Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194235 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #750 on: April 11, 2015, 11:45:18 am »

Social Justice Games? :v
Love, scriver~

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 11, 2015, 11:46:42 am »

Roll to fight the patriarchy.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 11, 2015, 11:47:23 am »

Steve Jackson Games, they're a boardgame manufacturer/developer
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 12, 2015, 04:35:12 pm »

It seems I forgot to mention International Tabletop Day before it came up. I wasn't able to on the day since I was busy.

Due to various other stuff going on at the time, I wasn't able to get in as much gaming as I'd have liked, but I had five-person a game of King of Tokyo where just me and the last guy were left, and he won with points while on one hitpoint.

Then we had a game of Betrayal at House on the Hill where, due to lucky tile placement, though the traitor was revealed relatively early, we killed him in about two rounds.

And finally, I played Dead of Winter, though not a full game; I replaced someone late in the game for one game and had to leave early for the next. From what I played, though, I could tell it was a pretty cool game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 12, 2015, 10:54:59 pm »

So yesterday I went to... I don't want to call it convention, it sounds too big. About a dozen tables or so of several tabletop games, including 2 or 3 for RPGs. I joined a group doing a one-shot of D&D 5th Edition, and I have to say I liked what I saw. A lot.

It feels like D&D proper (not that I personally have anything against 4th, but even 3.x feels a lot like a videogame with all the meta character "build" and wargame stuff), yet it also feels they tried to get rid of the stupidly big tables of feats, powers, skills, and ever-escalating ranks of everything. They even realized that you can knock a zero off from XP points required for each level and given in encounters and *gasp* it works exactly the same! Math is awesome that way.

Looking forward to gaming a bit more of that. I still probably prefer the more open-ended games like Fate, but this definitely falls into my Will Play Again list.

EDIT: It was indeed related to the Tabletop Day.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 12, 2015, 10:58:57 pm »

Yep, the more I've played with 5e the more I've liked it. It's not perfect, and it lacks a little bit of the quirky charm 3.x had, but it's vastly better than 4e and certainly more balanced and polished than 3.x.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 13, 2015, 12:00:58 am »

That reminds me that I recently picked up the Eberron Campaign Setting. The thing I've notice so far is that, despite the fluff being fantastic, the feats and prestige classes in this book are utter crap for the most part (though, to be fair, it was the early days of 3e, before 3.5 was even released). I feel like the mechanics WoTC release for 5e Eberron races and dragonmarks are much better, at the very least in getting the point across with less verbiage (the artificer they made seems wrong, since it's just a wizard school, but thankfully it's only playtest material.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:05 am »

If I ran a 5e game, i'd probably houserule fighters a d12 hit die again.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 13, 2015, 09:14:44 am »

Personally I love 4e but I won't go any more into that since saying "I like 4e" is a great way to destroy whatever conversation was happening before.

I've been jonesing hard to play Exalted, wanting to watch movies like Hero.  I want to play an unarmed grappling-focused guy who's the latest in a long line of masked martial artists, all sharing a name and a golden mask.  His name is El Sol.  He's a Luchador.

Edit:  Again?  Fighters were never d12 that I know of, they're d10.  Barbarians are d12
Shoes...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2015, 11:47:49 am »

Oh yeah, so they were .I might do it anyway, they're mechanically still one of the weaker classes.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2015, 12:13:57 pm »

Oh yeah, so they were .I might do it anyway, they're mechanically still one of the weaker classes.
Just give them ability to juggle opponents a la fighting games.
._.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 13, 2015, 12:16:01 pm »

They're mechanically still one of the weaker classes.
What? 1d10+level healing as a bonus action and an extra action every short rest, plus full Extra Attack progression, plus either doubling or tripling your crit range, 4 d8s to enhance damage and control the movement of your enemies that refresh every short rest, or wizard (abjuration or evocation) spellcasting, which includes a teleport that accompanies Action Surge.
This isn't even including the seven (7) ability score improvements they receive.
They're not great, but they certainly don't suck either. They are solidly mid-teir.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2015, 01:36:31 pm »

The biggest thing, though, is that the gap is smaller. I only have experience with Wizard play among 5e casters, but the new concentration mechanic pretty much kneecaps any chance of the old abuses of action economy that made them really nasty in 3.x.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 13, 2015, 02:38:52 pm »

Yeah, running a 5e campaign I can safely say fighters are very definitely back in the game. Played to the same skill as a wizard, they'll still fall off a bit at later levels, but they're still solid.

That said, I haven't actually noticed any classes that are noticeably under/overpowered yet. Although I haven't seen all of them in action, or at higher levels.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 13, 2015, 03:05:04 pm »

I think the weakest might be rangers; they feel like they don't scale well to me.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 131