Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: ASOIAF RPG-An End to Summer (Todo: Done!)  (Read 19105 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Well if not the mountains then perhaps somewhere in the hills to the west of Torrens Square and Barrowtown?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Here's a not bad map for the North.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130429141238/iceandfire/images/5/55/The_North_map.png

Strangely, you have to copy and paste the link in the address bar to see it in full size, not click on it. At least that's how it is working for me. I dunno why.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Doesn't work for me either way.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 01:42:59 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's another one, if that's not working: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120719200112/gameofthrones/images/f/f3/The_North.png

I'm not deeply enthusiastic about moving down to the hills.  I'd prefer setting the house in the southern Frostfangs, either near the coast or near the kingsroad and Long Lake.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Humm. Seems you guys made a little progress, at least.

Well, this currently has a few "ayes" to it. 4/7 seems.

A northern house makes sense for the super ancient house because of the north's ties with the first men and the longevity of the lines in the north.  Compared to some of the northern houses 5000 years is pretty young.

I would suggest putting the house on the western coast of the North.  There are vast, sparsely populated lands there with the !fun! bonus of being very vulnerable to iron island raiders.  So far from the Starks, Boltons and Manderlays the lord of this land would be all but king unto himself, too far to look to the Starks for protection.  Instead the Starks and our house stood as allies against the winter.  But the poverty of the west compared to the center or east of the North means that our house has always had to operate from a position of weakness.  There is no great keep like Winterfell that might be lost in one foul swoop to raiders.  The land is instead dotted with cunningly built outposts in difficult terrain that deny any easy victory to an enemy.  At the heart is the ancestral home of Snowtop Vale, a mountain fortress that has never fallen to a foe.

Name: House Rockhearth
House Motto: Endurance is Victory

Unless anyone wants to put something else forward? I'm going to settle on this.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I like it, but then, why don't we take over Deepwood Motte and the Sea Dragon Point? Just remove House Glover from the setting to make some room.

House Rockhearth sounds nice, but I really like From Snow, Ice. It ties in nicely with the whole "We only have poor lands (snow), but they made hard men (ice) thing. It could also be tied to a story about a famous bastard in our history? Maybe change our name to include ice in it then? House Icehearth got a nice ring to it too.

And since I'm going with the whole Ice and cold thing...

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

I like it, but then, why don't we take over Deepwood Motte and the Sea Dragon Point? Just remove House Glover from the setting to make some room.

House Rockhearth sounds nice, but I really like From Snow, Ice. It ties in nicely with the whole "We only have poor lands (snow), but they made hard men (ice) thing. It could also be tied to a story about a famous bastard in our history? Maybe change our name to include ice in it then? House Icehearth got a nice ring to it too.

And since I'm going with the whole Ice and cold thing...

I think this is a good idea.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

I also like that other coat of arm I found on the intraweb.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, don't worry about moving in a spot that's "taken".

I'll move them around in the lore. :P

Also, nice banner. I like it!

So we've got two claimants to the post throne....

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I like the banner.

How about putting house Rockhearth to the north of Glover, in the mountains to the southeast of the Gift or east of Bear Island?  That does put them closer to Winterfall though and undermines the whole "too far for protection" idea.

An idea occurs:
Instead of Rockhearth we could name the house "Dawn".  The Battle for the Dawn had to have occurred somewhere and the site of that battle would make for a pretty neat pedigree.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 09:50:03 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

According to the wiki, Deepwood Motte is already 450 kilometers from Winterfell. With the shitty roads they have, that's at least 2 weeks to move significant amount of troops. If we go a bit further north, we can easily be 600 km from Winterfell.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

The Rills or the Stoney shore would be about that far from Winterfell but would be closer to the Iron Islands and the raids they entail.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually like the name Icehearth more than Rockhearth, though I'm still a little iffy on that motto.

Still, I suppose I'll defer to the rest of you on that.

According to the wiki, Deepwood Motte is already 450 kilometers from Winterfell. With the shitty roads they have, that's at least 2 weeks to move significant amount of troops. If we go a bit further north, we can easily be 600 km from Winterfell.

If I remember correctly, the North is roughly the size of the continental United States.  So, yes, we'd be pretty far away from Winterfell if we went north of Deepwood Motte.

The Rills or the Stoney shore would be about that far from Winterfell but would be closer to the Iron Islands and the raids they entail.
They'd raid further up the coast, too, and we'd be closer to wildling raids up there.  Besides, I like mountains.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Yeah, having the Wall 'near' is gives more opportunity for shenanigan. The Iron Islanders are going to raid us as long as we're near the shore. They did take Deepwood Motte IIRC.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Okay, north north for all enemies unlocked.  Lets roll!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16