Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194153 times)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #855 on: April 29, 2015, 02:22:31 pm »

Speaking of Magic and gold, one of my friends recently calculated on a whim that Black Lotus cards are worth twice their weight in plutonium.

Of course, that's about 4 grams of plutonium, but still.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 29, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »

Speaking of Magic and gold, one of my friends recently calculated on a whim that Black Lotus cards are worth twice their weight in plutonium.
Yeah I saw that on the frontpage of /r/MagicTCG too :P

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 30, 2015, 01:42:38 am »

Zing.
I heard about the one guy who lost his Black Lotus card in a fire and then tried to convince the insurance company that it was a $50k reimbursable loss.
No idea what happened after that.

In any case, our GM is very big on 'Spirit of the rules, not Letter of the rules'. For instance, my harpoon in the Rolladex says that it only grapples on a crit. I say 'Fuck that noise', GM goes 'Yeah that's pretty dull. Make it if you do more than X damage to them'.
However, if we try to exploit loopholes to make ourselves (more) overpowered, he'll shut it dow
n.
Creating mithril chain out of nothing is the exact same thing - especially as he's now put mithril in as a currency between gold and platinum.

Why Magic Items cost gold.
Blown. Mind. Mine. Is.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 30, 2015, 02:26:39 am »

Zing.
I heard about the one guy who lost his Black Lotus card in a fire and then tried to convince the insurance company that it was a $50k reimbursable loss.
No idea what happened after that.
Pretty sure you'd have to take out a special insurance policy on something like that.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 30, 2015, 04:51:43 am »

D&D 5e survey results.
Highlights:
Another sorcerer option is coming, as are more options for the Four Elemental Monk.
As for Eberron, Artificer and Warforged are going to be altered majorly.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 30, 2015, 09:19:36 am »

The joys of playing with my previous 3.5e group was that our DM was a literal RAW lawyer. As in, real lawyer. He was a professor at our local University and taught constitutional law. Argue that the rules say it's possible, and if you have enough evidence, you could do it, no matter how illogical it seemed.

Of course this also meant most players had a gentleman's agreement not to break the game, but enjoyed getting up to shenanigans occasionally.

Meanwhile, this week my Pathfinder wizard hit level 5 and just got Fireball and Haste, and we're about to explore the 3rd floor of an ancient dwarven ruin. Can't wait to fry some monsters!

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 30, 2015, 10:26:08 am »

The Feng Shui 2 pdf got sent out to backers yesterday and it looks like an interesting read. Can't wait for my dead tree edition to arrive in a few months. Finding my name in the back covers was an interesting experience.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 30, 2015, 02:45:52 pm »

Maybe whoever designed the spells deliberately pegged them to the currency; what the spell actually needs is a threshold of value based on common acceptance of the GP as legal tender as represented by commodities with ties to the effects of the spells. The magic can't run on the gold standard, or the descriptions wouldn't specify coinage. That said, it also specifies gold pieces, excluding silver, copper, and platinum.

Therefore, we can conclude that a conspiracy exists between all casters who use material components across all known planes to intrinsically tie magic to the continued use of gold coins as the currency. They're trying to leverage the importance of their magic to prevent economic development towards the use of fiat money.

Maybe magic just relies on the reflected sound of underground spirits?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 30, 2015, 08:32:00 pm »

I think it's to stop people being like 'Wow! I'm in the plane of earth!, Welp, better gather up double-handfuls of diamonds for those Wishes!'
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 01, 2015, 01:26:17 am »

Maybe whoever designed the spells deliberately pegged them to the currency; what the spell actually needs is a threshold of value based on common acceptance of the GP as legal tender as represented by commodities with ties to the effects of the spells. The magic can't run on the gold standard, or the descriptions wouldn't specify coinage. That said, it also specifies gold pieces, excluding silver, copper, and platinum.

Therefore, we can conclude that a conspiracy exists between all casters who use material components across all known planes to intrinsically tie magic to the continued use of gold coins as the currency. They're trying to leverage the importance of their magic to prevent economic development towards the use of fiat money.

Or to prevent the develop,ent of high technology, as gold, copper, silver, and platinum are all very good electrical conductors
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 01, 2015, 02:15:07 pm »

Quote from: article
95             A romance chapbook written in undercommon titled "Just one Layer of Grey".

I'm slain

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 01, 2015, 03:11:19 pm »

Oh boy, that first trinket table was good, but this one's gold. In coin form, of course.

That self-heating teakettle sounds lovely.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 01, 2015, 06:43:14 pm »

Im just gonna throw a post in here... That link to why they use the value of gold was awesome.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 131