Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194245 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Thread: Freemium Is the Future
« Reply #735 on: April 01, 2015, 04:24:15 pm »

Nah, it's fine. Other Hasbro intellectual property has a specific exemption, since they can leverage it to multiply profits on both sides. All you have to do is send in your houserules and setting information. Then, once they decide on whether it's worthwhile, it will either be incorporated into official products, or else they will decide that it's so terrible that it would qualify as defamation of character if allowed to persist, and you will be legally prohibited from using it. They've already implemented this policy with some of their other stuff - why do you think MLP's slogan is "Friendship is Magic"? It's just to sell cards.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 01, 2015, 04:25:16 pm »

Maybe they can officially license all this stuff then and make you pay for DLC for settings. e.g. by banning house rules, no-one can upload e.g. a set of Dr Who house rules without getting shut down. But the WotC company can then license a Dr Who setting and sell the ebook for cash.

The bronies will fight against that tooth and nail. You know they love their homebrew MLP settings.
I finally have a reason to agree with the bronies.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: April 01, 2015, 04:32:17 pm »

To be fair, GWS mastered the art of making the fan pay a lot for a little at a time millennia ago.
Well, yeah, but lately they've realized they were pricing themselves out of the market, so they opened up the intellectual property so that you only need to pay a very small royalty fee on earnings, started publishing 3D printer schematics for all their miniatures, and sell the actual figures for material + shipping + 5%.

In related news, D&D Tomorrow will be exactly the same as 4E.

That sounds entirely too reasonable for GWS.

So it must be heresy.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 01, 2015, 04:34:54 pm »

I think you guys are overreacting, I think this is will be a huge benefit to the hobby.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #740 on: April 03, 2015, 12:53:35 am »

Well, yeah, but lately they've realized they were pricing themselves out of the market, so they opened up the intellectual property so that you only need to pay a very small royalty fee on earnings, started publishing 3D printer schematics for all their miniatures, and sell the actual figures for material + shipping + 5%.
I feel we need a visible sign of the incredibly heavy sarcasm you must be laying on here.
Either that or link please.

Far as I noticed, GW released their next ed. of gameplay some 4 years early so that they could push new models (this being immediately after the CEO stepped down), and introduced the 'Super Heavy' class so that they could push new, BIG, EXPENSIVE models.
Hell, if I didn't know better I'd say they were introducing power creep too.

Why can't they just make a Warhammer online TBS which is exactly like the tabletop?
That would sort most of the balance issues, they'd pull a MUCH larger playerbase, they could FTP the game and microtransaction the models, and they could push the tabletop game in advertising Everywhere on it.
Urgh. I need to make a phone call.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 10, 2015, 05:15:14 pm »

Pro Tour Dragons of Tarkir has been pretty fun so far.  There's a tonne of different decks floating around, and some really whacky rogue ones doing surprisingly well including RG Bees, Mono-green Strength from the Fallen and of course 5-colour Chromantiflayer.  The highlight was probably a successful on-camera bestowing of Chromanticore onto Soulflayer, resulting in an 8/8 Flying, First Strike, Vigilance, Trample, Lifelink, Hexproof, Indestructible creature.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 10, 2015, 05:22:08 pm »

Pro Tour Dragons of Tarkir has been pretty fun so far.  There's a tonne of different decks floating around, and some really whacky rogue ones doing surprisingly well including RG Bees, Mono-green Strength from the Fallen and of course 5-colour Chromantiflayer.  The highlight was probably a successful on-camera bestowing of Chromanticore onto Soulflayer, resulting in an 8/8 Flying, First Strike, Vigilance, Trample, Lifelink, Hexproof, Indestructible creature.
You visiting, playing, or watching the stream?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 10, 2015, 05:25:35 pm »

I watched the stream a bit today, there's some information on the Wizards site.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptdtk

I'll try and find timestamps for the chromantiflayer match and Owen Turtenwald losing to the crazy SftF deck (although that deck is currently 6th, we might see it on-stream again).

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #744 on: April 10, 2015, 07:34:02 pm »

I just noticed this thread for the first time. I haven't read through it, so apologies if this has come up already, but have any of you ever heard of Quantumgame?

I found a beat-up old copy of this game, made in 1984, at a yard sale for $1, maybe 10 years ago. I bought it on a whim. Turned out to be hands down the greatest board game I'd ever played. It comes with a big book which is mostly full of an analysis of the history of board gaming, only 2 pages of which are the actual game rules.

The goal is simple: fill the 4 center cups with your color pieces. There are 3 types of pieces, each of which has a specific type of move - but the pieces can change during play. It's a perfectly balanced game with a random start each time. Since the game is so unpredictable, you can never plan far in advance - you have to play creatively at all times. And whenever you think you've got your opponent on the ropes, something can happen to completely reverse the situation. It's part checkers, part chess, and part poker. A strategy board game where psychological warfare is a common tactic.

I've taught everyone I could find how to play the game. Spent most of this week playing against my grandfather (who only beat me once). Taught my mom today. Taught all my friends in Prague and we meet often specifically to play this game. And all this time, all these years, I had believed the game to be out of print and impossible to obtain. Just yesterday, however, I discovered the above link - you can still buy a new copy of this game from the creator, a German-born engineer, researcher, and author of books on "recreational mathematics" who currently lives in New Jersey. I immediately ordered a copy for my grandfather to play after I go back to Europe. It's not cheap ($45 including shipping to US, bit more for international), but for what it is, I swear it is absolutely worth it.

Actually, I'd really love to see a digital version of this game. It would be *great* for online play, if it wouldn't be too difficult to code...

tl;dr version: Playing this game makes me feel like Ender. If you can afford it, I highly recommend ordering a copy. You will not regret it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 10, 2015, 07:54:25 pm »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:28:32 pm by penguinofhonor »

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 11, 2015, 07:15:58 am »

Since Kickstarter was mentioned, I'll mention one of my own.

Car Wars.

If you like vintage games, that's all you need to hear. The story is basically irrelevant. You're a person in a car with weapons strapped to it. You shoot at other people in their own cars with weapons strapped to them. We play the 1991 card game quite often at work, which greatly simplifies the whole thing. That doesn't mean I'm not backing, though.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 11, 2015, 08:31:12 am »

That board game sounds strangely interesting. I might mention it to my board game-fanatic roomate.

In 40k news, I started working on my 3 heavy weapons teams only to realize they're duplicate sprues.
That means I'm gonna have three of the same guys with the same faces and the same actions, with slightly different postures depending on how much I care about it.
Well I care. So I'm currently trying to mod/kit bash them to drastically change their looks.
It is proving difficult.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: April 11, 2015, 09:06:56 am »

Replace a hand here and a leg there with some greenstuff? That's probably facetious coming from someone who doesn't actually do miniatures.

In tabletop/board/card gaming news, I recently learned that Arctic Scavengers is getting a reprint which should be out around may or june. I'm quite giddy considering the game currently sells close to a hundred $/€ with shipping no matter where I've looked.
Could be a fun first deck builder to get into if it sold at a more reasonable price.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 11, 2015, 10:57:08 am »

That board game sounds strangely interesting. I might mention it to my board game-fanatic roomate.

Most stuff by SJ Games is.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 131