Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 194269 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #675 on: March 19, 2015, 05:38:35 pm »

I dunno about lawful. Some magic is very chaotic. Sorcerers for example. If he was for all magic he'd probably have to be true neutral. Although not in the druid sense, more a weak true neutral. Probably.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: March 19, 2015, 06:01:00 pm »

I think we can make this work as soon as you figure out exactly what moral stature magic happens to have independently of the alignment system. What are "magical" acts, as opposed to good or evil? Presumably, taking your spouse out on a memorable date might qualify, while revealing a stage performer's secrets would be a violation.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: March 19, 2015, 06:12:17 pm »

James Randi: Paladin of Magic Enemy Number One
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 19, 2015, 06:13:39 pm »

If I invent a "Paladin of Magic" class, what is his alignment? What does it radiate? Or how about a "Paladin of GP" :D

Paladin of magic is pretty simple. An aura of magic, as per detect magic.

Exactly. No Good, Evil, Law or Chaos radiated. He wouldn't have to be True Neutral, as he would be a champion of the use of Magic in all its forms, but he would do what's necessary to make Magic used more. He wouldn't necessarily make sure that Magic is used in all its aligned forms to keep some semblance of Balance, like that psychopath the Druid.
He would be lawful neutral, and exemplify the path of learning and intelligence. He may even be 'that atheist guy'.
So I think he'd be bound to not tolerate stupidity.

I think there's alrerady a class for that.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 19, 2015, 06:22:50 pm »

So I started playing a little Legacy on Magic Online today.

There truly is no better feeling than seeing your opponent scoop after you vial in a Spirit of the Labyrinth in response to him casting Brainstorm.

Death and Taxes is a very aptly named deck :D

For those who do not play Magic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 19, 2015, 07:06:43 pm »

D&T is pretty interesting, it's strange how what at first glance looks like White Weenie is competitive in Legacy.  Then you look at it closer and realize how badly 4 Wasteland 4 Rishidan Port fucks with a lot of decks and suddenly it makes more sense.

I mean the other day I was able to prevent a Show and Tell player from going off just because he was never able to cast a 3 mana spell.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 19, 2015, 07:09:43 pm »

I sadly have neither of those cards :/

Port is 150 dollars online and Wasteland 70. Waste will most likely get reprinted when Tempest Remastered comes out in May though, and I can only assume Port will get reprinted within a few years too...

Luckily Karakas is like 50 cents online, so I got that sweet Karakas + Mangara of Corondor action going already :P

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 19, 2015, 07:11:12 pm »

why don't we all play some MTG?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 19, 2015, 07:12:36 pm »

Assuming you mean MTGO, my username is Dutchling...

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 19, 2015, 07:25:26 pm »

Assuming you mean MTGO, my username is Dutchling...

nah, I don't have MTGO. Just ye olde cards. It was more a rhetorical thing anyway. However, if I acquire MTGO I will play with thee. On that note, HOW IS MTGO??? better and or worse than doing it face to face??? How is the card selection?

EDIT: I hear MTG - Duels of The Planeswalkers 2014 is best?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:27:12 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 19, 2015, 07:31:18 pm »

It's not... great. If you want to grind for tournaments or draft hours on end it's amazing though. I also think Pauper and Block Constructed are played almost solely online. I prefer playing casual in paper though, but I'm currently trying out this budget Death and Taxes list. Definitely not playing in any online tournaments for the foreseeable future though.

Card Selection is like 99%+ of the cards. I know some random Portal cards are missing, but I don't think anything relevant.

edit: Duels of the Planeswalkers is something entirely different. The Duels games have a very limited card pool, and other than 2015, very limited deck building tools. Other than the deck building part people seem to prefer 2014 yes. There is a free upcoming (presumably) Steam game called Magic Origins though. Don't know much about that.

Basically MTGO is the exact same thing as Magic the Gathering, but online.

Duels of the Planeswalkers has a simplified (you won't notice this 90% of the time) rules engines and has a very limited card pool and is mainly designed for playing against the AI or casually online. It's not a replacement for actual Magic. It is a great way to learn how to play the game however.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 07:38:11 pm by Dutchling »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:42 pm »

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 19, 2015, 07:54:33 pm »

Is that the one where you can steal all the AI's cards by abusing ante?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 19, 2015, 07:55:23 pm »

And the final boss comes at you with a 200 card deck.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 19, 2015, 07:59:39 pm »

Now I kindof want to just play the original DotP.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 131