itch for some IRC/roll20 style RP, but fooling around with timezones is difficult.
Maybe, yeah.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 15, 2015, 02:52:14 pm »

BFEL has a hilarious idea in his head for a Call of Cthulu character.

The idea is a senile little old lady who was the head of the Illuminati or somesuch. She spends her days crocheting in her house built on top of a portal to hell that is barely kept at bay by slowly failing magic wards. She is introduced to the party by inviting them in for a cup of tea, then taking them to her basement to fetch one of the several hundred macguffins she stores, and casually banishes a Shoggoth while doing so. She then forgets what she was doing, and invites them upstairs for tea.

Basically, she is the closest thing the setting would have to a Big Good, and everything she worked for is about to be destroyed by sheer old age and her failing memory.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 15, 2015, 02:54:09 pm »

If this is about what I think it is, definitely.
Even if not, still probably interested.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 15, 2015, 03:22:45 pm »

Colour me a interested. Times and exams permitting ofc.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 15, 2015, 04:22:50 pm »

Colour me a interested. Times and exams permitting ofc.
If this is about what I think it is, definitely.
Even if not, still probably interested.
Maybe, yeah.
Sweet! I'll PM you guys in a bit about what kind of RP would be your gig. I have a few ideas...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 15, 2015, 08:42:26 pm »

I'm in Europe and interested. I think ultimuh might he interested too.

Edit: We've discussed the lack of Europe zoned games before, you see ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:15:17 pm by scriver »
Love, scriver~

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 16, 2015, 08:38:45 am »

I am on the eastern coast of canada and would be interested, time zones should work for me mostly.
Nom nom nom

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 16, 2015, 12:12:56 pm »

I'm in Europe and interested. I think ultimuh might he interested too.

Edit: We've discussed the lack of Europe zoned games before, you see ;)

Yeah I might be interested.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 16, 2015, 05:58:03 pm »

Idle question: Is it possible (and if so, what would it take) for a DnD character to achieve self-powered flight by spinning something like an oversized mithral two-bladed sword over their head at a sufficiently high and stable speed? What would work best as a rudder, apart from the obvious mithral greatsword clenched between their legs?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 16, 2015, 06:04:30 pm »

Well, helicopters need a tail rotor to counteract the spin of the main rotor. So he'd need to swing another one with his shins or something.

There's nothing in the rules for it and it seems unlikely it'd be possible physically.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 16, 2015, 07:04:42 pm »

"Need" is such a strong word. It's a hell of a lot harder to fly, and you can't turn, take off, or land easily, but you can manage it as long as you have some degree of pitch in the direction you want to go.

That, and unlike a real helicopter the blade isn't actually connected to the character. Their STR and DEX is at whatever arbitrarily high number would be necessary to do

this overhead
There's nothing in the rules for it and it seems unlikely it'd be possible physically.
[/quote]
"There is only RAW, it is impossible to extrapolate further values from the existing (and surprisingly accurate) measurements which are in the rules."

Also, "possible physically"? You're aware that past 4th-5th level or so PCs are literally superhuman, right? By 20th level they exceed just about every fictional character you can think of, including a number of gods. It's at the root of why the scaling is so broken: they used realistic measurements and feats for baseline humans to determine... what baseline humans could do. An average of 10 in ability scores is a vanilla human; a 1st-2nd level PC is already in the top 1% of human capabilities if they've got a decent point spread, even Elite Array. People like to talk about how D&D is so unrealistic &c. at high level play... but that's sort of the point. It's wrong to think of high level adventurers as mortals, because they effectively aren't; Epic-level PCs would fit into Exalted without too much difficulty.

3. Run Resize Enable

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 16, 2015, 09:05:18 pm »

Also, the only reason helicopters need tail rotors is because of conservation of angular momentum.  Spin the rotor without generating angular momentum, and you don't need tail rotors or contra-rotating propellers. 

In other words, mount decanter of infinite water rockets on each end of a 10' pole carved so that it'll generate lift once in motion (or a sword, if you really want, though a sword shaped to generate lift might not be as effective for actually fighting).  Use that as the helicopter blade.  Be prepared to be whacked by the DMG. ^_^
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:07:59 pm by Culise »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 16, 2015, 09:08:27 pm »

It ain't possible within the rules because the rules don't include rules for lift. So basically yeah, as long as you can convince your DM.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 17, 2015, 08:55:47 am »

Also, the only reason helicopters need tail rotors is because of conservation of angular momentum.  Spin the rotor without generating angular momentum, and you don't need tail rotors or contra-rotating propellers. 

In other words, mount decanter of infinite water rockets on each end of a 10' pole carved so that it'll generate lift once in motion (or a sword, if you really want, though a sword shaped to generate lift might not be as effective for actually fighting).  Use that as the helicopter blade.  Be prepared to be whacked by the DMG. ^_^

Well that goes without saying.  :P

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 131