Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 131

Author Topic: Tabletop Games Thread  (Read 192800 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tabletop Games Thread
« Reply #1710 on: July 12, 2016, 10:27:09 pm »

I'd say that Pathfinder is basically 3.5 with some token differences and significantly more free content.

And you know... significantly improved classes and level up system.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: July 13, 2016, 02:28:47 am »

Got onto WoD.
Is Masquerade or Requiem better?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: July 13, 2016, 07:11:08 am »

Got onto WoD.
Is Masquerade or Requiem better?

This gives a good overview if you don't care about the nitty gritty nWoD vs oWoD differences.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: July 13, 2016, 09:03:13 am »

I'd say that Pathfinder is basically 3.5 with some token differences and significantly more free content.

And you know... significantly improved classes and level up system.

Especially the level up system: 3.5 had a lot of "empty levels" in the class progressions; in Pathfinder 99% of the levels give you SOMETHING related to your class, even if that it's only a power-up for one of your class abilities. Also, reaching level 20 gives a great "ultimate ability", so you are rewarded for investing in that (less relevant, because the majority of games don't reach level 20 and then go on much longer)
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: July 13, 2016, 12:53:40 pm »

I loved capstones too. It actually made it worth it to, say, take all 20 levels of [X class] instead of turning your character into some kind of 5-prestige-class monstrosity.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: July 13, 2016, 11:56:49 pm »

Also! My favorite thing, magic items don't cost experience in pathfinder.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: July 14, 2016, 01:08:34 am »

There's a decent rule for that in 3.5e too, replacing the XP cost with an amount of gold (or with BoVD, sacrifices I think).  I forget the exchange rate, but I'm pretty sure it's still profitable to create magic items constantly.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: July 14, 2016, 08:21:24 am »

One of my favourite builds in 3.5e was an archery based build that progressed as Rogue x1/Fighter x2/Ranger x2/Assassin x2/Shadowdancer x4/Horizon Walker x1/Assassin x3/Eldritch Knight x5. It was an absolute monster at shooting stuff, and not much else.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: July 14, 2016, 08:36:17 am »

Meanwhile in pathfinder...

Fighter>Archer x5
Sorceror> x5
Arcane Archer x10

Archetypes are fun.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: July 14, 2016, 08:40:40 am »

Found it! Reposted below for my own reference.

Challenge: Build an optimized ranged combat character using nothing but the PHB and DMG.

Power level: Tier 3. No game breaking abilities, dies if stupid, but has a few tricks to keep things interesting.
Good at: Ranged Weapon Combat, Two Weapon Fighting, Stealth, Reflex and Will Saves, Concealment Bonuses
Bad at: Will Saves, Rogue Skills (unless investing high Int in stats), Social Encounters

Build Breakdown:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: July 16, 2016, 07:29:24 am »

Having issues with deciding between the Fate Core system, or Burning Wheel.

I like BW's stats, chats and funds better, but the one thing which is turning me off is that player characters never really start off more Special- they just start off more Old.
It's rather annoying all-told.
Did you consider jury-rigging aspects and fate points into Burning Wheel?

Could you summarize the benefits and detriments of 3.5, 4 and pathfinder?
I'll give it a try, why not?

3.5 is good in that it has a whole lot to work with. Like, there's a fuckton of books. You can also adapt 3.0 stuff to it, for even more. I've done this for exactly two 3.0 books ever, neither of which were super mechanical, but it's an option. One of my favorite things 3.5 has that no other edition has is rules for adjusting it to use as a wargame, by way of an abortive attempt by Wizards to break into that market. That said, 3.x is dreadfully unbalanced. Pathfinder I haven't really played enough to give a fair shake, but it's largely the same thing anyway. The default tone differs slightly, people seem to care about default setting more, though it's quite generic and the political structures are often poorly considered. There's more impact on development from the foibles of individuals, as is common to a small studio. It claims to be more balanced, and I suppose it probably is, but it's still quite poorly balanced in a lot of ways.
4e is in many ways a different game. It's very balanced and very solid from a combat perspective, but the combat portion of it isn't really designed to be roleplayed out, but to be played with an eye to optimal, which has lead to groups that mostly play hack and slash demeaning it for impeding role playing. A lot of this perception is due to a positive aspect – it's a lot easier to GM and build balanced encounters – so players no longer have the benefit of a significant margin for error when GMs just go easy on them, and can't bitch about the GM picking a bad encounter when everything goes delta foxtrot. That means that being tactically optimal (and optimizing in general) takes center stage a bit more since in 3.x it was pretty much all out the window. I consider this to be the best of these three versions, in that it's still a good system if you want to do the specific thing that it aims to be good at whereas 3.PF has been surpassed in pretty much every way, but I wouldn't pick any of these as a first choice of system for any game that I can think of.

