Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192714 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1800 on: January 18, 2017, 03:27:37 pm »

My gaming drought is finally coming to an end. While it wasn't exactly my first choice, I've got a Deadlands Reloaded game on Saturday. Seriously, I live in the home of Gen Con. Finding a non-Encounters non-PFS game should not be this difficult.

I'm not sure if all hucksters are supposed to be Gambit expys but that's what I ended up with. Now I just have to decide how far I personally want to go. I'm improving on my card riffling skills but have not yet determined if I want to wear the cowboy hat with small wooden skulls on it to the game.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1801 on: January 18, 2017, 03:32:18 pm »

My gaming drought is finally coming to an end. While it wasn't exactly my first choice, I've got a Deadlands Reloaded game on Saturday. Seriously, I live in the home of Gen Con. Finding a non-Encounters non-PFS game should not be this difficult.

I'm not sure if all hucksters are supposed to be Gambit expys but that's what I ended up with. Now I just have to decide how far I personally want to go. I'm improving on my card riffling skills but have not yet determined if I want to wear the cowboy hat with small wooden skulls on it to the game.
It's a good second choice if your cowboy hat with actual little skulls is at the cleaners.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1802 on: February 15, 2017, 10:02:05 pm »

I don't know who all follows this kind of thing, but Song of Swords, that successor to Riddle of Steel and all-around good combat game, has finally got a kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1803 on: February 15, 2017, 10:20:05 pm »

Interesting.
Someone tried to get me into a different tabletop kickstarter (Clockwork angels, someone?), but it's generally pretty rare that they'll take off in Australia so I end up with nobody to play with.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1804 on: February 16, 2017, 12:23:02 am »

Interesting.
Someone tried to get me into a different tabletop kickstarter (Clockwork angels, someone?), but it's generally pretty rare that they'll take off in Australia so I end up with nobody to play with.
This one has a decent internet community, so you can do it the roll20 way. But yeah, if you want to do it around an actual table, probably sell your group on it first. That's the problem with smaller games in smaller markets.

Shub-Nullgurath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #1805 on: April 01, 2017, 01:25:48 am »

Autarch are doing the Heroic Fantasy & Barbarian Conquerors Collection: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/autarch/heroic-fantasy-and-barbarian-conquerors-collection/description

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1806 on: April 04, 2017, 05:54:54 pm »

Anyone played any good board games lately?  I've always been a fan of the idea, but it's just recently I've started any serious attempts at building a collection.

Castles of Burgundy is near the top of the list of games I want to try at the moment.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1807 on: April 04, 2017, 06:50:43 pm »

Anyone played any good board games lately?  I've always been a fan of the idea, but it's just recently I've started any serious attempts at building a collection.

Castles of Burgundy is near the top of the list of games I want to try at the moment.

Villages isn't quite a board game, but it's a pretty awesome table-top card game to play with freinds!

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1808 on: April 04, 2017, 07:01:11 pm »

You can get tabletop simulator, off of steam and play lots of different board games.

But if you're looking a quick list. DC Deckbuilding game, Talisman, Settlers of Catan, Arkham Horror.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1809 on: April 04, 2017, 07:24:30 pm »

You can get tabletop simulator, off of steam and play lots of different board games.

I have that, actually.  Was going to play online with one guy, but he seems AWOL recently.  Boo.

Also noted.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1810 on: April 04, 2017, 07:46:15 pm »

You can hit me up on steam. misterwigggles666. Generally I'm free around 10pm pst but can play earlier then that, just have to stop semi frequently
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1811 on: April 04, 2017, 08:07:04 pm »

If you want a good idea of what a game is like in play, Wil Wheaton's Tabletop is pretty decent. For a more varied review show, I tend to prefer Shut Up & Sit Down, which doesn't go into the details of play as much, but has short episodes and has covered a lot more games. They also have written reviews on their website.

As for game recommendations, I don't think you could go wrong with Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre (or just Epic Spell Wars), King of Tokyo, and/or Betrayal at House on the Hill (though it's probably the most complicated of the three). All of them are good for playing with both casual and hardcore board gamers. If you can gather a decent-sized group to play on somewhat regular basis, Zombicide and it's fantasy spin-off Zombicide: Black Plague are quite good (not that the game is too terribly complex, but playing well requires a good understand of the rules and a lot of tactical thinking, and games of it tend to go on longer than a casual player would probably be comfortable with).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1812 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:40 pm »

I've pretty much devoured all of SUSD recently; I should probably move on to Tabletop.

I'm moderately looking for some sort of area control wargame type, with Memoir 44 being in my sights as one option.  I've always loved the concept of tabletop wargaming, but the majority of them are frightfully expensive to break into.

Pandemic is sitting on my shelf just waiting for my girlfriend to feel well enough to come over and play.  Yes, I see the irony.

EDIT:  I also caved and backed Dinosaur Island on kickstarter based mostly on theme.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1813 on: April 05, 2017, 10:54:25 pm »

One of my favorite games is Fluxx (not much the standard game, but I really like the Zombie Fluxx and Star Fluxx variants), you could try that one.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1814 on: June 13, 2017, 03:48:19 am »

I bought a copy of Exploding Kittens off a grad student at my uni, and I just today got around to playing it. It's a quality game. There's a really interesting level of strategy that goes into it when it comes down to the wire, especially when it's between just two people.
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 131