Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192702 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 14, 2015, 03:19:59 pm »

So I just learned about the Hand of Vecna, and it gave me inspiration for an interesting character concept.

Speaking of Vecna, read up on the Head of Vecna. You might get a chuckle and/or some ideas out of it.

Unrelated, would anyone be interested in (or know of) something like Discogs for RPGs? After posting my haul a short while ago and spending another $(too much) on old games today (yay/boo Half Price Books), I think I might need to start categorizing them.

Turns out rpg.net does this.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:28:27 pm by Mephisto »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: February 14, 2015, 03:27:43 pm »

Already saw it, that's funny stuff.

...wish I actually had a group to play this stuff with :(
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: February 14, 2015, 03:55:04 pm »

Reminds me of stories from an Australian indie RPG from the 1980's called Hunter Planet. That had some some awesome modules, the basis of the game was that the PCs were aliens who've descended to Earth to hunt the natives.

It had a very high mortality rate of PCs, since it was all based around dangerous Earth animals, even more dengerous highly armed Earth locals, and the aliens not knowing how to operate simple Earth technology, like doorknobs. One tournament I remember reading about in a review, the aliens came across a door:

"I open the door" => "you don't know how to do that!"
"I look at the door" => "it has a round knob"
"I turn the knob" => "nothing happens"
"I push the door" => "nothing happens"
etc,etc

later it was revealed to the players that to open the door they should have turned the knob AND push the door at the same time. Yeah, so the games humor was based on the DM being the most literal prick DM of all time.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: February 14, 2015, 04:17:42 pm »

~realism~

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2015, 04:28:39 pm »

Reminds me of stories from an Australian indie RPG from the 1980's called Hunter Planet. That had some some awesome modules, the basis of the game was that the PCs were aliens who've descended to Earth to hunt the natives.

It had a very high mortality rate of PCs, since it was all based around dangerous Earth animals, even more dengerous highly armed Earth locals, and the aliens not knowing how to operate simple Earth technology, like doorknobs. One tournament I remember reading about in a review, the aliens came across a door:

"I open the door" => "you don't know how to do that!"
"I look at the door" => "it has a round knob"
"I turn the knob" => "nothing happens"
"I push the door" => "nothing happens"
etc,etc

later it was revealed to the players that to open the door they should have turned the knob AND push the door at the same time. Yeah, so the games humor was based on the DM being the most literal prick DM of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spagPS2VVXo#t=04m58s
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: February 15, 2015, 03:45:09 am »

Speaking of Vecna, read up on the Head of Vecna. You might get a chuckle and/or some ideas out of it.
Beat me to it. I loved that gag.

My Friday night Pathfinder went smashingly! We clobbered some skeletons, disabled some traps, looted some ancient temples and even fought a choker! It didn't last long when a Color Spray left it blinded and stunned for 4 rounds.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:46 am »

Creation of a World

I'm doing a forum game here where the idea is that everyone chips in to create the world and then we make a West Marches / Pathfinder Society style game where we have several GMs all choosing to run their own game in the same setting. Taking on people for the roll of the Titans, the big movers and shakers of the world.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: February 15, 2015, 09:46:19 am »

Be very careful with the titans part. From my experience, any cooperative worldbuilding can be buggered over by a couple of people who have differing views on how the world should end up. Then again, I could just have got unlucky player-wise.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: February 15, 2015, 10:03:24 am »

Be very careful with the titans part. From my experience, any cooperative worldbuilding can be buggered over by a couple of people who have differing views on how the world should end up. Then again, I could just have got unlucky player-wise.

It's the main reason I'm functioning as a GM instead of as a player. I want to encourage antagonistic play.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: February 15, 2015, 12:08:16 pm »

Whilst that's all well and good, it might well end up with a world too chaotic even for a good campaign.

That said, I'll keep an eye out.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: February 15, 2015, 01:00:03 pm »

It's the main reason I'm functioning as a GM instead of as a player. I want to encourage antagonistic play.

You should check out Paranoia if you like antagonistic play.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: February 15, 2015, 04:37:05 pm »

I decided to change tack a bit.

So I did this instead:

Let's Create a Setting!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:54 pm »

Rex Invictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: February 20, 2015, 02:34:38 pm »

A guy I know is running a game. This is what happened.

(P.S. They're all WoW raiders.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 131