Ehh, reasonably high granularity of results, not as cumbersome as rolling 2D10 as D100 or an actual D100.  Seems like a good die to base your mechanics off of to me, certainly less cumbersome than rolling ND10 or D6 and then counting successes and failures.
Also way more swingy than 2d6, which I'd put at a point against it, with no counterpoint in favor.

Why would I want stable results when chance is involved?  Characters generally receive bonuses to rolls in D20 based games, that's all the safety net they need when rolling for effect.
I was talking about my own taste. I prefer less swingy rolls because they're more realistic and they make particularly high or low rolls stand out more when they happen. I don't like flat rolls because they make crits commonplace and therefore not that big of a deal.

I only play 'at the table' and I ban computers during sessions, so no silly rolling programs for me (or any of my players).
That seems like an awfully arduous restriction, considering all the super useful stuff that's digital these days. Did you have a lot of problems with people screwing around before?

When tabletop gaming the only things that should be at the table are pencils, paper (character sheets and notes), dice and the game books the DM has authorized.  Everything else is a distraction and is forbidden.[/quote]That seems like an awfully arduous restriction, considering all the super useful stuff that's digital these days. It might be worthwhile to try not doing that for a while and see how it works, rather than drawing an ideological line in the sand. You could well find that having everything on a tablet and searchable is way more effective than having a constellation of other paraphernalia to dig through every turn.

It is not a matter of whether or not people are screwing around, it is a matter of basic respect, if you aren't paying attention to what is going on at the table you shouldn't be there.  I've been doing this for twenty years and my experience is that every additional item brought to the table is a detriment to gameplay, I want my players focused and involved.
The same arguments could apply to having books, dice, paper, and pencils at the table. Or anything really, taking this to its logical conclusion there should just be you and your players, with nothing in between. And then you might as well put down the game and take it to the bedroom.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: July 16, 2016, 07:38:48 am »

I like BW's stats, chats and funds better, but the one thing which is turning me off is that player characters never really start off more Special- they just start off more Old.
Weirdly enough no, I've only tried putting FoRKing into Fate.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: July 16, 2016, 08:27:31 am »

When tabletop gaming the only things that should be at the table are pencils, paper (character sheets and notes), dice and the game books the DM has authorized.  Everything else is a distraction and is forbidden.

I get the general concept, and I agree, but this leaves out a LOT of useful things.

(What if a player wants to use fiches to keep track of his points, for instance? Also, music, or sound effects. If done right, those only help the game.)

And it's quite hard to say "No cellphones allowed" if we have to check the rules of the game every 2 minutes on the wiki anyway, because there is always a feat or a skill that you need to read carefully before using it.

Also, if someone doesn't care about what is currently happening in the game, he doesn't really need an external distraction. I saw a player who started reading one of the rulebooks while he was waiting with nothing else to do, while talking to another player who was doing nothing in that scene, and discussing a new character he wanted to build. Luckily it ended immediately, before I had to stop them, but it happens.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: July 16, 2016, 09:51:53 am »

Weirdly enough no, I've only tried putting FoRKing into Fate.
I'd recommend it. I haven't either with BW, but it seems like the biggest thing you'd need to do is rejigger the mechanics of invoking aspects. Then just make all lifepaths count as aspects, and decide about further aspects as you normally would for FATE.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: July 16, 2016, 10:21:39 am »

Ehh, I'd assume aspects fill the role of both life paths and beliefs/instincts.
Which could be a pain.
Pages: 1 ... 113 114 [115] 116 117 ... 131